2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no comment on the topic of conservatives in the forum. I brought it up months ago and have been publicly mocked since.

Libertinearians ;)

That the bulk of conservatives on FYM support government intrusion into peoples social lives and discrimination doesn't help, it's as if by tarring all conservatives as Rush Limbaugh meets other stereotypical bigot it drove away thinking people.

If by "talking" you mean "so burnt out on outrage and bickering that we can barely stand to muster up anything resembling intelligent discourse for the next ten days," then yes. Yes, we are.

Of all the things I've read and agreed with here, this one is #1.

But the thing is, I've gotten so burnt in the last few weeks, so short-tempered, so snippy with people. It's not good. And I blame it on the constant bickering and finger pointing of the campaign. It rubs off, and it's unescapable, even if you are not on these boards or avoid the news. It's everywhere.
Not that Obama promotes the nastiness. But McCain does. I'm not doing a good job following Obama's lead.
Alcohol is working for me these days.:up:

Well it is only the nasty Republican right that is responsible for the flavour of the campaign, let's not blame Democrats meek and mild.

Although there's definitely bullshit and eye-rollingness (and some downright disappointing things) coming from supporters on both sides, so there's that.

But you know what? I just chalk it up to there being a lot of assholes out there on all sides, not "those democrats/republicans/nudists are horrible people who will do anything to make sure their side wins."

You are being very careful with your language, I agree that the McCain campaign is using dodgy tactics, but I would not say that the left is any better than the right in general.

In general, I agree - and definitely when it comes to their supporters. But in specific areas I think there are paths the left would take that the right wouldn't and vice versa.

I'd love a political campaign someday where the candidates will just tell you why they are the best person for the job and tell people what they will do if elected, and leave all the negative ads and finger pointing out of it.

While I'm at it, I'd also like a pony. And some diamond shoes.

You know, there's a difference to me between Obama saying "Look, McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time" which is true, and McCain saying "Obama is not who you think he is; palling around with terrorists, Muslim, etc. blah blah blah...."
which is not true.
I mean, when your guy is down, do you really want him to punch his opponent in the nuts? I don't. I wanted a fair fight, but it hasn't been that for months.

by the way when did they start playing the league game in scotland, jimmy ? Thought they were primarily union ?

There's a reason why I'm willing to openly support them over my native New Zealand...Scotland aren't going to threaten anyone. But dad's from Scotland and one of their players plays for the club I support. I don't think they're much good at either.

You know, there's a difference to me between Obama saying "Look, McCain has voted with Bush 90% of the time" which is true, and McCain saying "Obama is not who you think he is; palling around with terrorists, Muslim, etc. blah blah blah...."
which is not true.
I mean, when your guy is down, do you really want him to punch his opponent in the nuts? I don't. I wanted a fair fight, but it hasn't been that for months.
Well, as far as I know Obama isn't a Muslim, but it was definitely Republicans who brought this sort of stuff up first.

Cute, except this was around on right wing radio way before the Senator from New York decided to roll around in some mud.

Libertinearians ;)

That the bulk of conservatives on FYM support government intrusion into peoples social lives and discrimination doesn't help, it's as if by tarring all conservatives as Rush Limbaugh meets other stereotypical bigot it drove away thinking people.

:applaud:

I think the circumstances were a little different than just conservatives v. liberals.

I can think of at least three specific times it has been thrown at me in the midst of discussion since I brought it up. What ever circumstances there may have been in your mind, I do not think you are impartial enough to disucss it publicly with me. Fair enough?

I do not think I said you did.

Anyways, it certainly has been fun these few months, watching deep pretend to fill the missing void in this forum.

He is probably worried that McCain may pull an upset, and may have to actually keep pretending for the next four years.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom