2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
obamagrandma2x.jpg

R.I.P.

This breaks my heart...:sad:
She will definitely be watching over him tomorrow and always.
Another angel on his shoulder.:angel:

Praying for Senator Obama and his family...:pray:

Very sad news, and I'm really glad that Barack had a chance to go visit with her. I know what peace that brought to my Mom last year when she went to see her mother.

As for deep's bet, I am going over.

Very sad news, and I'm really glad that Barack had a chance to go visit with her. I know what peace that brought to my Mom last year when she went to see her mother.

As for deep's bet, I am going over.

I say under for sure. It's gonna be close.

Oh, man. Please please please please please please please let this all end well.

And by 'well' I mean Obama wins by wide enough a margin that there isn't another 2000.

I'm feeling anxious.

here is the over / under line is again

perhaps we should take over and under bets, like with football scores.

538.com puts it at 340.5

under bet is at 340 and less

over bet is at 341 and more.

So make your predictions

under or over 340.5 ?

I say over,

He has had to wipe his eyes a couple of times.

It only makes some of the comments made here last week all the more disgusting.

here is the over / under line is again

perhaps we should take over and under bets, like with football scores.

538.com puts it at 340.5

under bet is at 340 and less

over bet is at 341 and more.

So make your predictions

under or over 340.5 ?

I say over,

Maybe you should have a separate thread or poll :shifty:

And yet no apologies are coming along, are they?

God-fearing voters :hug:

Those people are as close to the ideals of Jesus Christ as my looks are as close to those of Johnny Depp (no being banged like a screen door in a hurricane in my short term future...)

California GOP today filed a complaint against Obama and his campaign - talk about the worst timing ever.

Obama for America violated federal law by converting its campaign funds to Senator Obama's personal use. Senator Obama recently traveled to Hawaii to visit his sick grandmother...Therefore, the Obama Campaign violated the FEC's ban on "personal use" of campaign funds when it paid over $100,000 for the Campaign's charter to fly to Hawaii without obtaining reimbursement from Senator Obama.

I mean, honestly. :|

New polls showing McCain slightly ahead in NC, FL, OH.

Too early to panic yet, but i won't believe it until it happens......

You know the Mormon and Catholic churches are spending way too much money on their bigot-fest when they're buying up so many ads on even THIS website......

Oh, man. Please please please please please please please let this all end well.

And by 'well' I mean Obama wins by wide enough a margin that there isn't another 2000.

I'm feeling anxious.

:up: That's my biggest fear--that we get a deja vu of 2000. The numbers are frightenly close in some of the key areas.

It's so sad that Obama's grandmother won't be able to watch it all unfold.

New polls showing McCain slightly ahead in NC, FL, OH.

Too early to panic yet, but i won't believe it until it happens......

You know the Mormon and Catholic churches are spending way too much money on their bigot-fest when they're buying up so many ads on even THIS website......

which polls?

I don't believe this will happen.

Can Obama win popular vote but lose election?

WASHINGTON – It's a nightmare scenario for Democrats — their nominee Barack Obama winning the popular vote while Republican John McCain ekes out an Electoral College victory. Sure, McCain trails in every recent national poll. Sure, surveys show that Obama leads in the race to reach the requisite 270 electoral votes to win the presidency.

Sure, chances of Republicans retaining the White House are remote.

But some last-minute state polls show the GOP nominee closing the gap in key states — Republican turf of Virginia, Florida and Ohio among them, and Democratic-leaning Pennsylvania, too.

If the tightening polls are correct and undecided voters in those states break McCain's way — both big ifs — that could make for a repeat of the 2000 heartbreaker for Democrats that gave Republicans the White House.

In 2000, Democrat Al Gore narrowly won the popular vote by 537,179 votes. But George W. Bush won the state-by-state electoral balloting that determines the presidency, 271 to 266. The outcome wasn't clear until a 36-day recount awarded Florida, then worth 25 electoral votes, to Bush by just a 537-vote margin.

Before the 2000 election, political insiders had speculated just the opposite, that perhaps Bush would win the popular vote but lose the presidency to Gore.

One day before the 2008 election, Obama sat atop every national poll.

Enthusiastic by all measures, the Illinois senator's Democratic base was expected to run up the score in liberal bastions of party strongholds such as New York and California.

But the race appeared to be naturally tightening in top battlegrounds that each candidate likely will need to help them reach the magic number in the Electoral College, electoral-rich Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia among them.

To win, McCain must hold on to most states that went to Bush in 2004, or pick up one or more that went to Democrat John Kerry four years ago to make up for any losses. McCain's biggest target for a pickup is Pennsylvania, which offers 21 votes and where several public polls show Obama's lead shrinking from double digits to single digits.

McCain faces a steep hurdle. Obama leads or is tied in a dozen or so Bush-won states, and has the advantage in most Kerry-won states.

The Republican's campaign argues that as national surveys tighten, McCain's standing in key states also rises and that, combined with get-out-the-vote efforts, will lift McCain to victory in Bush states and, perhaps, others.

"What we're in for is a slam-bang finish. ... He's been counted out before and won these kinds of states, and we're in the process of winning them right now," Rick Davis, McCain's campaign manager, said Sunday.

Obama's team is awash in confidence.

"We think we have a decisive edge right now" in states Bush won four years ago, said David Plouffe, Obama's campaign manager.

There's still another possibility, perhaps more improbable than the first — that McCain wins the popular vote while Obama clinches the White House.

True, Democrats have been fired up all year.

But, why the f*ck do we even have the Electoral College????

It is the stupidest concept in any election process.

Rasmussen for NC and OH (really a tie in OH), haven't seen that FL result myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom