2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a natural tendency
To squeeze off a shot
You're good fun at parties
You wear the right masks
You're old but you still
Like a laugh in the locker room
You can't abide change
You're at home an the range
You opened your suitcase
Behind the old workings
To show off the magnum
You deafened the canyon
A comfort a friend
Only upstaged in the end
By the Uzi machine gun
Does the recoil remind you
Remind you of sex
Old man what the hell you gonna kill next
Old timer who you gonna kill next
I looked over Jordan and what did I see
Saw a U.S. Marine in a pile of debris
I swam in your pools
And lay under your palm trees
I looked in the eyes of the Indian
Who lay on the Federal Building steps
And through the range finder over the hill
I saw the frontline boys popping their pills
Sick of the mess they find
On their desert stage
And the bravery of being out of range
Yeah the question is vexed
Old man what the hell you gonna kill next
Old timer who you gonna kill next
Hey bartender over here
Two more shots
And two more beers
Sir turn up the TV sound
The war has started on the ground
Just love those laser guided bombs
They're really great
For righting wrongs
You hit the target
And win the game
From bars 3,000 miles away
3,000 miles away
We play the game
With the bravery of being out of range
We zap and maim
We strafe the train
We gained terrain
We play the game

fuck drones.

They have their reasons, certainly, and are entitled to an investigation. Obviously, they probably wish they could have done it concurrently with the FBI so this would all get over with sooner, but I understand why they had suspended their investigation at the time.

"In the early 2016 wave of the Institute for the Study of Citizenship and Politics panel that I conducted with my University of Pennsylvania colleague Diana Mutz and others, we asked respondents who they support. We then asked a follow-up question about why. In their answers, Sanders supporters were more than three times as likely as Clinton supporters to name a policy position, with 19 percent of his backers naming policies such as wealth redistribution and health care. That is certainly in keeping with the idea that Sanders’s left-leaning positions are a reason some people were feeling the Bern."

Does Bernie Sanders Represent The Future Of The Democratic Party? | FiveThirtyEight

Name recognition. That's all it was for Clinton's primary victory.

"In the early 2016 wave of the Institute for the Study of Citizenship and Politics panel that I conducted with my University of Pennsylvania colleague Diana Mutz and others, we asked respondents who they support. We then asked a follow-up question about why. In their answers, Sanders supporters were more than three times as likely as Clinton supporters to name a policy position, with 19 percent of his backers naming policies such as wealth redistribution and health care. That is certainly in keeping with the idea that Sanders’s left-leaning positions are a reason some people were feeling the Bern."

Does Bernie Sanders Represent The Future Of The Democratic Party? | FiveThirtyEight

Name recognition. That's all it was for Clinton's primary victory.

Stating "health care" or "wealth distribution" is a platitude it's not a plan. It's like stating "I want a wall".

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The voters were stating a policy position of Sanders and were three times as likely to name one for him than Clinton supporters were for their candidate. What's so hard to understand about that?

Are you honestly going to argue that the 80 year-olds living on a farm voting for Clinton or black females in Chicago's south side that barely graduated high school know more about politics than the young people of America today, the most educated generation in American history?

A famous name can get you far. See: Trump and Bush, W.

Are you honestly going to argue that the 80 year-olds living on a farm voting for Clinton or black females in Chicago's south side that barely graduated high school know more about politics than the young people of America today, the most educated generation in American history?

Yes, because that's a totally unbiased and fair representation of the people who voted in the primaries. Only highly educated people voted for Bernie, and only dumb ignorant women voted for Hillary, right? (seriously, do you hear how you come across sometimes?)

BeatDeadHorse.gif~c200

Last edited:
The voters were stating a policy position of Sanders and were three times as likely to name one for him than Clinton supporters were for their candidate. What's so hard to understand about that?

A famous name can get you far. See: Trump and Bush, W.

Are you honestly going to argue that a bunch of sheltered white 19-year old college sophomores in flat, white states who know nothing about the world or how it works or have ever earned a paycheck or taken care of a child or suffered any form of hardship in their lives are going to know about the world and how it works than a middle class black female with a decent job and three kids living in the suburbs?

Last edited:
Are you honestly going to argue that a bunch of sheltered white 19-year old college sophomores in flat, white states who know nothing about the world or how it works or have ever earned a paycheck or taken care of a child or suffered any form of hardship in their lives are going to know about the world and how it works than a middle class black female with a decent job and three kids living in the suburbs?

This. I thought College students understood privilege but I guess not.

Oh wow! Bernie just endorsed Hilary for President. Does that mean his followers will now support her as well? If they don't, then by gosh, do they no longer support Bernie?!?!?

Beautifully said.

Sorry, but what I have seen in this election, was a great increase in interest of young people. But along with it, a dramatic increase of voters, with absolutely no political or life experience, that were manipulated by social media, and the mob mentality at huge rallies, in an unprecedented fashion.

The seething hate that was culled up among a certain amount of Bernie supporters for Clinton, reached delusional levels. An unfortunately, even after today, with their hero, their messiah, coming out and endorsing Clinton, and laying out, point by point why she is the best candidate for almost every issue that he finds important - I see them still saying its all rigged, she's a crook, I'm voting for Stein, blah, blah, blah...

Incredibly sad to see this sort of misinformation being ingrained in fellow liberals. But this is the crazy election year we are in.

I'm guessing this is sarcastic to an extent, but you must know this is an incredibly gross generalization about Bernie supporters.

It's amazing to me that in a country with such a disturbing problem of limited voter turnout and political involvement, that some of you would be so seethingly angry about a candidate like Bernie garnering some enthusiasm.

Beautifully said.

Sorry, but what I have seen in this election, was a great increase in interest of young people. But along with it, a dramatic increase of voters, with absolutely no political or life experience, that were manipulated by social media, and the mob mentality at huge rallies, in an unprecedented fashion.

The seething hate that was culled up among a certain amount of Bernie supporters for Clinton, reached delusional levels. An unfortunately, even after today, with their hero, their messiah, coming out and endorsing Clinton, and laying out, point by point why she is the best candidate for almost every issue that he finds important - I see them still saying its all rigged, she's a crook, I'm voting for Stein, blah, blah, blah...

Incredibly sad to see this sort of misinformation being ingrained in fellow liberals. But this is the crazy election year we are in.

I'll do you one better, I had a Bernie supporter arguing that Trump would be better than Clinton. She hated them both, but truly thinks Clinton is worse because Trump couldn't actually do the horrible things he talks about. Seriously.

Funnily enough, I was a college student in the mid-90s and cast my first presidential vote for Bill Clinton. I am happy to cast my 5th for Hillary.

It's amazing to me that in a country with such a disturbing problem of limited voter turnout and political involvement, that some of you would be so seethingly angry about a candidate like Bernie garnering some enthusiasm.

Well, what the concern was though is that as his campaign went on, it seemed like the enthusiasm of his supporters went from the actual issues to turning against Hilary in a delusional way to the point where I wouldn't have been surprised to see a Bernie supporter claim that Hilary joined ISIS.

Glad that Bernie is endorsing her now and hopefully that reverses some of the damage.

Overall, I don't have a huge problem with Bernie, mostly a population of his supporters (notice I didn't say 'all supporters).

I for one am thrilled that Bernie was able to move the platform to the left. I also enjoy seeing young people energized. I agree with Mikal that where it got grating was the demonization of Hillary. But that was mostly on the interwebz, luckily my actual friends who were Bernie supporters may not have liked Hillary, but they didn't disrespect her. Most of them will be voting for her, with the rest voting for Stein.

I'm guessing this is sarcastic to an extent, but you must know this is an incredibly gross generalization about Bernie supporters.
I think he was offering gross generalization in response to extremely pathetic gross racist generalization.

I'm baffled as to where you get this feeling?! You've made some statement like this several times now, do you really believe there's a "seething anger" in here about Bernie?

I think he was offering gross generalization in response to extremely pathetic gross racist generalization.

I'm baffled as to where you get this feeling?! You've made some statement like this several times now, do you really believe there's a "seething anger" in here about Bernie?

Well let's see: I believe it was Headache who referred to him as a "sniveling cunt," Irvine reducing his supporters to a pack of spoiled brats, multiple claims that his supporters are as bad as Trump's...how would you classify that? Even-handed debate?

Well let's see: I believe it was Headache who referred to him as a "sniveling cunt," Irvine reducing his supporters to a pack of spoiled brats, multiple claims that his supporters are as bad as Trump's...how would you classify that? Even-handed debate?

I think this is really selective remembering, and you're conflating characterization of one loud, eager poster in here with all of Bernie's supporters. I feel as if many of us have gone to great lengths to make distinctions, as well as dealt with demands to "admit" all of Clinton's flaws, as if you must qualify your support for it to be seen as legitimate.

I think the biggest frustration is the certain very vocal subset of supporters, unfortunately BMP seems to represent this subset(though maybe to an extreme), if there were other more engaging supporters you probably wouldn't have that lumping in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom