2012 US Presidential Election Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I'm going to watch 24 minutes and 2 seconds of whatever that is. I'm a busy woman.

I have a lot of pot to smoke and chicks to marry.

Oh, sorry. I'm not going to marry them all at once. I'm going to marry each one for 72 hours and then get a divorce.

So, you know, I can protect the sanctity of marriage.

God bless Obama. I'm still unemployed. I get $1,200 a month in section 8. I get $900 in food stamps. I get $1,300 a month in unemployment benifits for 6 more months. We'll get free healthcare next year. Just wish I lived in Colorado where weed is legal. Now I probably have to sell $200 of my food stamps a month for weed. But it's worth it. I'm gonna go get my free phone next week. What else do we need ? Thanks Obama. I'll never look for a job again! Woohee

corianderstem said:
Now, everybody is jumping on Romney's chain today, getting in his chili.

.... what?

That and the Santa Claus shit, I have no idea what he's saying. Usually I can't understand him because I don't reside in the same batshit crazy alternate universe, but apparently he's got his own language on top of insane views.

I liked the paragraph where he listed off the minority republicans of note in recent years. It's like the old I'm not racist, I have black friends!

God bless Obama. I'm still unemployed. I get $1,200 a month in section 8. I get $900 in food stamps. I get $1,300 a month in unemployment benifits for 6 more months. We'll get free healthcare next year. Just wish I lived in Colorado where weed is legal. Now I probably have to sell $200 of my food stamps a month for weed. But it's worth it. I'm gonna go get my free phone next week. What else do we need ? Thanks Obama. I'll never look for a job again! Woohee

The more important question...

How was the gay wedding?

cori :lol:

my signal was out ...never finshed but first....

came very late last night and read all of the 20+ pages i missed aafter leaving! I empathized with people's posts here watching the election...

also

catman omg! your gifs (esp, then, forgiving florida! :lmao:
cori's Ru Paul I got to get away(!) for a bit solution
and was it your Fresh Prince gif omg never seen that!

anyway i went to vote at the "wrong" time when people hit the polls after work
stood in line in the dark and cold 10 plus degrees below average) for 3 block stint for 1 1/2 hrs. Then like 30 mins just to inch (at least INside!)down a long hallway to finally get to a fairly tiny room where people were sort of snaking in between each other for the different districts.

This was in a big housing complex. I got there around 5:40 and was by the bus stop ( 2 blocks away) at 8:35

i've always voted in a school -gym or auditorium- a biggish space- either before regular work hours were over or between 7 -8:45PM (polls here close @ 9P ). maybe the biggest line i'd been on was ?20 mins! :lol:

So instead of being able to walk back home to grab my camera-- i headed down to "Democracy Plaza"/Decision 2012 aka Rockefeller Plaza skating rink area above it hosted by NBC & earler in eve MSNBC Some of your caught a glimpse of that. if i went back home and back up to get to the bus i thought i might miss too much at that point

Tho i had a little transitor radio w me i didn't turn iut on- descided to wait till i saw the blue/red EC numbers ribbons. I swung in on the Romney side . It looked like he was leading by some, thern i realized i was looking at it at such a sharp angle it might not have been so bad.
I was right-- but i missed all the scarey numbers v rom earlier.. i saw the 163 R 162 O

We know what happened suddenly when califonia kicked in etc
the
they actually hauled Pres Obamas # sign to too close to the window area where the magic 270 was. There was this too little space to display change stuff after the ? 243 result

suddenly after the next 2 or 3 results i looked away for a sec, and started to hear the intake of breath from the crowd. I swung my head up and there was the 274! I blinked, gasped, almost started crying then cheered w the crowd. but it was so sudden....that i thot oh is that the right number? :huh: Even as i intellectually couold see it was above 270!
I believed it 90% of the way...but really not completely till the conseccion/acceptence speeches!

Then here was even more fun-- while waiting for Mittens I noticed a brightly lit corner area off the southside of the south end of the big building. At this point the # was 290.
More excitingly it look like people could go inside!:ohmy::hyper:

It turned out to be The MSNBC Experience place. Stood around listening to to the panel talking, picked up some buttons. Finally as some people came downstairs we could go upstairs. Itwas where an audience can watch on big screen with reg chairs, tables, and big cushy chairs "the morning Joe " show. got a free latte w an Donkey on top of the foam

sitting outside the big area after someone got up the woman talking suddenly stops mid-setence saying "this is from just few seconds ago from the AP "the Call has been made" !(!!!finally) Was able to get inside and wait there, sit down and got to see Pres Obama's speech!

it was great time!
Just sooooooooooooooo grateful it turned out this way!

next post for the WTF USA long lines thing!?:huh::|

>implying free healthcare is a bad thing.

At least that's what it seemed like from your post.

Also, Obama's going to make healthcare free for all? I don't think I ever heard that, unless I'm mistaken.

LuckyNumber7 said:
The more important question...

How was the gay wedding?

I ain't gay at all. Just an employed lumberjack with two kids and a wife.

The Mystery Of The Long Lines for Voting In The USA

It's been happening particularly in the last 4 Presidential Elections. It may even be that it's been going on longer but with the advent of The Net and now Social Media.
Waits have been 2-3, 4, 6 even sometimes 9 plus hours. Unbelieveable!

But it turns out that this now usually happens in heavily Democratic areas. How so?
I tried to find out some more on a specificpoint but could not... caveat...
Each State in America has a Secretary of State. I don't know what the breadth of thier activites are, and whether there are more than one for different areas.

The SOS of Elections [remember Katherine Harris of Florida!] oversees the allotment of poll workers, number of machines etc for each election cycle. I believe they are appointed by the govenor. It has turned out that in majority white parts of a within a county or between counties when it seems that the governer is now of the tea party, radical right-the white areas (i don't know if there's class issue involved as well) get way more machines and workers. the other areas get less often way less. Thus.... the long lines.

this was definately pointed out in 2008.

I'm not sure whether when the controlling republicans of a state esp the more radical right ones- have gone to even more extremes in turns of redrawing didtrict bounderies to favorite white and right wing candidates. his also makes it harder for democrasts or even the more moderatec republicans to stay in office.
At one time there were real moderate and even liberal republicans. I campaigned for 2 of them back in the late 60'3s begining 70's. the only 2 i ever volunteered for.

No. I just watch tv on friday nite while on vicodins paid by you!

can't tell whether you are sort of ha ha snidely saying youn are putting one over on people.

but since you are taking vicodin you have an injury of some sort...from work? temporary , medium, long term etc

i'm guessing you might not be happy with having had an injury but aren't you glad you have some kind okf safety net?

you'd have practically zippo under romney/ (esp)ryan

or are you just trolling?

:doh::scratch:

For the life of me, I just don't get it.......what is all the happiness about?

I'm telling you this because I am your friend and best friends always have to be honest with each other - All you got was four more years of unemployment, more people getting stoned on marijuana, the gradual disappearance of the traditional family unit, and most important - America continuing to be a laughing stock of the world, even though you live in one of the greatest countries on the planet.

By the way, I'm still scratching my head over Obama's Nobel peace prize that he won four years ago.......exactly what did he do to deserve it?

I have no doubt that I'll be getting criticism for this post - but that's what friends (and open discussion) are for........:hug:

more people getting stoned on marijuana,

Hasn't legalisation of marijuana decreased consumption? ie. Portugal?

the gradual disappearance of the traditional family unit

It's not really a massive disappearance and this is not a bad thing anyway.

even though you live in one of the greatest countries on the planet.

What defines being 'one of the greatest countries on the planet'?

By the way, I'm still scratching my head over Obama's Nobel peace prize that he won four years ago.......exactly what did he do to deserve it?

I do agree with this though.

I have no doubt that I'll be getting criticism for this post - but that's what friends (and open discussion) are for........:hug:

Nah, it's not worth the time. You've become a drive by poster, you don't even bother to engage anymore. You reiterate what Fox tells you then plug up the ole ears and run away. I'm just telling you the truth, that's what friends are for...

putting this with your second post? on this thread possibly gives me a bit more educated guess about ytour socio-political leanings. correct me if i'm wrong.

Well, President Obama won re-election and I could hear almost hear the champagne bottles opening in Tehran and all around the Arab world.
i don't know whether to :sigh: or :rolleyes: at such a broad statement

Not every Arab islamist or not hates the USA!

Make no mistake - the next four years will be rough. Obama now has absolutely nothing to lose. He won't be up for re-election and he can do pretty much whatever the hell he wants to do....starting with major payback for those who went against him (starting with our prime minister...lol). Behind that friendly "all-American everyman" smile lurks a man who is chomping at the bit to take revenge (HIS own words.....). As the saying goes: "Hell hath no fury as a presidential candidate scorned....." (or something like that...lol).

I'm as New Yorker.
I am an ex-Catholic, ex-Christian but still quite spiritual person. I partly grew up in neighborhoods that for a fair amount of time were 60 - 40% Jewish: Conservative, Reform, maybe Secular Cultural/Humanist as well. No Orthodox ( tho when i lived in brookyln i wasn't too far away from an area where some Orthodox Jews lived as in seeing/hearing the ram's horn on ? passover -i foget maybe Rosh a Shana?)

What a lot of Americans (non Jews) don't know is that in Israelthere is a much broader range of opinions on "dealing with" the Arabs within and the Arab countries surrounding it. There are genuine Peace Groups in Israel. ?Seeds of Peace is a group that started with bringing Jewish and Arab or Palestinian children & teens together to begin to express their experiences, to learn from each other and form understanding, emopathy and friendship. There are Jews who conitnue to protest their governments continued expansion in the West Bank. To increase and try more peace talks etc

You will hardly ever hear this here in American with more either corporate or more supportive only of more right-wing Jewish groups, prominent individuals. Unless you happen to "run into"[/I the more left leaning either secular or reform Jews here in NYC mostly but elsewhere, too.

What people also may not remember is before Netanyahu
became PM... there was a time he was was campaigning against Yitzak Rabin

from wikipedia:
Nonetheless, hostility continued to mount against Rabin. Haredi conservatives and Likud party leaders believed that withdrawing from any Jewish land was heresy. Rallies, organized partially by Likud, became increasingly extreme in tone. Likud leader (and future Prime Minister) Benjamin Netanyahu accused Rabin’s government of being “removed from Jewish tradition ... and Jewish values.” *Netanyahu addressed protesters of the Oslo movement at rallies where posters portrayed Rabin in a Nazi SS uniform or being the target by in the cross-hairs of a sniper.[1] Rabin accused Netanyahu of provoking violence, a charge which Netanyahu strenuously denied.[2]
* oh gee, where have we seen this reccently

That being said, G-d bless America, I LOVE all of you, and, like it or not, always remember that Israel is the ONLY REAL friend that you have in the Middle East and you NEED us to be strong and stable because you really DON'T want to see (or even think about) a Middle East without us......

I bristle when i hear people talking about the elimination of Israel like Akmedinajhad <sp> and many more.
But staying right wing with the Likud Party is nmot the answer.

Our lovely, esteemed conservative commentator Andrew Bolt weighs in. Read for laughs.

My favourite bits:

Obama, who four years ago promised such a transformative presidency that “this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal”, has plainly failed.

Yet he’s back in the White House, and Republican Mitt Romney, the successful businessman and governor is not.

Successful businessman and governor = should be president.

In a victory this narrow almost anything can be said to have made the difference: Superstorm Sandy blowing away Romney’s momentum, the blame-Bush hangover or whatever cause you want to push.

But Obama should have been swept away so comprehensively as to make such if-buts pointless.

Almost 100 EC votes ahead (will certainly be if he wins Florida) but apparently it's close. And no bias in that second line, at all.

But this is not just a problem of racial identification. The Latino and African American voters are also likely to be the kind of people with their hand out for benefits.

Unemployment among African Americans is more than 14 per cent, twice that of whites. One in 10 Latinos is jobless, and average earnings are even lower than they are for blacks.

This makes welfarism even harder to wind back for any president who needs to win an election.

Some good ol' racism. Those lazy non-whites! All livin' off welfare and they reckon they should be allowed to vote?!

And true, nearly half all Americans live in households receiving a government entitlement.

How do you start to wind that back and slash the deficit, as Romney threatened, without alienating more voters than you can win?

This is America’s great challenge, and its future strength hangs on making the rational choices it yesterday dodged.

And let's finish with some mind-boggling sweeping generalisations that somehow manage to break down the US' 314 million + population into one convenient bracket. (For those playing at home, this guy writes for the Herald Sun, which is owned by Murdoch.)

Someone tell Rush, Billy O, Hannity et al that they have a friend over here in Australia.

Yes, Barack Obama did get re-elected - but it's wrong | Herald Sun

the gradual disappearance of the traditional family unit, and most important - America continuing to be a laughing stock of the world, even though you live in one of the greatest countries on the planet.

O wise one, do tell me how the "disappearance" of the "traditional family unit" will negatively affect anything. In fact, if you could just tell me what a "traditional family unit" is, and how it is the ONLY thing that contributes to a strong nation, I'd be happy.

Even most of the centrist/right-leaning people here in Australia are happy Obama won. The States would have been the laughing stock if a party where it's a-okay to make up your own definitions of rape had got in the white house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom