2016 US Presidential Election Thread Part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best part of that Kanye moment was the quick toss to Chris Tucker. His rambled plea for water and trucks is truly memorable. My co-worker memorized his monologue and would spout it around the office.

There's been talk that the DNC might legitimately do this if Cruz wins the GOP nom, hasn't there?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hypocrisy much? That'd be like the democrat version of a birther argument. Obama was born in Kenya! The liberal logical position would suggest that even if Cruz were to be born in Canada, he is still an American.

If the DNC were to sue, they'd look like total asshats and hypocrites and I'd lose all respect for them.

Except Obama was never even close to being born out of the U S.

And if he was, just like Cruz, would he meet the constitutionali test of being a "natural born citizen". The question is not if someone born to a U S mother in a foreign country is a citizen, it is if they meet the special requirements to elected president.

Hypocrisy much? That'd be like the democrat version of a birther argument. Obama was born in Kenya! The liberal logical position would suggest that even if Cruz were to be born in Canada, he is still an American.

If the DNC were to sue, they'd look like total asshats and hypocrites and I'd lose all respect for them.

There is a definite legit argument that Cruz is entirely ineligible to run for president, and it bugs me that it's not being talked about more after the bullshit, racist Kenyan business.

How on earth is it hypocritical? Obama being born outside the US is a bullshit conspiracy theory. Cruz being born outside the US is a basic fact.

If Obama had actually been born outside the US there could've been a legitimate legal challenge to establish what exactly "natural born citizen" means once and for all. But he wasn't, so there wasn't. If Cruz is nominated or elected, however, there will be the opportunity to test the definition.

Not a shred of hypocrisy.

Of course a challenge would play badly, but that will be the fault of "asshats" (and not the DNC).

I believe he's a natural born citizen because he didn't require naturalization, but I want him to get sued so we can receive a final word on this matter from the Supreme Court and never have to hear about it again.

Does anybody believe the founding fathers intended anyone borne in England and raised there for part of their life to one American parent living there (and at birth becoming a natural born citizen of England) would have been allowed to run for president??

Cruz was a natural born citizen of Canada all of his life until he just recently renounce his Canadian citizenship. The sack of shit lies and says he did not know he was a citizen of Canada and when he found out after the shit storm about Obama and when he decided to run for for president he then discovered it and renounced his Canadian citizenship. And we are to believe this is a brilliant legal mind that clerked for Supreme Court Justice, I think and argued before the court. But somehow he was born in Canada and lived there for awhile and never knew he had citizenship. Trump is right this man is a bald-face liar, or as thick as pig shit. You choose.

I thought the understanding was that if one's parents (both, or one?) were Americans, you're American regardless? Not that I particularly care. This is so fucking dreary. I'm sorry, that's the drink talking.

As I've probably said often before, this particular requirement for the presidency - whatever "natural born citizen" may prove to mean after a legal challenge - is ridiculous, an example of eighteenth century paranoia being allowed undue influence over twenty-first century politics.

Well it's par for the course. The Founders and the Constitution are now an immovable, unchangeable monument, trapped in aspic, the Hadiths of American civic life. And the Supreme Court are the high priests.

It would be interesting to see how a literalist like Scalia would have ruled, would he have risked pissing off his base?

How on earth is it hypocritical? Obama being born outside the US is a bullshit conspiracy theory. Cruz being born outside the US is a basic fact.

If Obama had actually been born outside the US there could've been a legitimate legal challenge to establish what exactly "natural born citizen" means once and for all. But he wasn't, so there wasn't. If Cruz is nominated or elected, however, there will be the opportunity to test the definition.

Not a shred of hypocrisy.

Of course a challenge would play badly, but that will be the fault of "asshats" (and not the DNC).

Conspiracy or not, the argument is founded on the same premise. He can't be president because -insert entirely arbitrary reason that doesn't factually change a thing-.

Obama was still born to an American. Even if he WAS born in Kenya, which he obviously wasn't, he'd still have been an American citizen. Would such a technicality have made a damn difference? Think critically.

There's zero reason to believe Ted Cruz's birthplace illegitimizes his ability to be commander and chief. There's also zero concrete language on the grounds of technicality -- just basically a damn bible verse that you get to choose how you want to interpret, written by some fat sweaty old guy in a wig who hasn't showered in dats, two hundred and fifty years ago. Nobody thought it was an issue months ago when he launched his campaign. Why care now? Because it's convenient. Entirely hypocritical, because if this were their candidate...

There is a definite legit argument that Cruz is entirely ineligible to run for president, and it bugs me that it's not being talked about more after the bullshit, racist Kenyan business.

No, under Ted Cruz's own wildly xenophobic beliefs, Ted Cruz is an illegitimate candidate for presidency. Secure the border! No to Hispanics! We don't like "your kind."

I expect more from a liberal, progressive mind. He's got the citizenship and he's had it from the minute he was born. He didn't apply for it. He didn't elect to take it. This has not been an issue until late in the game, because Donald Trump said it.

Conspiracy or not, the argument is founded on the same premise. He can't be president because -insert entirely arbitrary reason that doesn't factually change a thing-.

Obama was still born to an American. Even if he WAS born in Kenya, which he obviously wasn't, he'd still have been an American citizen. Would such a technicality have made a damn difference? Think critically.

There's zero reason to believe Ted Cruz's birthplace illegitimizes his ability to be commander and chief. There's also zero concrete language on the grounds of technicality -- just basically a damn bible verse that you get to choose how you want to interpret, written by some fat sweaty old guy in a wig who hasn't showered in dats, two hundred and fifty years ago. Nobody thought it was an issue months ago when he launched his campaign. Why care now? Because it's convenient. Entirely hypocritical, because if this were their candidate...

I think you're being a little too dismissive. From a critical and logical standpoint, absolutely you are correct and no one in here is saying otherwise, but from a side that is often literal and treat the document as God himself wrote it, the argument is a legitimate questioning of consistency.

I think you're being a little too dismissive. From a critical and logical standpoint, absolutely you are correct and no one in here is saying otherwise, but from a side that is often literal and treat the document as God himself wrote it, the argument is a legitimate questioning of consistency.

But then that's hypocrisy right there, isn't it? If you're acting one way normally, but acting another way simply because this is what the other side normally acts like... that's hypocrisy in a nutshell.

I don't care if he is or isn't a natural citizen, I am loving that this birtherism is coming back to bite them in the ass. It's wonderful.

Cruz is definitely a lying sack of shit. His mother is on Canadian voter rolls and he says that's some sort of a "clerical error" she was unaware of. Yarite. And it doesn't even matter if she is, who cares, she can be a citizen of wherever, but he feels like he needs to lie about something that's totally inconsequential.

But then that's hypocrisy right there, isn't it? If you're acting one way normally, but acting another way simply because this is what the other side normally acts like... that's hypocrisy in a nutshell.

I agree, and it wouldn't be a smart move by the Dems, and frankly I haven't heard any legitimate source say they would.

But it would be a brilliant implosion if Trump would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom