2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it isn't at all what the word racism is understood to be nor how it is used socially.

Nor is it how it's defined.

And now I will cut and paste the definition of racism (because obviously someone has to):

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

link

ImOuttaControl, according to the definition of racism, your example does not qualify as racism. Are those kids lame, as yolland put it? Yep, but it does not rise -- or rather sink -- to the level of racism.

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

Tell me which one your theory fits under...

Last edited:
Nor is it how it's defined.

And now I will cut and paste the definition of racism (because obviously someone has to):

link

ImOuttaControl, according to the definition of racism, your example does not qualify as racism. Are those kids lame, as yolland put it? Yep, but it does not rise -- or rather sink -- to the level of racism.

Because a dictionary says it, it must be so? What does common sense say? Common Sense, that's what I'm about. If a white person in Kentucky votes for McCain simply because he's white, that's racism to me. If a black person in Chicago votes for Obama simply because he's black, that's racism.

I view racism as judging someone according to their race, rather than the "content of their character." Luckily, I know I'd have the good doctor to agree with me.

Tell me which one your theory fits under...

Dictionary: reverse discrimination

n.
Discrimination against members of a dominant or majority group, especially when resulting from policies established to correct discrimination against members of a minority or disadvantaged group.

Is that good enough for you?

Please tell me...would you be arguing the same position if we were talking about McCain having massive support among whites and among some (maybe few) blacks who think he should be elected "because he's white?"

In my original posts I talked about some of my students saying they were voting Obama because "it's time we had a black president." I quoted Dr. King. I said that racism under any circumstance is unacceptable.

I'm franky incredibly suprised that there is any arguement of me saying this on this forum...it saddens me.

I'm not attacking your candidate!!! I'm saying that it's sad that race still plays a role in our elections and that race is benefitting Obama in some areas and hurting him in others.

Because a dictionary says it, it must be so? What does common sense say? Common Sense, that's what I'm about. If a white person in Kentucky votes for McCain simply because he's white, that's racism to me. If a black person in Chicago votes for Obama simply because he's black, that's racism.

I view racism as judging someone according to their race, rather than the "content of their character." Luckily, I know I'd have the good doctor to agree with me.

So you determine the definition of words? Okey dokey then. :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better to believe it, go right ahead.

But you are wrong.

Please tell me...would you be arguing the same position if we were talking about McCain having massive support among whites and among some (maybe few) blacks who think he should be elected "because he's white?"

In my original posts I talked about some of my students saying they were voting Obama because "it's time we had a black president." I quoted Dr. King. I said that racism under any circumstance is unacceptable.

I'm franky incredibly suprised that there is any arguement of me saying this on this forum...it saddens me.

I'm not attacking your candidate!!! I'm saying that it's sad that race still plays a role in our elections and that race is benefitting Obama in some areas and hurting him in others.

I would just think they were stupid. Just as I think your students are stupid. Just because they are voting for the candidate I think is the correct choice doesn't mean I think the reason you said they gave for voting that way isn't stupid. It is STUPID, but it isn't racist.

Luckily, I know I'd have the good doctor to agree with me.
:eyebrow: No, you don't know that at all. King didn't pen those words in response to the question, "What is the definition of racism?" He was envisioning the ideal colorblind American society of the future, to which racism (see supplied dictionary definition)--specifically, the antiblack racism of the Jim Crow South, the belief that blacks are inherently inferior to whites--was the most potent threat in his day. You have no basis whatsoever for presuming to know whether or not he would deem your students' voting motives "racist."
...race is benefitting Obama in some areas and hurting him in others.
Now this much is true.

Yes, common sense. Common sense says that a lot of people will be drawn toward the historic event, or will at least be most excited about that aspect of their vote – be it the first black president or, if Hillary had gone through, the first female president. It’s not the right reason to vote, but that doesn’t make it racism or sexism if people point to it as part of their logic for choosing that option. As you say, it’s about character and I don’t think Obama’s race, or Hillary’s ovaries, are/were totally overriding character and do not make them bulletproof. To a true racist or sexist, those things do override character - and I'd say that's likely where the huge difference is between most people saying "I am voting for him because I want to see a black president" and those saying "I will not vote for him because I do not want to see a black president".

I would just think they were stupid. Just as I think your students are stupid. Just because they are voting for the candidate I think is the correct choice doesn't mean I think the reason you said they gave for voting that way isn't stupid. It is STUPID, but it isn't racist.

I'm sorry, but you'd get an "F" in my class, and I'd sit i the lounge and talk about how "stupid.....STUPID" ...that arguement is...and all of my ultra union friends would agree with me.

You still didn't answer my major question: "Please tell me...would you be arguing the same position if we were talking about McCain having massive support among whites and among some (maybe few) blacks who think he should be elected "because he's white?" Would that not be racism?

You're argueing semantics. I'm arguing what is right and wrong. I think racism is wrong, on either side. But whatever, it's my bedtime. Nighty night.

Because a dictionary says it, it must be so? What does common sense say?

I know. :tsk: Whatta bunch of elitists, depending dictionaries and books, of all things, for knowledge.

Oh, and quoting "the good doctor" out of context, with absolutely no idea what the hell he was talking about, doesn't really make you any more correct.

Dictionary: reverse discrimination

n.
Discrimination against members of a dominant or majority group, especially when resulting from policies established to correct discrimination against members of a minority or disadvantaged group.

Is that good enough for you?

Well it's a nice try, but it still misses the point. I agree it's misguided to vote for a black man because he's a black man, or a woman because she's a woman.

But a man wanting to vote for a woman because she's a woman would never be considered misogynist...

I'm sorry, but you'd get an "F" in my class, and I'd sit i the lounge and talk about how "stupid.....STUPID" ...that arguement is...and all of my ultra union friends would agree with me.

You still didn't answer my major question: "Please tell me...would you be arguing the same position if we were talking about McCain having massive support among whites and among some (maybe few) blacks who think he should be elected "because he's white?" Would that not be racism?

You're argueing semantics. I'm arguing what is right and wrong. I think racism is wrong, on either side. But whatever, it's my bedtime. Nighty night.

Ah, but my parents wouldn't have sent me to your school, so you would never have gotten the chance to fail me. ;) (and that was a nicer answer than my first choice, which was: "yeah, I bet you would. I had some silly teachers when I was in school, it's just part of life." So see, I wasn't as snarky as I could be. ;) )

Yes, I did answer your question. Read my last reply again.

I do believe that words have specific meaning. Racism has a specific meaning and that meaning isn't what you think it is. Is what you said the kids said about their reason for voting for Obama stupid? Damn right, it is stupid, mighty damned stupid. They seem to completely lack critical thinking skills. But it isn't racism.

This is scary:

YouTube - Obama Natural Born II Update

Even though Obama will probably win the election in the popular vote on Nov. 4th, the Electoral College doesn't cast their vote until Dec. 15th.

What if it's found out that Obama isn't a citizen thereby disqualifying him, and the Electoral College is left w/no other option but to vote McCain in?

I can see complete anarchy and pandemonium breaking out.

Pray for America.

<>

What if it's found out that Obama isn't a citizen thereby disqualifying him

Do you honestly, seriously think a candidate for the President of the United States of America could a)make it even halfway through the primaries, b)receive the official party nomination and c)make it all the way to one week before the election without someone verifying that he's eligible to run?

Pray for America.

Now I know you're not being serious.

LOL!!! I'm disturbed that you think racism is okay...if it benefits you and your candidate.

Pray tell, what is racism??? If voting for someone because of their race is not racism is, what the fuck is racism? I have given a specific examples of some people saying they will vote for a candidate because of race, and others have given examples of not voting for a candidate because of race. How is that different???

Put it another way..If all white people in the U.S.A. voted for a white candidate ONLY because he is white while rejecting a far superior black candidate, costing the black candidate the election, is that not racism?? How bout vice versa?

you have a very static, one-dimensional view of what race is, does, and means.

This is scary ... Pray for America.

No, diamond, you are scary in your single-mindedness on this "issue" you insist on parading out every other day.

And I am praying for America. I'm praying that Americans stop paying attention to absolute bullshit like this, use their common sense and vote wisely.

And by vote wisely, I mean not voting out of fear, xenophobia, racism, or whatever ugly things this election has brought out in people.

This is scary:

YouTube - Obama Natural Born II Update

Even though Obama will probably win the election in the popular vote on Nov. 4th, the Electoral College doesn't cast their vote until Dec. 15th.

What if it's found out that Obama isn't a citizen thereby disqualifying him, and the Electoral College is left w/no other option but to vote McCain in?

Pray for America.

<>

You're the best troll ever.

And I hope you would renounce this preacher the

Diamond have you seen one poster praise Wright?

In fact I haven't seen one person post a sermon of hate for "positive" reasons except you. You found a black preacher that didn't like Obama, so the hate was justified, right?

It's sad.

This is scary:

Pray for America.

<>

Uh, don't forget there is more than one name on the ballot.
In this crazypants scenario, Joe Biden would certainly be elected.

48 states have winner-take-all.
Those pledged electors then are usually frmo the party that wins the State.

If anything under this lunatic fringe idea, the question would be, "who do they vote for VP?" And I'd bet the easy choice is HRC.

Lose, lose for you.
Move on to the next 'Hail Mary'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom