2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I've never had any trouble at the voting booths myself, I find it absolutely appalling that there's STILL problems going on in spite of the 2000 election. Eight years to fix the system, and nothing has been fixed.....
If they can figure out how to do it on "American Idol" why can't they do it on American president???/

Republican, Democrat, or Independent, this is totally unacceptable. I'd rather have my candidate lose in a fair, honest, and complications-free election than to have them win under any dubious circumstances.
I wonder if everyone would say the same.....

Just saying I voted? No need of showing identity? :hmm:
I'm not a great fan of Starbucks, but free coffee is always welcome. :)

I heard they have 2 Starbucks in Montana

so you can get a free coffee, too.

You don't even have to have voted
but perhaps with the help of Obama and ACORN you will have. :wink:

ACORN can only register you for the coffee...........

I just saw a piece on CNN regarding calls made to their voting problems hotline, and several of the calls they just highlighted focused on senior citizens who had waited in line to vote for several hours, found they still had several more hours to go, so they finally left because they are not physically capable of standing for several hours. They did say that a few polling stations seem to have made provisions for people in this position, but that many don't.
I think part of the problem there is the hugely unprecedented early voting turnout this year (far fewer polling stations are open for early voting), which caught many states by surprise. I've worked the polls locally before, and we've always kept a (limited) amount of chairs and drinking water available for elderly and/or infirm voters. We're taking a couple elderly neighbors of ours to vote on Tuesday morning, and I sure hope the crowds won't be that bad, as they both walk with canes and neither has a wheelchair.

I don't know that I've ever seen turnout like this before, but I do know that a friend of mine who has worked the polls on election day in Canada several times over said that there is a policy in place to always move the obviously elderly and disabled to the front of the line - this included anyone who would appear to require chairs to begin with.

I think part of the problem there is the hugely unprecedented early voting turnout this year (far fewer polling stations are open for early voting), which caught many states by surprise. I've worked the polls locally before, and we've always kept a (limited) amount of chairs and drinking water available for elderly and/or infirm voters. We're taking a couple elderly neighbors of ours to vote on Tuesday morning, and I sure hope the crowds won't be that bad, as they both walk with canes and neither has a wheelchair.

Oh, so this is an unusual situation then, and it hopefully will not be repeated on the 4th due to larger numbers of polling stations being open, which in turn will have fewer voters to accommodate, since many have voted early. I'm glad to hear that.

I don't know that I've ever seen turnout like this before, but I do know that a friend of mine who has worked the polls on election day in Canada several times over said that there is a policy in place to always move the obviously elderly and disabled to the front of the line - this included anyone who would appear to require chairs to begin with.

Exactly. Which is why I was wondering why it wasn't being done in a lot of cases in the US, from what is being reported. It's blatant discrimination.

There are some states that allow elderly and disabled voters to move to the front of the line if they request it, but this is not universal. About all that's guaranteed nationwide is wheelchair-accessible polling places and assistance with voting for the blind and those unable to read English.

I'm taking a fold up chair just in case. I've had a problem with my leg going numb since my knee surgery - if I stand in one place for more than an hour or so. If they move me up then that would be good, but I'm going prepared.

Just saw a McCain speech in New Hampshire where he brought up Bono and the ONE Campaign. Props to the gentleman and his excellent representation of ONE. . John McCain gave him 30 seconds to tell a little about what has and is being done.
:up:

Just saw a McCain speech in New Hampshire where he brought up Bono and the ONE Campaign. Props to the gentleman and his excellent representation of ONE. . John McCain gave him 30 seconds to tell a little about what has and is being done.

That is really awesome!! :up:

Even Missoula has more than two. :)
If Obama and ACORN helped me, so did McCain and ACORN. ;)

True, but Kerry conceded the election sometime a few hours after the polls closed; by morning we knew Bush won.

Oh, so this is an unusual situation then, and it hopefully will not be repeated on the 4th due to larger numbers of polling stations being open, which in turn will have fewer voters to accommodate, since many have voted early. I'm glad to hear that.

Exactly. Which is why I was wondering why it wasn't being done in a lot of cases in the US, from what is being reported. It's blatant discrimination.

there have been cases of the more Republican Districts getting more voting euipment, leaving the more Democratic Districts with less machines, and hence LONGER Lines........

........which since the working poor or working class - often ofr some it's harder to get time off so- usually can't be standing on line for 4 - 6 hours (that's been documented) without possible losing thier jobs--
while just over the into the Republican District they only have to wait 15 mins maybe an hour because they have (deliberately) more machines! :scream: :mad:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been feeling rather pessimistic about the outcome of this election. I just feel like McCain may pull this off after all.

I think there is a kind of cynicism that many of us African Americans have. I was just talking to a buddy of mine here in Saipan and he voiced the same skepticism. We just can't really believe that America will actually elect a black president. I just hope everybody here supporting Obama goes out and votes. I have feeling we're going to need every last vote.

My own best friend is likely going to vote McCain--he's a bit more conservative on several issues than I am and though he says he really likes Obama a lot, he doesn't want a Democratic congress and Democratic president as he's worried the more extreme elements of the party will be able to act with impunity.

Just feeling very gloom and doom right now. I just want this to be over. :( :( :(

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been feeling rather pessimistic about the outcome of this election. I just feel like McCain may pull this off after all.

I think there is a kind of cynicism that many of us African Americans have. I was just talking to a buddy of mine here in Saipan and he voiced the same skepticism. We just can't really believe that America will actually elect a black president. I just hope everybody here supporting Obama goes out and votes. I have feeling we're going to need every last vote.

My own best friend is likely going to vote McCain--he's a bit more conservative on several issues than I am and though he says he really likes Obama a lot, he doesn't want a Democratic congress and Democratic president as he's worried the more extreme elements of the party will be able to act with impunity.

Just feeling very gloom and doom right now. I just want this to be over. :( :( :(

trust me, we all want this to be over. I have these very waves of pessimism daily that when people actually get to the voting booth that they won't be able to do the right thing and then vote the other way. I feel like people when it comes down to voting they won't have the guts to do it that their fear/racism will take over. I think we are ready for a african-american president, a true leader but is America really ready? I sure hope so. I do have waves of optimism though and then feel overjoyed by the prospect of having Obama as President and what a day that would be if he were to win. I am going out there and voting tomorrow and I hope everyone who can vote will.

The last 8 years have been among the worst in modern times.....we all definitely deserve better, not only in this country, but around the world.

I'll tell you one thing: republicans are really, really angry right now. They seem to know McCain is going to lose and cannot reconcile that. It's incredible.

What else does he have to do on a Saturday night?

Maybe he thought it would help him with younger voters, but what is the average age of an SNL viewer?

He probably thinks it's hip and cool

What else does he have to do on a Saturday night?

Maybe he thought it would help him with younger voters, but what is the average age of an SNL viewer?

He probably thinks it's hip and cool

he should be campaigning on a saturday night.

i think he was trying to rehabilitate his image and remind people of the guy everyone used to like.

he should be campaigning on a saturday night.

i think he was trying to rehabilitate his image and remind people of the guy everyone used to like.

I was just kidding :) I think he should be campaigning too. But if he was trying to rehab his image isn't it a bit too late to do it the Sat before the election at 11:30 ET? That's a really lame way to do that as well-unless you think that people are that gullible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom