2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and I admittedly haven't had a ton of time to research Bernie's actual "plan" because work and life have been very busy so I've actually had to rely on the debates and headlines. And the problem I have with Bernie as a casual undecided voter is that other than the fact that Bernie is great at spewing out all the problems with corporate greed and other issues, I guess I haven't seen anything that sticks out to me that screams "wow. He's actually going to get things done in Washington."

yep. this is where i'm at.

Bloomberg is out, for all of the reasons we've hashed out a few times on here. He wrote a very thoughtful piece announcing it:

The Risk I Will Not Take - Bloomberg View

As the race stands now, with Republicans in charge of both Houses, there is a good chance that my candidacy could lead to the election of Donald Trump or Senator Ted Cruz. That is not a risk I can take in good conscience.

I am not ready to endorse any candidate, but I will continue urging all voters to reject divisive appeals and demanding that candidates offer intelligent, specific and realistic ideas for bridging divides, solving problems, and giving us the honest and capable government we deserve.

For most Americans, citizenship requires little more than paying taxes. But many have given their lives to defend our nation -- and all of us have an obligation as voters to stand up on behalf of ideas and principles that, as Lincoln said, represent “the last best hope of earth.” I hope and pray I’m doing that.

Found the primary results for my town from last week:

Democrats:

Sanders: 2,383
Clinton: 2,093
O'Malley: 18
De La Fuente: 7

Republicans:

Trump: 2,205
Kasich : 725
Rubio: 641
Cruz: 389
Carson: 75
Bush: 29
Rand: 11
Christie: 10
Fiorina: 4
Huckabee: 4
Pataki: 2
Gilmore: 1
Santorum: 1

Thanks for keeping the Santorum bid alive, Hewson.

Bloomberg is out, for all of the reasons we've hashed out a few times on here. He wrote a very thoughtful piece announcing it:

The Risk I Will Not Take - Bloomberg View

To expand on that...

I’ve always been drawn to impossible challenges, and none today is greater or more important than ending the partisan war in Washington and making government work for the American people -- not lobbyists and campaign donors. Bringing about this change will require electing leaders who are more focused on getting results than winning re-election, who have experience building small businesses and creating jobs, who know how to balance budgets and manage large organizations, who aren’t beholden to special interests -- and who are honest with the public at every turn. I’m flattered that some think I could provide this kind of leadership.

But when I look at the data, it’s clear to me that if I entered the race, I could not win. I believe I could win a number of diverse states -- but not enough to win the 270 Electoral College votes necessary to win the presidency.

In a three-way race, it’s unlikely any candidate would win a majority of electoral votes, and then the power to choose the president would be taken out of the hands of the American people and thrown to Congress. The fact is, even if I were to receive the most popular votes and the most electoral votes, victory would be highly unlikely, because most members of Congress would vote for their party’s nominee. Party loyalists in Congress -- not the American people or the Electoral College -- would determine the next president.

As the race stands now, with Republicans in charge of both Houses, there is a good chance that my candidacy could lead to the election of Donald Trump or Senator Ted Cruz. That is not a risk I can take in good conscience.

I have known Mr. Trump casually for many years, and we have always been on friendly terms. I even agreed to appear on “The Apprentice” -- twice. But he has run the most divisive and demagogic presidential campaign I can remember, preying on people’s prejudices and fears. Abraham Lincoln, the father of the Republican Party, appealed to our “better angels.” Trump appeals to our worst impulses.

Threatening to bar foreign Muslims from entering the country is a direct assault on two of the core values that gave rise to our nation: religious tolerance and the separation of church and state. Attacking and promising to deport millions of Mexicans, feigning ignorance of white supremacists, and threatening China and Japan with a trade war are all dangerously wrong, too. These moves would divide us at home and compromise our moral leadership around the world. The end result would be to embolden our enemies, threaten the security of our allies, and put our own men and women in uniform at greater risk.

Senator Cruz’s pandering on immigration may lack Trump’s rhetorical excess, but it is no less extreme. His refusal to oppose banning foreigners based on their religion may be less bombastic than Trump’s position, but it is no less divisive.

We cannot “make America great again” by turning our backs on the values that made us the world’s greatest nation in the first place. I love our country too much to play a role in electing a candidate who would weaken our unity and darken our future -- and so I will not enter the race for president of the United States.

He's doing the right thing... but it's yet another reason why the two party system sucks.

I found it telling that his criticisms of the Democratic candidates spoke of how they are not cut from the same cloth as President Clinton...

Last edited:
Bernie's rally was amazing. for some reason Nate Russ performed and it was kinda weird but whatever. it's all about Bernie's speech.

There are idiots spouting off during this election cycle
you just don't know who they (you) are

750x422

How would you like to be on the ground floor of Amazon when it started up??

well, how about Amazon for China, that is a big market, right??

if you could make a few bucks or just percentages on items purchased buy Chinese consumers, how long before you could be mega rich??

When Chinese consumers want Western goods, they turn to these U.S. intermediaries - LA Times

I wonder how this all plays to the rest of the world? I mean just entertaining the thought of this guy actually getting as far as he has and leading must put us in a pretty bad!

If they had a do-over the GOP establishment should have backed Kasich. He's shown himself to be a competent, experienced candidate who has stayed above the fray. He would make a great VP pick.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If they had a do-over the GOP establishment should have backed Kasich. He's shown himself to be a competent, experienced candidate who has stayed above the fray. He would make a great VP pick.

If only the GOP establishment had listened to FYM.

Im so relieved that in here nobody is talking about Donald's dick jokes. have we talk about this weird "pledge" shit Donald's doing these days? you know, that quasi-Nazi salute thing?

Let's just remember that while Kasich is better than the alternatives, he has an anti-female agenda and has trampled on Planned Parenthood and been anti-abortion at every possible turn. There are a limited number of PPs left in Ohio and the ones remaining are the subject of constant vandalism by people his policies have worked into a frenzy.

bobsaget77; said:
The pull out of Iraq was a disaster. We should have never been there, but he handled it terribly. Libya and Egypt were handled even worse. Led to radical Islam taking over both countries!
Obamacare is a disaster. It needs to be repealed and replaced.

With what exactly? The disaster that I know is that premiums are too frickin high.
Our racial divisions are worse than they've been since the 60's and his leadership throughout has been abysmal.

Perhaps because racist Americans don't want things to change and have been angry seeing a Black POTUS?

Yes, the economy was a mess when he took office, but this has been the slowest recovery since the Great Depression. Record numbers of people who have dropped out of the work force.

The number of freelancers and solo/indie workers has grown a lot since the recession, with no signs of slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference[/QUOTE]

Bernie as the nominee all but promises a Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom