2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL @ half the posters making $250K USD/year.

Fan gathering at Goldman Sachs?

Dazzled - Bruce doing "Because the Night" on live 75-85 is amazing. It was originally his song that he gave to Patti when they were working in studio. Hybrid cover I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Being a super fan of both groups this was such a fabulous surprise!

So love the nets to refine memories. That show I was at was Dec 30 1977. (wow forgot it practically New Years) This was the first time they sang the song live.

It sometimes does feel like this forum could be called "The Upper Middle Class Complaining About How The Rent Is Too Damn High".

It sometimes does feel like this forum could be called "The Upper Middle Class Complaining About How The Rent Is Too Damn High".

I'm towards the other end of the contnium. And i don't mean the .5% . heh.

(Though I did grow up Middle- Middle class. Maybe even more Upper-Middle class first 6 years because my parents, me my sib and our grandma went to Florida by plane. Just looked up history on it and it was way more expensive back then)

Last edited:
Oh man. I forgot about all that extra money I have laying around. Maybe I will go to a few extra concerts this summer after all :hyper:

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah, this is me earlier today:

mcpato.gif

Oh man. I forgot about all that extra money I have laying around. Maybe I will go to a few extra concerts this summer after all :hyper:

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm annoyed he didn't remind me of my extra money last week. I could've gotten GA tickets for Radiohead off Stubhub.

I'm really glad that Bernie didn't win the nomination. I was able to buy a new iPad Pro with confidence yesterday.

oh, look. a poll that has Hillz up by 4.

in Georgia.

Poll: Clinton leads Trump in Georgia - POLITICO

Bernie would be up by 400 points!!! God damn it!!! We picked the wrong one!!!!

Here's a interesting story, one I think we've touched on a few times in here and other discussions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...4ece4a-5a78-11e6-831d-0324760ca856_story.html

I don't think it's limited to just Trump supporters, but more so towards our nation as a whole. Example: 30%+ of our population believe vaccines cause autism despite not a shred of evidence saying so.

At some point I feel a shift has occurred where our feelings seem to matter more than fact. It's a difficult thing to accept something you believed your whole life to be false, but that's where some humility and compassion come in. To get perspective, analyze, and make informed decisions based on the best information available.

Instead we plug our ears and say LALALALALALLALALALA....lady with a spinning head

The best part of all of this is that Trump defeated 15 GOP candidates to get to this point.

Think on that for a bit.

He beat them at their own game. You could really see the frustration on Jeb!

I think he took more shit from Trump than anyone else, and was completely powerless to do anything about it.

This is what you get when you value bullshit over everything else.

The problem is that GOP candidates couldn't really criticize Trump too strongly because they depended on the same base voters. As it turns out, you can't win a general election appealing only to non-college educated white voters.

ironically, the beginning of the end of the GOP actually began in 1992 at the GOP Convention when Pat Buchanan gave this famous speech, that critically included these now infamous lines:

Mr Clinton, however, has a different agenda.

At its top is unrestricted abortion on demand. When the Irish-Catholic governor of Pennsylvania, Robert Casey, asked to say a few words on behalf of the 25 million unborn children destroyed since Roe v Wade, he was told there was no place for him at the podium of Bill Clinton’s convention, no room at the inn.

Yet a militant leader of the homosexual rights movement could rise at that convention and exult: “Bill Clinton and Al Gore represent the most pro-lesbian and pro-gay ticket in history.” And so they do.

Bill Clinton supports school choice–but only for state-run schools. Parents who send their children to Christian schools, or Catholic schools, need not apply.

Elect me, and you get two for the price of one, Mr Clinton says of his lawyer-spouse. And what does Hillary believe? Well, Hillary believes that 12-year-olds should have a right to sue their parents, and she has compared marriage as an institution to slavery–and life on an Indian reservation.

Well, speak for yourself, Hillary.

Friends, this is radical feminism. The agenda Clinton & Clinton would impose on America–abortion on demand, a litmus test for the Supreme Court, homosexual rights, discrimination against religious schools, women in combat–that’s change, all right. But it is not the kind of change America wants. It is not the kind of change America needs. And it is not the kind of change we can tolerate in a nation that we still call God’s country.

such conservative cultural viewpoints don't easily mesh with supply-side economics, and it was only a matter of time before the two became incompatible. the supply-siders held on for more than 20 years. Palin was a foreshadow, Trump is now the monster turning on itself.

something new will come out of this, and who knows, since we all make $250k a year, we might vote for the new incarnation of the politcal party of the supply siders

Republicans haven't done themselves any favors in order to win over the rest of the country over the past few decades, but I feel there's clearly a conservative trend that peaked in the 80s and then continued to falter as their constituents died off. Where we're at now was inevitable and it's only going to continue being a less favorable environment for their brand of politics.

The way I see it, Americans haven't necessarily shifted their stances on war or gay marriage over the last couple decades. It's mostly just been due to old, white and conservative people dying off and being replaced by young adults with a much different worldview. That can lead to much wider swings than you think over the course of ten to twenty years.

Last edited:
such conservative cultural viewpoints don't easily mesh with supply-side economics, and it was only a matter of time before the two became incompatible. the supply-siders held on for more than 20 years. Palin was a foreshadow, Trump is now the monster turning on itself.

Bingo. They were willing to make side deals with people whose views are ultimately incompatible with their goals. In some ways, the world is doing the supply-siders a favour by offering up Hillary Clinton as the alternative because truly she is not that offensive to them. These people would have been in a real pickle if a far more leftist candidate was heading the Democrats into the election.

Also as an aside, the Palin --> Trump evolution strikes me as a good example of how sexism still runs rampant in politics. Think about the treatment she (deservedly) received from the media and most thinking people. She was ridiculed daily for her lack of knowledge, her prideful ignorance, not reading books, making idiotic statements, her run-on sentences were turned into songs, she was called Caribou Barbie - among other things. Yes, we all think the Orange one knows nothing and is a terrifying prospect and yet the media still treats him with a degree of deference as if he is a real, legitimate candidate. Sarah Palin was equally as ignorant and probably half as hateful, spiteful and dangerous, and took a hell of a lot more flak for it.

Also as an aside, the Palin --> Trump evolution strikes me as a good example of how sexism still runs rampant in politics. Think about the treatment she (deservedly) received from the media and most thinking people. She was ridiculed daily for her lack of knowledge, her prideful ignorance, not reading books, making idiotic statements, her run-on sentences were turned into songs, she was called Caribou Barbie - among other things. Yes, we all think the Orange one knows nothing and is a terrifying prospect and yet the media still treats him with a degree of deference as if he is a real, legitimate candidate. Sarah Palin was equally as ignorant and probably half as hateful, spiteful and dangerous, and took a hell of a lot more flak for it.

Yup. I talked about the Palin/Trump double standard a couple of weeks ago, and it's an incredibly under-reported story of sexism, mostly because Palin is awful too. While Trump gets the unprepared/temperamental label, he's not been called out for his flat-out ignorance, laziness, lack of reading or poor intellect. His knowledge of the world is basically the same as Palin's, which should be even more damning, as the guy had the opportunity to travel/interact with foreigners/grow up in a cosmopolitan city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom