2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if you (the general you) could be as polite as possible when on the phone, because it's probably just someone like me just doing their job or volunteering on the other side, and it's never fun to get rude people when all I've said is "Hello" :D.........

I am actually usually polite to people who are doing sales calls etc, particularly b/c years ago 2 people in my fam could not get any other type of job at that point in their lives.
So thye've been there, not really liking the work, knowing they were bothering some people excessively, or those who mostly really couldn't afford to pay for they stuff they were selling.... and got out of doing that ASAP!

I did some calling once, way before the do not call list. It takes a special kind of nerve to do that (I mean that in a good way). I mustered up the nerve one election cycle, working for a Republican, of all people. She was a pro-choice Republican trying to beat that asshole Bob Dornan in the primary. She actually took 40% of the vote! I spoke to at least two women on the phone who were registered voters who told me that their husbands told them how to vote. I do not lie. That was the election that generated the legendary soundbite about "lesbian spearchuckers." I've always been proud to be a "lesbian spearchucker." That's what B-1 Bob called the supporters of his pro-choice opponent, and I still wear that badge with pride.

OMG!..... martha!!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I was just thinking about B-1 Bob last night!!!

I was watching PBS's "Nixon" political biography last night, and I remembered talking ("jousting" ) with tB-1 the night after Nixon died on right-wing talk radio! He finally got me, when he sited some person or event i was not familiar with :grumpy: so I couldn't come back with a rejoinder or zinger.

Way to go John

Huffington Post

John McCain's campaign manager says he is reconsidering using Barack Obama's relationship with Reverend Jeremiah Wright as a campaign issue during the election's closing weeks.

In an appearance on conservative Hugh Hewitt's radio program, Davis said that circumstances had changed since John McCain initially and unilaterally took Obama's former pastor off the table. The Arizona Republican, Davis argued, had been jilted by the remarks of Rep. John Lewis, who compared recent GOP crowds to segregationist George Wallace's rallies. And, as such, the campaign was going to "rethink" what was in and out of political bounds.

"Look, John McCain has told us a long time ago before this campaign ever got started, back in May, I think, that from his perspective, he was not going to have his campaign actively involved in using Jeremiah Wright as a wedge in this campaign," he said late last week. "Now since then, I must say, when Congressman Lewis calls John McCain and Sarah Palin and his entire group of supporters, fifty million people strong around this country, that we're all racists and we should be compared to George Wallace and the kind of horrible segregation and evil and horrible politics that was played at that time, you know, that you've got to rethink all these things. And so I think we're in the process of looking at how we're going to close this campaign. We've got 19 days, and we're taking serious all these issues."

McCain has reportedly avoided discussion of Wright because of its racial implications. Apparently, since he already stands accused of stoking crowd anger akin to the South in the 1960s, his campaign just might be willing to walk down that slippery slope and risk justifying Lewis' proclamation.

Even before Davis took to the Hugh Hewitt Show, it was clear that members of McCain's inner circle were pining for him to use some of Wright's more inflammatory quotes to hammer away at Obama. Vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin told New York Times columnist Bill Kristol that she didn't know "why that association isn't discussed more, because those were appalling things that that pastor had said."

Certainly there are Democrats operatives who have long anticipated the Wright card being played and are shocked, to a certain extent, that McCain has avoided the topic. One high-ranking strategist told the Huffington Post that he thought the Republican ticket could have gained far more traction by going after Obama's pastor "as opposed to some neighborhood association" -- referencing former Weather Underground member Bill Ayers. McCain, he added, didn't have to even do it himself. He could pass the task over to a 527 organization or outside group. But with the money woes facing the Republican Party, the fundraising and infrastructure for such an effort has not been built. The decision to bring up Wright is left firmly in McCain's hands.

I was wondering why the "terror level" hadn't been raised to some other color of the fear rainbow. Usually that's how the Republicans get votes. But apparently, they're going for a different sort of fear color?

fear rainbow??

:lmao::lmao:

WHat a great nickname for that....never heard it described that way before!

maybe b/c it really hasn't been used in a long time in a big way---it would look TOO obvious?

tho as you say, it may be a "different fear color" they're planting this time! :madwife:

More Breaking News ...

:reject:
I'm sorry -this just ran by me sooo fast on the radio.........

something about announcing the Obama Campaign lawyer's taking some action related to possible Voter Suppression, FBI? etc AND some /pasttern relationship to the kind of Justice Dept messing with the Asst Attorneys' Generals being fired a few years back.

Rachael Maddow's show

michael-powell.jpg

Voting for McCain.

<>

is the McCain campaign conceeding New Mexico, Iowa, and Colorado!?!?

The Page - by Mark Halperin - TIME

yet they think they can win PA?

very interesting. seems like they are giving up on young people, and targeting old people (with OH, PA, and FL having old populations).

this likely means more racism and the resurrection of Rev. Wright.

Oh no. CNN just reported that Obama's cancelling events and heading to Hawaii - his grandmother is seriously ill. :(

Eta - he's cancelling events for Thursday and Friday, and will resume the campaign some time over the weekend. Michelle will be filling in for him at some events.

Why does Juan Williams, a NPR Democrat and Af. American say that Powell's endorsement is all about race?

<>

I just read an article that said McCain is going to start bringing up the Rev. Wright stuff again, after he said it would not happen.

I guess desperate men will do desperate things.:down:

Ralph Nader's been gathering a ton of attention lately and has been polling at over 5% in a few states. Some of the national polls you see actually count three of the minor party candidates (presumably Nader, Barr & McKinney) although they rarely report the percents for those three. Nader's definitely been netting a lot of ink lately and is on the NBC news special tonight. Would be sweet to have him get 1 Million votes while Obama slaughters McCain. :applaud:

So Juan and Rush agree then.

<>

I can't say that because I can't find anything that that supports your argument that he, Juan Williams, said that.
I even watched some of Fox news round table yesterday morning, but I didn't see that part, if it was then. I was watching Meet The Press also..
soo please enlighten me..
was this on TV or radio or print :shrug:

^ It was on FOX News. Williams certainly didn't say "it's all about race"--he agreed that, from his POV, race was obviously an important factor in this endorsement because Powell is "the original crossover star," a senior black figure in US politics who at the same time "hasn't always had a very close relationship with the black community in terms of his legacy," and here we see him reaching out--and left--to the new most visible African-American politician, while at the same time underlining how he (Powell) feels the GOP has moved too far to the right. (Williams made almost the same remarks on NPR as well, in more detail and without the reporter leading him.) Rush's tack was, needless to say, quite different.

Williams on FOX

Limbaugh on Powell endorsement (Rush Limbaugh Show)

Williams on NPR

Why does Juan Williams, a NPR Democrat and Af. American say that Powell's endorsement is all about race?

<>

I'm not sure why you're pushing this. We already know from multiple videos, interviews and articles that many of McCain's supporters are backing him simply because of race. We also know that many conservatives are backing McCain/palin simply because of fundamentalist religion. And we know that a huge factor in the selection of palin was her sex. Not sure why it's suddenly important to claim that the other guy has a backer because of a "card," too.

Except to try and diminish the importance of the fact that the nation's only near-universally respected military leader is backing the other guy.

So when Lieberman endorsed McCain was that because of race? Two white old men...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom