2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the FBI and foreign governments could request the same backdoor, even as a condition for selling phones in their countries.

How is this different than foreign governments imposing all sorts of regulations as a matter of a business operating or making sales of products in their countries? And why should they not be allowed to do so?

The thing is... Apple can do it... but what happens the next time the FBI comes knocking on the door with another phone? "Just this one time" is a super weak argument.

I'll guess Apple finds a smart way to accommodate the courts. Probably reasonable that they do here.

In the meantime, I'd slow-walk and shamelessly take advantage of the free advertising for the company's gadgets.

"The best of the FBI has had access to an iPhone for over two months. They have no clue how to break into it." :love:

How is this different than foreign governments imposing all sorts of regulations as a matter of a business operating or making sales of products in their countries? And why should they not be allowed to do so?

Products like cellphones/smartphones are different from cars and clothes. I'm sure the Saudis have imprisoned (or worse) people for messages they found on phones (e.g. for acts illegal there but legal here). I doubt Apple would cave to the Saudis, but it's unfortunate RIM did.

Wow, I definitely didn't expect Jeb to throw in the towel this early.

And go on, Republicans, nominate Trump. Let's watch you self-immolate.

Wow, I definitely didn't expect Jeb to throw in the towel this early.

And go on, Republicans, nominate Trump. Let's watch you self-immolate.

well I never expected Jeb(!) to lose momentum this early. but I guess this election is kinda "anything goes" type of election. I am really expecting Ben Carson to drop out but he apparently hasn't seen how awful is campaign is getting.

I didn't think Jeb ever stood a chance. The jury's still out on Hillary too, but I wonder if the long-assumed Bush/Clinton/Bush revolving door is simply history.

It's going to be Hillary vs Rubio.

And Trump as Perot.

And after that he'll start his own 24-hour cable news network.

wrong
Trump wraps up the nomination early
and the Dems should be nervous and the American people hopeful that America can be greater than ever and have the best looking first family.

I would've thought this result is good for Bernie. I was under the impression Clinton was expected to win by more in Nevada, so a victory of only about 5% shows that Bernie is definitely competitive.

I would've thought this result is good for Bernie. I was under the impression Clinton was expected to win by more in Nevada, so a victory of only about 5% shows that Bernie is definitely competitive.

Yeah, reading between the headlines, I'm scared more than I'd like to be. South Carolina will likely involve Clinton decimating Bernie, but I hope Super Tuesday doesn't bring surprises.

As a sidenote, I'm looking forward to Super Tuesday because it will be the first time I'll have ever casted a presidential vote that's not completely meaningless. Texas is big for both parties on Super Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know nothing about technology, but isn't the concern with the Apple thing that if they design an entrance into the operating system that the design will be intercepted? That the concern is not "designing a key" but rather "publicly handing over a key in a very intercept-able airspace"?

Bernie's result was just fine in Nevada. I mean, had he done 3% better and beaten her, his campaign would have walked away with an extra 3 delegates or whatever and maybe some more positive media coverage. To go from forty points behind to almost winning in a Saturday caucus that had a high senior turnout AND to beat Clinton with Latino voters in the state, well that's a pretty big improvement.

Really, it all comes down to how Sanders performs on the national level. Look, even if he were ahead of Clinton by about five points in the national polls, he's still going to come out of Super Tuesday being the "loser" that day in delegates given that the states voting are far more favorable to Clinton. What Sanders needs to accomplish is to be nearly tied (or better) with Clinton in the polls on Super Tuesday and then pull ahead of her afterwards. If he can do that, he'll be looking great as the remaining calendar is full of Northeastern and West coast states, favorable caucus states, and not so populous states where his populist stances can go down real well with the Democratic electorate. A Sanders that can get to about 53% or more in national polls after Super Tuesday can ultimately edge out Clinton in delegates from actual voters, leaving the Superdelegates with nowhere to go given his campaign's momentum, the mandate from the voters and his more favorable polling results against the GOP nominee.

I just can't for the life of me see the Superdelegates going against the wishes of voters, particularly young voters that are expected to vote for this party for the rest of their lives in order to merely appease one woman's ego. Not going to happen.

Plus, there's still those damn e-mails. :up:

Last edited:
Rubio basically has the nomination in the bag provided he doesn't have another malfunction moment. He'd have given Trump a run for his money in South Carolina had the New Hampshire incident not occurred.

Trump is screwed because his ceiling currently rests at 35% support. That's not enough to win a two-way race and that might not be enough to win in a three-way. With others dropping out, he can probably get to, say, 40%, but that's just not going to be nearly enough to fend off Rubio once Cruz finally deflates.

Cruz is mathematically ruined by the fact that there's way too many states where his message doesn't play well that have winner-take-all primaries. It doesn't help either that the states where he should be racking up delegates, such as South Carolina, are leaving him with absolutely zero to show for it thanks to Trump. Prognosticators and betting sites now rightfully put Cruz's chances (and the rest of the field for that matter) at under 10% and slipping. The math just can't possibly work out in his favor as long as Trump is in the race.

Kasich and Carson will be out immediately after Super Tuesday if not sooner in order to avoid the embarrassment. Between their exit and Bush's recent departure, that leaves a lot of the electorate moving to the Big Three candidates. The picture will become clear pretty quickly after Super Tuesday just where the national support lies and the candidate out in front by that point is going to have a pretty easy path to the nomination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom