2012 US Presidential Election Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Big Bird in the voting line, how I wish that was real. Can you legally wear such an outfit to vote? I suppose if you don't have to show ID. That's hilarious. Address? Sesame Street. What precinct is that in?

so what I've heard from The Edge Shultz Show

in Philidelphia the turnout for Obama areas are 20% higher than 2008.

Very high turn out in the Akcron Ohio area with alot of people voting for Obama.
I've also heard that voting in Obama areas in the Philadelphia suburbs is down this year, so who knows.

Also, it's Philadelphia and Akron.

IIRC, NBCrusader didn't leave because of pro-left bias, that's a given in FYM.
And he didn't leave because he was scared of an argument. We all liked him.
I believe he left because of the incessant insulting of Christians.

got an e-mail from a good friend of a good friend -seriously trustworthy on these matters (& in general)

### ALERTfor Any NYC Voters/ or NYC Voters you know ###

According to WBLS, voters must be sure not to check “All Democrat” (or I presume “all Republican”) on the ballot. You must check every person you’re voting for. If you check “all democrat” or “all republican,” they stated that your presidential vote will not be counted. Please share this with others.

luckily i checked my e-mail

I wasn't implying NBCrusader when I gave my suggestions as to why so few Republicans came to FYM this time, if that's what you mean.

I think he left right before the Christian bashing began, but if he ever felt like coming back, I could see why he would feel uncomfortable.

I've also heard that voting in Obama areas in the Philadelphia suburbs is down this year, so who knows.

Also, it's Philadelphia and Akron.

i was uclear...this was Philadelphia City proper not the 'burbs. sorry

yeah sorry not the best speller or typer...

makes for a messy typos situation at times
esp if i'm rushing

getting ready to go out and vote

I wasn't implying NBCrusader when I gave my suggestions as to why so few Republicans came to FYM this time, if that's what you mean.

I think he left right before the Christian bashing began, but if he ever felt like coming back, I could see why he would feel uncomfortable.

No, just making a general comment, not towards you, Pearl.

What's with the lines? I've never had to wait longer than 5 mins, and that's in a country where its compulsory to vote. Are there just very few polling places?

nbcrusader if you're out there and you can hear us. . .

Come baaaaaaaaaaack. . . .

:)

CNN says a second machine in PA was making an Obama vote into a Romney vote. So glad my little town has paper ballots.

I think they also said that NJ has extended online voting until Fri because of Hurricane Sandy.

Romney' s campaign predicting he'll get at least 300 electoral votes.

Heading home from work to settle in front of the TV, next to the fireplace...there better be holograms on CNN tonight or I'll be very disappointed.

FYM had several virulent homophobes 10 years ago, well before i joined.

Melon waged a great war against them, and clearly won. he didn't run away.

What's with the lines? I've never had to wait longer than 5 mins, and that's in a country where its compulsory to vote. Are there just very few polling places?

Polling places are governed locally, so some areas will have more than others. I live in a densely populated area of Los Angeles and while there was a line, it wasn't too bad. The only reason the line was that bad is I think they were having some issues with the ballot box. The map of my precinct was tiny, basically 6 blocks. In other cities and states, they have fewer polling places hence the stupid long lines.

Part of the issue is also that our elections are on workdays, so you get a huge rush when polls open and a huge rush after 5. Having 2 days of voting on say a weekend, would help.

i felt mildly suppressed today.

i have no idea how 5 machines in a small hallway on a side entrance with a small handwritten sign in english directing you to the side door was supposed to adequately serve a neighborhood filled with dozens of high-rise condominiums and low-income apartments in a city that's deeply blue in a swing state that's now controlled by Republicans.

but i waited 2 hours and got it done.

If that's the reason, that's a shame. I'm with everyone else, I'd love to have him back here posting. He and I always had the kinds of political discussions I want-passionate, but respectful. And he seemed like a nice guy in general.

I don't know...Chris Christie might have a lot of pull in 2016, if Romney loses. Some were practically begging him to run this year. He's certainly not the tea party.

Good point. This is true. Like I said, I certainly would love it if the Republican Party did change up their platform and wind up taking the route you mentioned someday, so, yeah, we'll see what happens over time.

Another thing about not voting. Look at all the people who lost everything in Sandy. And they're getting out to vote.

I think that's pretty admirable :up:. I'm really glad to hear that news-obviously understand they have a lot on their minds and a lot of really important personal stuff to deal with. But it is cool to hear they're taking some time for this as well.

Also, I fully agree with your views on the importance of voting, especially in the whole "woman voter" aspect. Yes, there's a lot of issues we have regarding how our votes are counted and "matter" here, so to speak, and all that. I get that. But I still get to voice my opinion, and that in and of itself is the most important thing. Women put themselves on the line to let others like me be able to participate in the process at all to begin with, I feel I owe it to them to vote as a way to thank them for their hard work and determination and fight.

Obama wins. Bono has spoken.

29uybes.jpg

15p6gwy.jpg

That is really interesting. I never noticed that before. Huh :hmm:.

Re the funny U2 coincidence. Isn't that kind of useless* without knowing how voting went in election years where they DIDN'T release an album?

A repub won in years where U2 released an album ... but there's no album this year, so we have no data to go on about how voting will go.

BONO CONSPIRACY!

*I realize the whole thing is useless.

Re the funny U2 coincidence. Isn't that kind of useless* without knowing how voting went in election years where they DIDN'T release an album?

A repub won in years where U2 released an album ... but there's no album this year, so we have no data to go on about how voting will go.

BONO CONSPIRACY!

*I realize the whole thing is useless.

Well, the years they didn't release an album were 92, 96 and 08. Clinton, Clinton, Obama. :hmm:

Crusader and I have remained friends and stayed in contact for awhile, and now chat ever so often. He said it just got in his way of his job and sanity, he thought the childishness of the posters even those that agreed with him rubbed him the wrong way and said it felt very retrogressive...

Anyone else having an Election Party?

We're serving Happy Meals, Chick-fil-A and 40 oz Super Big Gulps... all the nourishment liberals love to hate. I'd invite y'all but you'd never get past the front gate. :wink:

The Stranger (Seattle wonderful weekly uber-liberal paper; home of Dan Savage's column) is having a party at a downtown club. It'll either be full of drunken merriment or drunken misery.

Maybe a combination, if Romney wins but Same-Sex Marriage passes.

I'll get home about 5:30. I'm not going to turn on the TV for at least an hour and am going to read or write instead. Then I will take a deep breath, grab my Jamesons, buckle up, and turn on the TV. I might turn down the volume and crank loud, aggressive music.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.

I'm just going to pack my bags for Canada and hide under the covers. If Obama wins I'll give my plane ticket to one of those Republicans who said they were moving to Canada if he won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom