2016 US Presidential Election Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had peppers on a cheesesteak, and it's not a standard part of the order. There are some places where you have to specifically ask not to have onions on it, but I've never once had to ask for no peppers.

Remember the good old days when Republican candidates didn't come off like they were running for some kind of World Wide Wrestling Federation novelty belt. Seriously, it points to a deeply degenerate politics. Probably well and truly terminal.

Remember the good old days when Republican candidates didn't come off like they were running for some kind of World Wide Wrestling Federation novelty belt. Seriously, it points to a deeply degenerate politics. Probably well and truly terminal.

The shift can be pinpointed to Pat Buchanan's speech at the 1992 Republican convention. Seriously. That was the birth of the modern crazy.

Only thing I will say is that they did actually nominate the sane candidate in 2008 and 2012.

I always thought Reagan started it, but yeah, 1992 would have to be some kind of tipping point.

I guess they nominated the sane candidate in 2008 but that candidate then skated awfully close to the edge with his VP pick.

CLKkTpkWoAEmiyl.jpg

I always thought Reagan started it, but yeah, 1992 would have to be some kind of tipping point.

i remember watching it as a kid, and feeling that there was something really unsettling and gross about it, even though i was barely politically aware. it was the first time i really paid attention to a presidential race, and i think it turned me into a lifelong anti-GOP voter (at least on a national level)

TAMPA, Fla. — Twenty years ago, Patrick J. Buchanan rocked the Republican convention in Houston by declaring there was a “cultural war” taking place for the soul of America, denouncing the Democratic Party as one that supported abortion, radical feminism and the “homosexual rights movement.”

“The agenda Clinton and Clinton would impose on America — abortion on demand, a litmus test for the Supreme Court, homosexual rights, discrimination against religious schools, women in combat — that’s change, all right,” said Mr. Buchanan, a conservative commentator who was a rival to President George Bush in the 1992 campaign. “But it is not the kind of change America wants.”

The speech — along with similarly sharp-edged addresses by the evangelist Pat Robertson and Marilyn Quayle, the wife of Vice President Dan Quayle — pushed issues like abortion, gay rights, religion and the role of women in society to the front of the stage, often loudly. Supporters of Mr. Bush pointed to the tone of the convention as one of the reasons he lost the election that November to Bill Clinton.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/u...buchanans-words-now-seem-mainstream.html?_r=0

I guess they nominated the sane candidate in 2008 but that candidate then skated awfully close to the edge with his VP pick.

i'd say they got a running start and jumped far over the edge with Ms. Palin.

That culture wars stuff had a long pedigree, I can remember some old documentary once concerning the takeover of the GOP by the 'conservative movement' and there was some clip of one of those big preachers (not Falwell or any of those) doing a spot around the time Reagan was running in 1980 and it's all 'we've had enough of the hippies and the perverts and the libruls and the dropouts and deviants and moderate conservatives...'

You could trace it even farther back to the Temperance and Nativist movements of the mid-19th century, if not farther. I'm struggling to remember my American history here, but it seems the inclusion/exclusion culture clash has roots even before the revolution.

You could trace it even farther back to the Temperance and Nativist movements of the mid-19th century, if not farther. I'm struggling to remember my American history here, but it seems the inclusion/exclusion culture clash has roots even before the revolution.

Yeah. The Sixties-ruined-society (with a bitter spoonful of leftover anticommunist paranoia) iteration is just the most recent.

Yeah. The Sixties-ruined-society (with a bitter spoonful of leftover anticommunist paranoia) iteration is just the most recent.

What's significant about 1992 is that it's when the culture warriors took control of the GOP away from the country club/chamber of commerce Republicans. It was when the Baby Boomers (Clinton) were taking power away from the WW2 generation (Bush 1), and within the Baby Boom, the fault lines drawn up around the Vietnam War.

What's significant about 1992 is that it's when the culture warriors took control of the GOP away from the country club/chamber of commerce Republicans. It was when the Baby Boomers (Clinton) were taking power away from the WW2 generation (Bush 1), and within the Baby Boom, the fault lines drawn up around the Vietnam War.
The only liberal on either side of my family is my oldest uncle who fought in Vietnam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom