2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice try STING. I'll remember that the next time you go preaching about not talking about other posters here.

Off to the ignore list you go. Have a nice life.

Maybe its not an accident that there are only 10 or so people truely on the other side of the political fence in here.

It's a U2 forum? It's not just FYM. If you put the Election Poll out there in every sub-forum from Lemonade Stand to PLEBA and everything in between, I think it was balance a little more, but not much more. Obama would still dominate.

It's a U2 forum? It's not just FYM. If you put the Election Poll out there in every sub-forum from Lemonade Stand to PLEBA and everything in between, I think it was balance a little more, but not much more. Obama would still dominate.

The majority of U2 fans I know are Republicans and I only know of two that are even considering voting for Obama this fall. Although it may not be reflected in this forum, U2 has hundreds of thousands of Republican fans in the United States as well as those that are independent of either political party.

Considering we're on a board for a band that espouses generally liberal beliefs itself, yes, maybe it's not an accident.

Is Christian faith considered more of a general conservative belief or a liberal belief? What about free trade, capitalism, multi-national corporations, big business, military intervention? All things that U2 has either supported or are deeply involved in that are not normally associated with liberal beliefs or ideals.

The majority of U2 fans I know are Republicans and I only know of two that are even considering voting for Obama this fall. Although it may not be reflected in this forum, U2 has hundreds of thousands of Republican fans in the United States as well as those that are independent of either political party.

Probably because the majority of people you know and hang out with are Republicans.

Besides, even you wouldn't deny the reality that the membership of this forum is overwhelmingly liberal in political leanings.

Is Christian faith considered more of a general conservative belief or a liberal belief? What about free trade, capitalism, multi-national corporations, big business, military intervention? All things that U2 has either supported or are deeply involved in that are not normally associated with liberal beliefs or ideals.

What an utterly simplistic and misleading statement. There's a big difference between U2 the corporation and the personal beliefs of the members of U2.

What an utterly simplistic and misleading statement. There's a big difference between U2 the corporation and the personal beliefs of the members of U2.

U2 is the corporation and their personal beliefs on all kinds of things are wrapped up with that.

If you are seriously trying to make the argument that Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam hold a more conservative world view than a liberal one, then I've got nothing else to say to you on this one.

IWhat about free trade, capitalism, multi-national corporations, big business, military intervention? All things that U2 has either supported or are deeply involved in that are not normally associated with liberal beliefs or ideals.

Have you actually read U2 at the End of the World?

Or any of Bono's interviews in the last, oh, say 20 years??

The point is that there are just as many things Republicans can identify with when it comes to the band, as Democrats can.

And before you get too much into your victim role as the poor persecuted conservative

Even you wouldn't deny the reality that the membership of this forum is overwhelmingly liberal in political leanings.

If you are seriously trying to make the argument that Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam hold a more conservative world view than a liberal one, then I've got nothing else to say to you on this one.

I don't think anyone really knows for sure. No one here has access to their voting records and all their private, personal, political thoughts. But their certainly not as liberal as many other artist out there and you can't deny that many Republicans identify with U2's Christianity, and big business in a way that some Democrats would not.

If it could be tracked, I think you would find equal numbers of Republicans, Independents, and Democrats at U2 concerts or buying the albums in the United States.

Have you actually read U2 at the End of the World?

Or any of Bono's interviews in the last, oh, say 20 years??

Sure have, and there are several qoutes in At the End of the world that completely contradict the notion that U2 are pacifist which some people in here had troubling handling when it was pointed out to them.

Sure have, and there are several qoutes in At the End of the world that completely contradict the notion that U2 are pacifist which some people in here had troubling handling when it was pointed out to them.

1)Being a pacifist is not a prerequisite to holding a generally liberal world view. Nor is it necessarily indicative of conservative world view.

2)So you found several quotes. And then there's the bulk of their interviews where it is clear that their world view is mostly liberal.

The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.

Nor did I ever claim it was. However, when you say this:

Maybe its not an accident that there are only 10 or so people truely on the other side of the political fence in here.

Then I think pointing out the makeup of this forum is more than appropriate.

The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.

And left/right, particularly in the way it pertains to Christianity and how it mixes with politics, is certainly not the same globally as it is in the United States.

Sting, you conveniently overlook the fact that 1/4 of U2 - Adam - is not religious at all. And you overlook the fact that U2's brand of religion is a much more open-minded, inclusive, and non-judgemental than much of the American brand of Christianity. They've never passed judgement on anyone. They spent an entire decade of their existence putting out music that questioned faith rather than celebrated it. Their brand of Christianity is hardly the same as the American right-wing brand.

Furthermore, you overlook the fact that when Bono was meeting with Bush those few times between 2002 and 2005, that it was reported that it made his bandmates, Edge in particular, very uncomfortable because he(Edge) HATED Bush.

that said whether a head of state democrat or republican, if a threat is made againgst him -it is a federal offense.

i found it humorus how some act like when/if a person is threatening pres. bush with it was big of them to tell them that they wouldn't stand for it, when in fact it's a federal offense.
Actually, the law you're citing (18USC789) also applies to the VP, to Presidents-elect and VPs-elect, to "major candidates" for either office, and to immediate family members of all the above. It requires a credible threat of bodily harm, though, which Diemen's example certainly wouldn't constitute, and as far as it goes I very much doubt shouting "Kill him" at a rally would, either.

But that's beside the point; the reason such non-credible "threats" would be addressed in here is that it's plain old fucking pathetic idiocy to suggest that assassinating our politicians is a reasonable way to solve problems.

Wow, I leave for one evening of Cardinology and this thread has taken one of the most cringe worthy turns I've seen in a long while...:applaud:

I agree, it's an absurd tangent.

Sting brought it up. It's a topic that is irrelevant to this thread, but it's so easy to remind him of what he's overlooking when he starts trying to convince us that U2 are conservative. I don't think I said anything that isn't true.

Anyway.

I was referring to both tangents of the last few pages actually, including the one I just replied to.

As you say, anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom