2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #741
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,510
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
very well summed up

Of course this is FB, but the comments to the stories of Warren endorsing her has not gone over well.

Sell out is the general theme.

How she can be against the banks, etc and then endorse the person who's in their pocket....etc etc

Not to say there isn't a point there to be made, but I see it like this.

We've all cringed at Bono and his collaborations with people on the very opposite end of the spectrum, people that most of us "liberals" (quotes cause we may not be according to some) despise.

Compromise is the term that I feel needs to keep being repeated. To get anything done, you do have to set aside some differences. Some good getting done is better than no good


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

BEAL is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #742
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,066
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Report: Bernie Sanders supporters to claim UFO's stole 4 million votes over the last few months & Hilary is in the pockets of the extra terrestrials.
__________________

mikal is online now  
Old 06-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #743
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 7,225
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Of course this is FB, but the comments to the stories of Warren endorsing her has not gone over well.

Sell out is the general theme.

How she can be against the banks, etc and then endorse the person who's in their pocket....etc etc

Not to say there isn't a point there to be made, but I see it like this.

We've all cringed at Bono and his collaborations with people on the very opposite end of the spectrum, people that most of us "liberals" (quotes cause we may not be according to some) despise.

Compromise is the term that I feel needs to keep being repeated. To get anything done, you do have to set aside some differences. Some good getting done is better than no good


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is what is so infuriating though. Sanders has very successfully sold the notion to the whole country now, that Clinton can't be trusted with Bank/wall st. reform.

Even someone level-headed, and thoughtful seem to just kind of accept it as a truth.

When the truth is that she has voted right along with Sanders on banking reform. Had a hand in Dodd-Frank structure. Now has a plan that is viewed as the most comprehensive and well thought out Wall St. reform plan, that targets not just the banks. Warren herself has praised it.

She has the knowledge to know that Dodd-Frank has the power to break up the banks if need be. And just shouting "break em up!" like Sanders does, really is disingenuous. Sounds great to the crowd, but details are much stickier.

So, to me, the whole attacking of Warren as a sell out, just highlights the absolute brainwash that occurred over these last 10 months. I have friends that I seriously question their stability. Oligarchs and establishment, and Clinton is the most vile horrible person to ever be born. Its sad. While i appreciate sanders bringing her to the left and creating more awareness of progressive issues. I do seriously think he hobbled her with a large group of voters.
womanfish is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #744
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Would bump up the ticket's honesty and trustworthiness.
Haha, good one.

And likeability!
anitram is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #745
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Of course this is FB, but the comments to the stories of Warren endorsing her has not gone over well.

Sell out is the general theme.
I think these sorts of anecdotal stories don't carry that much weight to be honest. It just depends on who your FB friends are. I haven't seen a single posting suggesting anything to the effect. I've seen quite a few postings from women saying they are tired of the media implying that two women on a ticket isn't balanced. I've seen a few super excited about Warren being in, but not a single one criticizing her in any way. Doesn't mean my experience is any more of a mainstream one than yours, but just goes to show you that FB isn't really an accurate predictor of anything. Other than bitching about whatever new FB design is. Every single time.
anitram is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #746
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,143
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

Compromise is the term that I feel needs to keep being repeated. To get anything done, you do have to set aside some differences. Some good getting done is better than no good
This can not be repeated enough.

Insisting that your ideas are the only ones that could possibly be correct and everyone else is wrong is not how democracies work. That's how dictatorships work, actually.

Compromise is not a dirty word.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 06-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #747
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,031
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Warren seems a smart pic. She's loved by the non-misogynist Bernie supporters, and she's proving herself an effective attack dog as skilled at Twitter as the Trump is. She effectively answers the most pressing concern for the American Left -- income inequality -- and being attacked by two women at once is going to drive Donald bonkers and make him say batshit things.
Plus we'd get our first Native American Veep, and a champion for income equality and lowering tuition
 
just be sure not to bring up her $400K+ salary for teaching one class at Harvard
Hewson is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #748
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,461
Local Time: 11:11 AM
2016 US Presidential Election Thread IX

I don't think Professor Pocahontas would be so gauche as to wear a $12,000 Armani jacket.

Like Michelle Obama, I'm sure she shops at Forever 21 like the rest of us girls.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #749
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Polish-American Stronghold PA
Posts: 4,144
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Haha, good one.



And likeability!

Everybody loves Michael Caine.

Tim Kaine is a goofy looking mofo


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Oregoropa is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #750
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Warren seems a smart pic. She's loved by the non-misogynist Bernie supporters, and she's proving herself an effective attack dog as skilled at Twitter as the Trump is. She effectively answers the most pressing concern for the American Left -- income inequality -- and being attacked by two women at once is going to drive Donald bonkers and make him say batshit things.
I'm a big fan of Warren. I would love to see her as a VP but I wonder if Hillary will instead pick a swing state.


Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #751
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,575
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Insisting that your ideas are the only ones that could possibly be correct and everyone else is wrong is not how democracies work. That's how dictatorships work, actually.
This is incredibly rich given the outright dismissiveness with which anything other than full support for Clinton has been treated in this forum.
iron yuppie is online now  
Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #752
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,143
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
This is incredibly rich given the outright dismissiveness with which anything other than full support for Clinton has been treated in this forum.
Oh stop.

The majority of the pro Clinton rah rah has been in direct response to the Sanders or bust bullshit of one poster.

I in no way believe that Hillary Clinton is our best option for president. I only believe that she's the best option of what's available. And a large part of that is because she's not a pure leftist. Anyone who's so far in either direction frightens me. They have zero ability to come to a middle ground, and frankly can kiss my ass.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #753
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,575
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Oh stop.

The majority of the pro Clinton rah rah has been in direct response to the Sanders or bust bullshit of one poster.

I in no way believe that Hillary Clinton is our best option for president. I only believe that she's the best option of what's available. And a large part of that is because she's not a pure leftist. Anyone who's so far in either direction frightens me. They have zero ability to come to a middle ground, and frankly can kiss my ass.
Right, all that venom about Sanders and his supporters in here, all this incredulity about why they won't fall in line behind Clinton, is the result of BigMacPhisto and nothing else? That stretches belief.
iron yuppie is online now  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #754
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
This is incredibly rich given the outright dismissiveness with which anything other than full support for Clinton has been treated in this forum.
Really?! First off, there's very little 'full support for Clinton' in here, I think most have voiced that their vote for Clinton isn't exactly an enthusiastic one, just a realistic one given the choices. Secondly, there has been no 'outright dismissiveness' there have been several attempts to engage with certain individuals to no avail.
BVS is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #755
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Right, all that venom about Sanders and his supporters in here, all this incredulity about why they won't fall in line behind Clinton, is the result of BigMacPhisto and nothing else? That stretches belief.
I would say it comes down to BigMac and the fact that he mirrors a lot of what many of us are seeing outside of here as well. And to me it has nothing to do with "falling in line" but their hypocrisy and entitlement.
BVS is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #756
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,066
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Right, all that venom about Sanders and his supporters in here, all this incredulity about why they won't fall in line behind Clinton, is the result of BigMacPhisto and nothing else? That stretches belief.
It kind of is the result of BigMacPhisto. I've voiced a couple times how over the top Bernie folks are on Facebook but have left it at that, but then Big Mac came along and basically made it tough to take that side seriously whatsoever. If you had a problem with it, probably should have addressed Big Mac earlier on.

I'm not a huge Hilary fan, not really inspired by her, but will be voting for her since she seems more grounded.
mikal is online now  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #757
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,575
Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Secondly, there has been no 'outright dismissiveness' there have been several attempts to engage with certain individuals to no avail.
Meaning they simply haven't come around to your point of view. Whether you want to realize it or not, a good part of what galvanizes the far right and left alike is exactly the kind of rhetoric in this thread, where anyone who supports Trump must be a bigot or an ignoramus, or anyone who supports Bernie must be a dreamer with no sense of the bigger picture.
iron yuppie is online now  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #758
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,461
Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Meaning they simply haven't come around to your point of view. Whether you want to realize it or not, a good part of what galvanizes the far right and left alike is exactly the kind of rhetoric in this thread, where anyone who supports Trump must be a bigot or an ignoramus, or anyone who supports Bernie must be a dreamer with no sense of the bigger picture.


This post is as polarizing as you say the rhetoric is. I don't think you're fairly characterizing what's gone on in here the past 6+ months. Plus, participation has shrunk exponentially compared to the past, so things in here really are person-to-person rather than aimed broadly. And BMP really has given us a great example of the "Bernie Bro" we've heard about in the media, so there's been a pile up, which he seems to love. So this goes both ways. I can think of two other Sanders supporters who have been treated more than fairly.

In fact, I've felt like I've had to qualify and explain away my gathering support for HRC, if only to avoid "YOU'VE ALREADY MADE UP YOUR MIND AND DID YEARS AGO JUST LIKE THE MEDIA WHY WONT YOU ADMIT SHE'S UNLIKEABLE YOU ARENT HONEST IF YOU WONT ADMIT THAT."

I think, at this point, many people have reached a conclusion after a long primary, like the voters. And they are defending their position.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #759
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Meaning they simply haven't come around to your point of view. Whether you want to realize it or not, a good part of what galvanizes the far right and left alike is exactly the kind of rhetoric in this thread, where anyone who supports Trump must be a bigot or an ignoramus, or anyone who supports Bernie must be a dreamer with no sense of the bigger picture.
No, meaning there have been attempts to engage, In fact being told outright they weren't here to try and win hearts over or give reason to understand their views.
BVS is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #760
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,143
Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Meaning they simply haven't come around to your point of view. Whether you want to realize it or not, a good part of what galvanizes the far right and left alike is exactly the kind of rhetoric in this thread, where anyone who supports Trump must be a bigot or an ignoramus, or anyone who supports Bernie must be a dreamer with no sense of the bigger picture.
Meaning the far left and the far right don't want to be engaged. That's why they're the far left and the far right, and that's why neither has any business running this country.

The middle left will push us further to the left than the far left ever will. This isn't some small European country. It takes time and compromise. Anything else is ideological pipe dream bullshit.
__________________

Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×