2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #381
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
How in the world do you know this?
Because I feel that Sanders supporters are far, far more politically motivated than those of Obama. See the record breaking rallies, fundraising, showing up on the weekend to flip caucus states that have already voted, etc. He has clearly brought out a level of dedication that hasn't really been seen before in American politics...even if it does just all wash away after the election and people just pat themselves on the backs and go home, he's still going to have far more people willing to march for his causes than any previous President.

Obama's own team feels they believe they made a huge mistake in not making it clear that it isn't just about one election day every four years. The only thing close to a progressive movement was Occupy and that was unsanctioned and a clusterfuck, really (although it did lead to the establishment of plenty of strong politically leftist groups since then).
__________________

BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #382
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
IAnd that's the big difference in a general election as Sanders would get people on the far-left, populist independents, etc. Hillary draws nobody new into the fold.
But Sanders loses people at the same time, there will be a lot of Dems that just stay home, so it really becomes a wash. The far-left is a pretty small portion of our voting population.



Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #383
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,071
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Because I feel that Sanders supporters are far, far more politically motivated than those of Obama. See the record breaking rallies, fundraising, showing up on the weekend to flip caucus states that have already voted, etc. He has clearly brought out a level of dedication that hasn't really been seen before in American politics...even if it does just all wash away after the election and people just pat themselves on the backs and go home, he's still going to have far more people willing to march for his causes than any previous President.

Obama's own team feels they believe they made a huge mistake in not making it clear that it isn't just about one election day every four years. The only thing close to a progressive movement was Occupy and that was unsanctioned and a clusterfuck, really (although it did lead to the establishment of plenty of strong politically leftist groups since then).
I think you're giving Sanders a bit too much credit and not giving clearly enough credit to the "revolution" that Obama created in 2008.
mikal is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #384
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,071
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Yeah, Hilary doesn't draw excitement because she is basically the safe candidate, so it's easy for people to get excited by someone who yells "establishment! estabishment!" And I'm not surprised he's popular with Millennials since all he does is complain.
mikal is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
What revolution did Obama have? He entered with a bare Senate majority where Republicans used every trick in the books to delay progress and it only got worse from there.

Where were the rallies and marches in support of the ACA? Where were the people lining up in streets for a minimum wage increase?

There was nothing. No mobilizing of voters. No local political groups to help shape public sentiment. Nothing. Hell, even in a lot of states, Democratic voters often checked the Obama box and then hung out the Democrats down ballot to dry. This is clearly evident in the nationwide House results which were always millions of votes worse for the Democrats. If he couldn't even get people to bother to fill out their ballots completely, what did you expect to happen?
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #386
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yeah, Hilary doesn't draw excitement because she is basically the safe candidate, so it's easy for people to get excited by someone who yells "establishment! estabishment!" And I'm not surprised he's popular with Millennials since all he does is complain.
She's the safe candidate because she takes every stance on every issue. Not to mention changes her accent depending on her location.
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #387
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,071
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
What revolution did Obama have?
Well, he won his party's nomination, which is looking pretty unlikely for Sanders.
mikal is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #388
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
So there was a Mitt Romney revolution as well? How exciting!
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #389
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
And this pretty much says it all:

BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #390
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 7,124
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Well, he won his party's nomination, which is looking pretty unlikely for Sanders.
I'm cautiously optimistic for him but yeah numbers aren't too great, i got to admit. too bad he wasn't black like Obama , which helped him win the votes in South.
Mack_Again is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #391
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,071
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
So there was a Mitt Romney revolution as well? How exciting!
Do I see a strawman?

Seriously though, if Bernie wins the nomination I'll vote for him. Just think some of his fans are getting way too wrapped up in the Obama/Hilary hate.
mikal is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #392
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Well, we're just excited about potentially having a liberal President for the first time in decades.
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #393
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,071
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Ugh....Bernie fans....
mikal is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #394
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Hey, bro, I support those that get things done. He's the ammendment king.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...t-king-1995-2/


Whereas Clinton sponsored a whopping three pieces of successful legislation while in the Senate...



That's Clinton "getting things done" #HillarySoQualified
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #395
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 7,124
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Ugh....Bernie fans....
yep that unfortunately sums things up.
Mack_Again is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #396
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Yeah, those pesky Bernie supporters posting their facts and truths! My god, the horror!
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #397
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
i got to admit. too bad he wasn't black like Obama , which helped him win the votes in South.

:facepalm:


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #398
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 7,124
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
:facepalm:


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
no way people were race-blind during that election
Mack_Again is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #399
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,071
Local Time: 10:04 PM
I tend to always stick with my own race when it comes to voting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
mikal is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #400
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,225
Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
What revolution did Obama have? He entered with a bare Senate majority where Republicans used every trick in the books to delay progress and it only got worse from there.

Where were the rallies and marches in support of the ACA? Where were the people lining up in streets for a minimum wage increase?

There was nothing. No mobilizing of voters. No local political groups to help shape public sentiment. Nothing. Hell, even in a lot of states, Democratic voters often checked the Obama box and then hung out the Democrats down ballot to dry. This is clearly evident in the nationwide House results which were always millions of votes worse for the Democrats. If he couldn't even get people to bother to fill out their ballots completely, what did you expect to happen?
Sorry to be a wet blanket here. But there will be absolutely no difference in what happens in the aftermath if Bernie is elected. THey will quickly evaporate. His largest base of support is the single most unreliable voting block in existence.

Case in point. In the Wisconsin primary. One of the most important elections on the ballot was for WI supreme court. A full 16% of Bernie voters, voted for Bernie and left the rest of the ballot blank. Only 4% of Hillary voters did the same thing. The writing is on the wall, and it's because Bernie himself radiates this to his supporters. Anyone but him, and chosen few are the real progressives. Screw everyone else.

Obama had a LARGER coalition, a much, much more diverse coalition, and a coalition that was just as fired up and dedicated as Bernie fans.
The reason that we keep hearing that turnout is down across the board is because its getting compared to Obama's unprecidented numbers in 2008.

Also, throw this in the mix:

Bernie has for the most part cynically taken the DEM name. Did he have to, in order to have a chance? Yes. And I'm ok with that. BUT
Should he then be an active part of the party workings and actually fundraise and support other members of the party? Hell YES. Has he? Hell No.
In fact, he pretty much has labeled anyone in the Dem party, other than those that support or endorse him, as sell-outs and "establishment"

This not only handicaps the fundraising efforts of the DNC, who help to run local and state Dems across the country. But do you think that Bernie, if nominated is going to throw his endorsement behind Dems that he has already labeled "establishment" and corporate shills??

The way this is going, it could be absolute disaster for the party at large. Him calling Clinton unqualified is another nail being driven in.
__________________

womanfish is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×