2016 US Presidential Election Pt. IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His mom is a US citizen, so the place of his birth is irrelevant.

Which is why the Obummer Was Born in Kenya thing always bugged me - he still would have been a US citizen.

Apparently this is actually up for debate, because it's not quite clear that "natural-born citizen" means "citizen at birth". Some argue that it means "citizen by virtue of the rules in the constitution" (as opposed to by virtue of the rules set up by an act of Congress, which is how Cruz got his citizenship at birth).

See: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-12/is-cruz-natural-born-well-maybe

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Gop doesn't have a huge mass of establishment super-delegates (like the democrats) to block Trump. If Trump wins Iowa it could seal the deal. He'll win New Hampshire, SC (open primary), and NV where he is very popular.

Buzz is that Palin may be set to endorse Trump today in Iowa. Think what you may of her, but if you're trying to woo evangelical voters in Iowa her stamp of approval will go a long way. Probably the most high value endorsement in the Hawkeye state followed by Steve King.

The fact that a Sarah Palin endorsement is seen as a plus is as good an indictment of where the Republican party finds itself as anything I can think of.

The fact that a Sarah Palin endorsement is seen as a plus is as good an indictment of where the Republican party finds itself as anything I can think of.

I was just going to say that if you are an intelligent conservative-leaning voter, it must be terribly embarrassing.

It's quite hilarious. The right was given a message and they've had 7 years to try and rebrand themselves and make themselves relevant again. Yet they used that time to say 'no' and cause stagnation, and now their base is 7 years closer to dying off. All that time and their answer was a clown car with Palin chasing it for 15 more minutes?

I've never jumped on the "Lets trash Palin" bandwagon. I have liked some things she has said and other things I have disagree with her on.

But the amount of personal insults and trash thrown at her for the past eight years has been pretty profane. Like the comment that some slaves were punished by having another slave defecate in his mouth and she should get the same.

Some have no problem ratcheting-up-the-insults when Sarah Palin is the target.

A quick edit: After I posted this it came out in then news that she is supporting Trump. That is something I hoped she would not do. Wrong move Sarah.

Concerning Donald Trump: I have liked his stance on some issues and disagree with him on other issues.

But he will not get my vote because of his constant insults and trashing of others. His latest attack on Ted Cruz was way over the top and just stupid.
And not a civil way expressing disagreement or debating a topic.

Last edited:
Ted Cruz has done more harm to this country and our national defense than anyone else i can think of in recent years. Ted Cruz and the tea party would rather see America return to the "good ole boy days" when men were men and women were barefoot and pregnant, stay at home moms.

Ted Cruz and the tea party yearn for an America where gays got their asses back into the closet, blacks stayed with their own kind, and all of the non-whites knew their damn place in these united states of amerikkka.

There is no reason to vote for a hypocrite, bigot, homophobe, like ted cruz. There is no reason to see him for anything other than what he is; a sleazy snake oil salesman who is pandering to the religious conservative base to line his pockets so he can wage war on the poor and create wars for his war-profiteering buddies. Attacking ted cruz is not stupid or over the top in any way, shape, or form.

Thanks for the clarifications on the nuances of the "natural born citizen" stuff. Seems to me like this should all be hashed out in a non-election cycle (is it EVER a non-election cycle, though? They're fucking never-ending.) rather than having it be such a distraction.

I guess this is the first time it's really come up, though. Obama doesn't count, since he was obviously born on US soil, despite whatever various numbskulls want you to believe.

Although am I understanding correctly that some are saying that someone in Cruz's situation wouldn't be a US citizen? Or just not "enough" of a US citizen to run for president? Because that's kind of silly.

If my pregnant mom had been vacationing out of the country, and thought she was perfectly safe to travel because I was a ways off, and hey, surprise! I was early and was born in that foreign country, are there some who are suggesting that I wouldn't be a US citizen? That my parents would have to do a bunch of bureaucratic stuff upon their return to get me citizenship? Or would I be a citizen, but whomp whomp, wouldn't be able to run for president because I was an earlybird?

Last edited:
Sarah Palin is a profoundly incurious and stupid person. You can call it a personal insult, I call it a statement of fact. The idea that frontrunners of a national party should be fighting for her endorsement is the stuff of a bad soap opera plot and not serious political discourse but there you have it.

And of course she was going to endorse Trump. This woman can smell the greenbacks a mile away, let's at least give her that much credit. What good is Ted Cruz to a grifter like her?

Also, this little nugget from yesterday:

The Wasilla Police Department told Radar in a press release, “On 01/18/2016 at approximately 2204 hours, Wasilla Police responded to a residence for a disturbance. An investigation revealed Track Palin had committed a domestic violence assault on a female, interfered with her ability to report a crime of domestic violence, and possessed a firearm while intoxicated. Palin was arrested and charges of assault in the fourth degree (domestic violence), interfering with a domestic violence report, and misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree were forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office. Palin was held without bail until arraignment.”

Great American values family there. :|

Although am I understanding correctly that some are saying that someone in Cruz's situation wouldn't be a US citizen? Or just not "enough" of a US citizen to run for president? Because that's kind of silly.

No, he's undoubtably a citizen, and he was undoubtably a citizen at birth. The question is what "natural-born" actually means.

It's a dumb requirement in my opinion, but it's there, so we have to deal with whatever courts end up interpreting it to mean if the issue goes that far.

Did Palin really say Trump is going to unite all races and religions?

I don't even know what to do with that...

I've never jumped on the "Lets trash Palin" bandwagon. I have liked some things she has said and other things I have disagree with her on.

But the amount of personal insults and trash thrown at her for the past eight years has been pretty profane. Like the comment that some slaves were punished by having another slave defecate in his mouth and she should get the same.

Some have no problem ratcheting-up-the-insults when Sarah Palin is the target.
I don't appreciate any rhetoric that gets into racism, sexism, or anything like that, no matter the target. Anyone who says things that go in that direction about Palin are worthy of derision.

That said, there are plenty of female public figures who have had similar comments made about them who are far more worthy of your defense than Sarah Palin, who herself has done many, many things that deserve criticism. She is bad for the country and I wish nothing more than for her to stay wholly irrelevant in the national conversation unless it's to warn others what not to be like.

Sarah Palin is a profoundly incurious and stupid person. You can call it a personal insult, I call it a statement of fact. The idea that frontrunners of a national party should be fighting for her endorsement is the stuff of a bad soap opera plot and not serious political discourse but there you have it.

And of course she was going to endorse Trump. This woman can smell the greenbacks a mile away, let's at least give her that much credit. What good is Ted Cruz to a grifter like her?
You just have a bias towards your countryman

Screen-Shot-2015-05-29-at-11.53.01-AM.png

What the hell is the qualification, or track record, of half these clowns running for the GOP nomination anyhow? I mean, if you dial back some decades, as divisive a figure as Nixon was, there wasn't any real doubt that he had runs on the board. I wouldn't have voted for the fucker, but he was a former vice president with actual ideas about government. Trump? Cruz? Fuck outta here.

I think the rot started with Reagan.

(and yeah, though I'd prefer him to the likely alternatives these last eight years, Obama is the celebrity candidate par excellance. A senator who gave some good speeches.)

What the hell is the qualification, or track record, of half these clowns running for the GOP nomination anyhow? I mean, if you dial back some decades, as divisive a figure as Nixon was, there wasn't any real doubt that he had runs on the board. I wouldn't have voted for the fucker, but he was a former vice president with actual ideas about government. Trump? Cruz? Fuck outta here.

(and yeah, though I'd prefer him to the likely alternatives these last eight years, Obama is the celebrity candidate par excellance. A senator who gave some good speeches.)

There is a Cruz/Obama comparison to be made, at least when it comes to qualifying experiences. But what we're seeing in parts of the GOP base is a huge anti-establishment movement, and the belief that the system is so corrupt and the GOP establishment so ineffectual, that the best experience is lack of political experience.

This should come as a surprise to left wingers "disappointed" by Obama for failing to turn the US into Iceland in 8 years. Many on the right feel as if Obama has won at every turn, and they've been sold out and betrayed by the GOP establishment since the 2010 midterms when the Tea Party made major Congressional gains.

Some of that is true. The GOP only really cares about lowering taxes on rich people, all the social conservative hoo-ha and "starve the beast" talk is just to get the troops riled up and to the polls. The party is fracturing, and the delicious irony is that Trump is exactly the kind of guy who the GOP establishment cared most about -- a tycoon who only wants to get rich(er).

It's a throw the bums out kind of mood across the board. Having a lengthy resume is actually detrimental. Jeb is getting nowhere touting his experience as a successful governor (although he has now pulled ahead of Rubio in some polls)

Sanders is riding the same wave on the Democratic side going against the establishment Clinton. She has a recent resume from her stint as Secretary of State, unfortunately for her it's not a very good one. She gave Russia a red reset button as a symbolic gift, now they have taken over Crimea and are engaged in a proxy war with Ukraine In Donetsk and Luhansk. The Libya misadventures and rise of ISIL occurring in short order after her departure. Not to mention the handling of sensitive emails of which 2 were found to be SAP (above top secret) than managed to migrate to her private server. I think a while back I predicted she wouldn't be the nominee, because she'd be forced to drop out due to the scandal. That was before it has reached this level of security breach.

There has to be somebody waiting in the wings ready to hop in (Biden, Warren) should Clintons creek situation continue get stinkier.

That leaves the Democrats with Sanders who could end up being McGovern with a Twitter handle. The man would drive every business abroad and cause the 1% to relocate to Belize with his punitive taxes to pay for a cradle to grave entitlement state. While this may sound great to out of work millennials, B&B owners in Vermont and Napa Valley it just has no basis in mathematic logic.

I think this notion that Clinton will be in prison and Biden is waiting on the sidelines only exists in the right wing blogs. It's a right wing wet dream, they've been fantasizing about it since Bill. In the real world no one is worrying about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom