2016 US Presidential Election Pt. III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^

A++

I also find it kind of hilarious that everyone is demonizing Trump. Sure, he is a giant troll and asshole, but more concerning are the millions of people ready to vote for him. And let's also not forget the other Republican candidates, behaving like they are beacons of enlightenment when most of them hold thoroughly repugnant views themselves.

I'll go a step further and say that the respect and support for Clinton is troubling.

I'll find the Democratic primaries much more interesting than the Republican ones. Yeah yeah, probably Hillary... but it's not as though Bernie Sanders is gone just yet.

I still remember 2004 when John Kerry ended up remortgaging his own house at one point, so hard pressed was he against the Dean insurgency. People laugh about the Dean Scream, but the guy was the presumed frontrunner at one point.

The trouble is, Americans - through no fault of their own except their historical institutional inheritance - keep electing a monarch every four years. And in the way of monarchs, these heads of state have great power to wage war abroad, and not much control at all over local matters that the petty barons claim for their own.

Last edited:
I'll go a step further and say that the respect and support for Clinton is troubling.

I don't have a good sense of whether she really has ardent supporters or more people who will vote for her out of a sense of inevitability. I have stated here many times that in a lot of ways Hillary Clinton is the most disappointing political figure to me.

But stack her up next to these 15 (or however many) clowns and it's an obvious choice, even if you have to hold your nose when you check the box next to her name.

I don't have a good sense of whether she really has ardent supporters or more people who will vote for her out of a sense of inevitability. I have stated here many times that in a lot of ways Hillary Clinton is the most disappointing political figure to me.

But stack her up next to these 15 (or however many) clowns and it's an obvious choice, even if you have to hold your nose when you check the box next to her name.

100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'd probably also add the celebrity pull aspect of her candidacy. It feels like every day that she's got a new liberal celebrity fan, and knowing how she really is, everything about it just makes me feel endlessly uneasy.

I'll find the Democratic primaries much more interesting than the Republican ones. Yeah yeah, probably Hillary... but it's not as though Bernie Sanders is gone just yet.

I still remember 2004 when John Kerry ended up remortgaging his own house at one point, so hard pressed was he against the Dean insurgency. People laugh about the Dean Scream, but the guy was the presumed frontrunner at one point.

The trouble is, Americans - through no fault of their own except their historical institutional inheritance - keep electing a monarch every four years. And in the way of monarchs, these heads of state have great power to wage war abroad, and not much control at all over local matters that the petty barons claim for their own.

Kerry was the wealthiest person in the Senate. Doubt he was ever hard up at all.

Yes from her dead previous husband
But Kerry had family money of his own. Wouldn't have needed a refi.

If he had a fair amount of money in his house, and he wanted to put money into his campaign, it could make sense to take out a low-interest loan on the home instead of pulling cash out of relatively high-yielding stock investments, which is probably where most of his free assets were.

:shrug: It was an enthusiastic yell. A silly sounding one, sure, but certainly a hell of a lot less bizarre and weird than some of the other stuff politicians have said and done over the years. I mean, we had a term called "Bushism" for all the kooky stuff Bush Jr. said and yet that didn't stop people from electing HIM to a second term, so...

(And mind, I pretty much only know about Dean from that whole thing and a couple random interviews here and there from years past. But still. Just saying, being weird hasn't stopped other politicians from going far in a campaign.)

Last edited:
Well Dean got his revenge in a way. His whole campaigning strategy, fundraising strategy, were pretty much the template for Obama four years later.

As for Kerry, yes he is/was loaded. I guess that story about his home was probably just a show of how determined he was to stump up the money for the campaign, as he certainly wasn't anywhere near close to a lock on the nomination until the latter stages.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

The reaction to that was ludicrous in so many ways. Probably the first major instance of viral bullshit derailing a candidate that I can remember.

The very first election with televised debates was the greatest example of the power of media, though. Never forget that Nixon lost to Kennedy because he flop sweated.

The very first election with televised debates was the greatest example of the power of media, though. Never forget that Nixon lost to Kennedy because he flop sweated.

Oh yeah, no debate there about the significance of those tv debates. I think there's a difference, though, between awkwardness at a major staged event like a debate and a minor gaffe at a rally.

It wasn't just the yell that sunk him. Remember, the yell came after he finished third in Iowa after leading for weeks and being expected to win. He was already on the way down, the scream just sealed the deal

Interesting. I didn't really realize that before, but this is an interesting page. I have no idea how true these anecdotes are, but take them as you will:

https://www.quora.com/Was-Howard-De...-speech-scream-or-were-other-factors-to-blame

Specifically:

I've often told people who ask me about the scream that a couple things happened there. First, the mic he was using was an isolating condenser mic. What you couldn't hear from the footage was that the room was deafeningly loud, and Howard couldn't hear himself. Second, at the point that the scream happened, Howard already knew for a few weeks that he was done. At that point, he was campaigning to discharge the remaining campaign expenses and to get into the DNC Chairman spot. And he succeeded at both of those.

For what it's worth, someone actually did a study of the scream and found that it was played on TV over 900 times. In response to the obvious hatchet job they did on Howard, a couple news networks issued apologies.

:shrug: It was an enthusiastic yell. A silly sounding one, sure, but certainly a hell of a lot less bizarre and weird than some of the other stuff politicians have said and done over the years. I mean, we had a term called "Bushism" for all the kooky stuff Bush Jr. said and yet that didn't stop people from electing HIM to a second term, so...

(And mind, I pretty much only know about Dean from that whole thing and a couple random interviews here and there from years past. But still. Just saying, being weird hasn't stopped other politicians from going far in a campaign.)

Don't get me wrong I love Dean, but I can see how people would be weirded it out by it...I certainly was.

It just sucks for him that that one thing is basically what completely sunk him. I mean he was on his way out but that sealed the deal. And that scream is basically his legacy which sucks

i think i just read somewhere that TRUMP! called Cruz a maniac and said he (Cruz) wasn't qualified to be president. Okay for that i say :applaud:

And then there is this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-killed-164147972.html

Donald Trump claimed Sunday that Hillary Clinton "killed hundreds of thousands of people with her stupidity" with her decisions as secretary of state, seemingly shocking his interviewer.

In a "Fox News Sunday" interview, Trump said Clinton and President Barack Obama's foreign-policy decisions in Africa and the Middle East resulted in the deaths of "hundreds of thousands" of people.

"She is the one that caused all this problem with her stupid policies. You look at what she did with Libya, what she did with Syria. Look at Egypt, what happened with Egypt, a total mess."

"She was truly — if not the — one of the worst secretaries of state in the history of the country," he added. "She talks about me being dangerous. She's killed hundreds of thousands of people with her stupidity."

Wallace pushed Trump to clarify what he meant.

"The Middle East is a total disaster under her," Trump said.

Trump was responding to an interview this week in which Clinton said Trump's plan to temporarily ban most Muslims from traveling to the US was dangerous.

"He has gone way over the line. And what he’s saying now is not only shameful and wrong — it’s dangerous,” Clinton said.

The former secretary of state said Trump's proposal "plays right into the hands of terrorists" by alienating Muslims in Western countries and framing terrorism as a clash between Islam and the West.

“I don’t say that lightly, but it does. He is giving them a great propaganda tool, a way to recruit more folks from Europe and the United States," Clinton said. "And because it’s kind of crossed that line, I think everybody and especially other Republicans need to stand up and say, ‘Enough. You've gone too far.'"

Okay, so the middle east is kind of a total disaster, he is right about that. No one can even argue that point. However i don't see how she is to blame for Syria, Egypt, Libya, etc. Each of these countries have their own "leaders", many of them resent women anyways. How the hell is the US Sec of State responsible for all of the shit that went down in the middle east?

Okay, so the middle east is kind of a total disaster, he is right about that. No one can even argue that point. However i don't see how she is to blame for Syria, Egypt, Libya, etc. Each of these countries have their own "leaders", many of them resent women anyways. How the hell is the US Sec of State responsible for all of the shit that went down in the middle east?

What does this even mean. Who else are you going to blame for constant US intervention in the area? And a lot of these countries had "leaders" that at one point or another have been backed by the US, so I'm not really sure about what you're trying to get at with 'many of them resent women anyways' part.

Hillary is an extremely worrisome political figure and still almost definitely the person I will vote for next November. Because voting for the GOP is not only irresponsible, it's reprehensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom