2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By shit show you mean? Clinton sort of steamrolled Sanders today.

I don't think it was done before today, but I definitely think it's done now.

Bernie never had even had half a shot
but I do like him.

Amazing, that video from 1988, close your eyes, he sounds the same and is spot on the same message as he is today.

Marco went off script and it was the best I've ever heard him.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Let's dispel once and for all this fiction that Marco Rubio doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Bernie never had even had half a shot
but I do like him.

Amazing, that video from 1988, close your eyes, he sounds the same and is spot on the same message as he is today.

I still don't get the logic of why anyone cares to watch any of the races if they have this logic.

If Bernie never had a chance, no republican not named Donald Trump ever had a chance. He had much more of a chance than anyone else, by virtue of the fact that he garners just as much support as the republican leader albeit in a two person race.

Trump won MO all counties are in, he wins by about 1700 out of 936,000 votes.
They still have not called it.

Trump wins 4 out of 5
And gave Kasich a scare in Ohio.

Last edited:
Getting close to half the vote in a four-person race and leading the nearest rival by over 10% is a "scare" now?

That's a safe win.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt here.. the polls throughout March started with Trump ahead, and shifted to a small margin in favor of Kasich. He won by a lot more than the polls suggested.

Facts? They don't need facts, they make fun of facts. Cruz is just trying to steal some of Trump's base. He could say, "I will fire all Mexicans from their jobs until you are employed" and steal this election.

Trump has literally developed his platform off the "dey tuk are jerbs" episode of South Park and is dominating the GOP with it.

At this point, I'm ready for Trump to get the GOP nomination. Rubio is out, and Kasich hasn't a chance of winning a majority of pledged delegates. That leaves Cruz, who scares me as least as much as Trump. And I think that Clinton should beat Trump relatively easily in the general election, whereas Cruz might be a more formidable opponent, as he's not so openly crazy. We can hope for a contested convention, but what would that really do? Would the party really install Kasich or some outsider over Cruz or Trump? Seems unlikely.

The beauty of a contested convention is that there is no right answer. They pick Trump and they're a joke. They defy the constituency and they're a joke.

The beauty of a contested convention is that there is no right answer. They pick Trump and they're a joke. They defy the constituency and they're a joke.

I see a serious risk of a contested convention nominating Cruz, who is at least as scary with Trump but perhaps more electable.

I honestly think Trump is more electable than Cruz. I think there's a decent swath of unaffiliated folks who might vote for Trump in a general election, I think the percentage of those folks who vote for Cruz is significantly lower.

I see a serious risk of a contested convention nominating Cruz, who is at least as scary with Trump but perhaps more electable.

You think Cruz is more electable? Outside of Cruz and the one family member that still likes him, I hadn't heard that.

Why? That's a way to make literally zero people happy. To the GOP, Cruz is just as much of a maniac. There's already been chatter that the party elites actually favor Trump to Cruz due to his legitimate lack of political ties coupled with his popular support. They would have to take a lot of responsibility for a Cruz gaffe. They don't have to take any responsibility if the convention chooses Trump. They just blame the constituency.

You think Cruz is more electable? Outside of Cruz and the one family member that still likes him, I hadn't heard that.

I hate to put too much stock into hypothetical matchup polls, but I'll link to them in this case, to at least show that I'm not completely insane. Trust them or don't, but I think they at least show that a position of Cruz being more electable than Trump is plausible.

Clinton vs. Trump: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...s/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Clinton vs. Cruz: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_cruz_vs_clinton-4034.html

Why? That's a way to make literally zero people happy. To the GOP, Cruz is just as much of a maniac. There's already been chatter that the party elites actually favor Trump to Cruz due to his legitimate lack of political ties coupled with his popular support. They would have to take a lot of responsibility for a Cruz gaffe. They don't have to take any responsibility if the convention chooses Trump. They just blame the constituency.

Because Cruz and Trump are likely to be relatively close in popular support, if not delegates, and it would be probably unwise for the GOP to attempt to install someone other than those two. If it comes down to a lesser-evil thing and Cruz seemingly would at least unite the base more effectively, I can see them going for Cruz. As I explained earlier, I'd prefer to have Trump than Cruz as nominee. Therefore, given the choice between Trump winning a majority of delegates and a pledge convention that may choose Cruz (not certainly, of course), I'd take locking in Trump. The risk of Cruz overwhelms the potential benefit of a tiny chance of Kasich/Romney/Paul Ryan, in my estimation.

What might change my mind is if Kasich picks up some serious delegates in the Northeast, and the Establishment gets a bit more leverage at the convention.

Except, of course, in this area of vote count.

Right, because Cruz has never faced Trump one-on-one. The dynamic of the race so far has been that Trump has been racking up pluralities because the anti-Trump vote is highly split, but GOP rules make it easy to sweep up an enormous amount of delegates off of pluralities. The GOP anti-Trumps have never coalesced around anyone, but have been a majority in every state so far. It's unlikely that much of the former Rubio base would go for Trump, and the same will be the case for the former Kasich base when Kasich is gone.

The Democrats have a playbook for an evangelical conservative Texan.

Nobody has a playbook to take on Trump.

I think Hillary would rather face Cruz at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom