2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cause government bad

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I liked the video myself. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Given the numerous mass shootings we've had in recent years, I think anytime a politician brags about their ability with a gun, that's a sign of how incredibly tone-deaf they are on that issue. I just have zero patience for the "RAH RAH GUNS ARE GOOD!" crowd anymore.

I'm a big Bernie fan, but so many of his supporters are the stereotypical Bernie Bro. One of my best friends turned into a Bernie Bro and now constantly posts articles on Facebook about how Hillary sucks and is a racist, and blah blah blah. Seriously, some of his supporters can be insufferable sometimes.

not only the guys but girls who support can be pretty obnoxious (despite the fact that I'm big-time Bernie supporter at this point), so I think calling them Bernie-bro still feels wrong.

this made me lol:

Fiorina Cheers Self Up by Firing Campaign Staff
BY ANDY BOROWITZ

After suffering a poor showing in the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday night, the former Hewlett-Packard C.E.O. Carly Fiorina cheered herself up by firing her entire campaign staff, fired staffers confirm.

Minutes after the returns started coming in, revealing that Fiorina had no chance of making a respectable showing, the former business executive acknowledged that she was “sad at first—but then I realized that every failure is an opportunity, and in this case I had an opportunity to give some people the axe.”

After delivering pink slips to her entire campaign staff, Fiorina said, “I started feeling better already.”

“That’s the one thing you have to understand about Carly Fiorina—she doesn’t stay down for long,” she said.

Fiorina said that she had “no regrets” about running for President, despite her dismal showing in New Hampshire. “I got to downsize a lot of people tonight, and that makes me a winner,” she said.

FTFY

We will be blessed as a nation when President Trump nominates Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court

Please, Halloween is too far away for this kind of horror.

You have to love the attacks on Trump's "extremist" sister, because she supports Roe v. Wade. But fear not conservatives, she'll never make it on SCOTUS, going to Hofstra Law won't get you there in this day and age. It's as elitist of an "organization" as you could possibly get.

giphy.gif

I should really like Bernie. I really should. But for some reason I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To call Bernie supporters Tea party types is complimentary to them. If they truly are, it will be bad news for the GOP.

I think it's worth noting that what Bernie is proposing isn't that extreme. It's pretty much what FDR proposed, so Bernie isn't an outlier in American history. However, he is an outlier in the 36 years of neoliberal political consensus that we've had since Reagan was elected. And those 36 years have been disastrous for the poor, working class, and middle class. The only people who have seen their incomes rise has been the richest 1%.

Posting history would give anyone enough of an idea. :lol:

I should really like Bernie. I really should. But for some reason I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just haven't got to feel the bern yet.

I think it's worth noting that what Bernie is proposing isn't that extreme. It's pretty much what FDR proposed, so Bernie isn't an outlier in American history. However, he is an outlier in the 36 years of neoliberal political consensus that we've had since Reagan was elected. And those 36 years have been disastrous for the poor, working class, and middle class. The only people who have seen their incomes rise has been the richest 1%.

I tend to agree with this, and claims of Sanders being an 'extremist' really rub me the wrong way - it's not dissimilar to hearing centre-left positions in Australia dismissed as 'loony' by certain sections. In this case, it's fairly telling where the mainstream has moved in past decades.

I think it would be irresponsible for Bloomberg to run. He won't win. All he's going to do is siphon votes off from the left and hand the election over to Trump or Cruz or whoever. It's Nader all over gain. Never, ever forget that if Nader had just stayed out of the race, GEORGE W. BUSH NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT. Also worth noting that if all those conscience-voting Nader voters in 2000 had just voted for Gore, GEORGE W. BUSH NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT.

This shouldn't be able to happen again.

I mean, best case scenario, he actually manages to win enough electoral college votes that no one has 270 at the end of the night and then chaos reigns.

There's no good reason for him to run. He needs to stay out.

I think it would be irresponsible for Bloomberg to run. He won't win. All he's going to do is siphon votes off from the left and hand the election over to Trump or Cruz or whoever. It's Nader all over gain. Never, ever forget that if Nader had just stayed out of the race, GEORGE W. BUSH NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT. Also worth noting that if all those conscience-voting Nader voters in 2000 had just voted for Gore, GEORGE W. BUSH NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT.

I mean, best case scenario, he actually manages to win enough electoral college votes that no one has 270 at the end of the night and then chaos reigns.

If Hillary or Bernie gets 269 and and Bloomberg gets 1 or 200, GOP is golden. Then it goes to states to vote. Each state gets one vote. Votes are cast by their congressional delagation. 33 states are controlled by GOP
In 1968 3rd party candidate won many electoral college votes, but Nixon got past the 270

Last edited:
All this thread is serving to do is remind me how awful the American election system is, at least at the POTUS level.

FTFY

We will be blessed as a nation when President Trump nominates Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court

Supreme Court is a big reason why I want Cruz to be our next president. He knows the legal system and will make great SC picks; then we can start getting stuff done. President Cruz will bring us back to the values of the constitution.

Supreme Court is a big reason why I want Cruz to be our next president. He knows the legal system and will make great SC picks; then we can start getting stuff done. President Cruz will bring us back to the values of the constitution.

Providence will guide Cruz to select qualified justices in the mold of Scalia and Alito.

Hey it's the Nader cost the election fallacy!

More democrats voted for George Bush in Florida than they did for Nader.

In Florida, CNN’s exit polling showed Nader taking the same amount of votes from both Republicans and Democrats: 1 percent. Nader also took 4 percent of the independent vote. At the same time,13 percent of registered Democrats voted for Bush!Again, Gore couldn’t hold his own base and because of this, he lost. The Democrats don’t say one word about the fact that 13 percent of their own party members voted for Bush.

Al Gore being an awful candidate cost Al Gore the election. Blame him.

The two party system is a sham. It's time to die a quick and utterly painful death. The candidates for both parties are absolute jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom