2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FKipRWU.jpg

Why is Bashar Al-Assad hanging out with Donald Trump?

Nobody has a playbook to take on Trump.

Nicolle Wallace put it best, Trump is the post-truth candidate. It's why he's pretty much bulletproof. He can tell one interviewer one thing and be on another show 5 minutes later and tell them another, which he did yesterday, and his voters don't care. His voters could care less about the truth. He can lie to their faces and they don't care. If the truth doesn't matter than the he can do anything he pleases, he won't even need propaganda. That's the most dangerous possibility to give to the leader of a country, especially one like the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Democrats have a playbook for an evangelical conservative Texan.

Nobody has a playbook to take on Trump.

I think Hillary would rather face Cruz at this point.

Both Cruz and Trump have a favorable rating of about 33%, so either should be easy to take on.

Can someone explain what the deal is with this contested convention thing? What does that mean? Is "brokered convention" the same thing? I've heard that term thrown around as well.

Last edited:
what states do we think Trump could actually win?

or, what states would go blue for Clinton?

Once it gets to a one on one the public thinking will reset except for those who are hardened against one or the other. I'd be intrigued to see state polls at that point. With Cruz you get the GOP trying to thread the electoral needle once again. If Trump were to take Rubio as vp to calm the nerves of the never-Trumps it could be more interesting as Trump may make more Rust Belt states competitive. As much as Trump is disliked, Hillary has some hefty negatives herself when it comes to Honesty.

Well, if there is a contested or brokered primary, Trump has suggested there will be riots. That's nice. Holy fuck, this man is a 3rd world dictator who actually has a chance of being elected in the USA.

Donald Trump Predicts/Threatens ‘Riots’ if GOP Brokers Away His Nomination | Mediaite

ETA: To answer your question Cori, if Trump doesn't pick up more than 50% of all the delegates, we could have a contested or a brokered convention. A contested convention would happen if even though Trump didn't win the required number of delegates outright, delegates pledged to no one swung to him. If after the first vote, he still didn't have enough delegates, it's a brokered convention and the establishment thinks this gives them a chance to get someone else in. They just keep voting and in each round more delegates become unbound to specific candidates and things get crazy.

Last edited:
Can someone explain what the deal is with this contested convention thing? What does that mean? Is "brokered convention" the same thing? I've heard that term thrown around as well.

They're the same thing. Candidates win delegates from primaries. In the GOP, you need 1237 delegates to win the nomination. What Kasich's win here in Ohio yesterday did was make it much more difficult for Trump to get all the way to 1237 before the convention, and pretty much impossible for everyone else. So usually, at least for the last 3-4 decades, someone has passed 1237 and subsequently been officially nominated by the delegates in the 'first ballot' at the convention. But if no one was won 1237 when the convention rolls around, that means no one will win the nomination on the first ballot, and as such, all of the delegates at the convention will have to vote again on a second or even third ballot.

But once the first ballot is done, the peoples' vote doesn't mean anything anymore. At that point, the delegates can support whoever they want, they're not bound to the vote of their state's people anymore. There will be lawyers, backroom negotiations, deals being made, etc between ballots trying win support for one candidate or another. And it doesn't have to be one of the official candidates. The delegates can nominate anyone at that point(although I'd think a person would have to want to be nominated for that to happen). Romney could throw his name in, Paul Ryan could throw his name in, hell, I wouldn't be totally shocked if Jeb tried to get the nomination at the convention.

Contested/brokered conventions don't usually happen anymore, but they used to happen more often until the 70s. The rules were changed, I think in reaction to the 1968 Chicago convention. So it's kind of a joke that it's every political journalist's wet dream to have a contested/brokered convention, because it's kind of political anarchy, which is a great story to write.

Last edited:
Both Cruz and Trump have a favorable rating of about 33%, so either should be easy to take on.

I do think that Cruz would be easier for Hillary to defeat then Trump. As was stated, it really doesn't matter what Trump does, he doesn't pay a price for it.

I think that the enthusiasm for Cruz would be tepid and the minority vote, along with youth vote and middle of the road independents would end up flooding to Hillary.

Trump will attract more indies than Hillary, and enthusiasm would be high. But the minority vote will be out STRONG to defy Trump and support Hillary.

Also, remember that once she has the nomination, you will have president Obama out stumping for her, and hopefully Sanders throwing his weight in as well. It could be quite the formidable campaign.

has Trump even broken 50% in a single state? what evidence do we have that he'd pull in independents and people who have never voted before, let alone the other 2/3rds of the GOP who can't stand him?

I do think that Cruz would be easier for Hillary to defeat then Trump. As was stated, it really doesn't matter what Trump does, he doesn't pay a price for it.

I think it's with only a narrow segment of the electorate that he doesn't pay a price. He's still about a 70-30 underdog with the odds-makers, and has an atrocious approval rating (which I don't see rising much).

If Trump were to take Rubio as vp to calm the nerves of the never-Trumps
I actually think that might hurt more than help, because then it makes Rubio look as two faced as Trump and he loses any credibility he might have brought to the ticket. It would be a lose lose.

As much as Trump is disliked, Hillary has some hefty negatives herself when it comes to Honesty.

Um, yes and no, but not nearly as much as you think. I know rwm prints something everyday that says Obama and Hillary lied, but the truth people outside that bubble don't have nearly the trust issues that they do with Trump.

Trump will pull an insignificant % of independents. It's absurd to think he appeals to many outside of his head in the sand followers.

I am huge Bernie supporter and I feel kinda sad that I can't contribute to the discussion that much at this pt.

Get out and support candidates like him for congress. If you really want change, it has to come from there.

Moderate changes over time for progress. But Bernie would get ZERO of his proposals implemented with the way things are now

I don't buy that schtick that he wouldn't 'work' with congress. The democrats would rally around him. It just depends which party is in charge. I expect the republicans to continue being obstructive if they lose.

Trump wins Florida against Hillary for sure.

Florida is very pro Hillary and does not go against the grain. If Hillary is leading in the national poll over Trump, we will vote along national lines.

Hillary wins Florida against Trump for sure.

So TRUMP! , who has an ironic 666 delegates currently, has backed out of the next FAUX News debate in Utah. Guess all that talk about him wanting to go head to head with Ted Cruz wasn't as serious as he made it sound?

While he could still possibly win the GOP nomination and beat Hillary in the general, i suspect instead he will lose and we will get used to saying "madame president" when all is said and done. We might actually be thanking him in retrospect for the shit-show that was the 2016 erection.

Oh - and Fuck Ted Cruz.

has Trump even broken 50% in a single state?

49.3 here in the bluest of blue states is tops so far, but the fact that there have been between 4 and 2,869 candidates on the ballot each time does make grabbing 50% tough. Now that Marco is out he should start topping 50% in a few states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom