2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I'd like to see this evidence that we all just sit here and do nothing when someone is clearly out of line. I can think of a few instances where I and others have spoken up when a poster went over the top in their "critique" of the Bush administration.

Besides, I think the environment, reach and overall raison d'etre (ooh, damn my elitist ways!) of this small little corner of the internet are considerably different than a public and internationally televised rally held by a candidate seeking the highest office in the land. So I don't think your distraction comparison holds much weight.

Example: Whenever the occasional nut comes on and posts that 9/11 was a conspiracy orchestrated by President/Terrorist Bush, both the left and the right on FYM overwhelmingly argue against that person.

I am a conservative poster who thinks that Bush does indeed belong in the Hague.

Probably, however, this does not fit Strongbow's simplistic, manicheaist view of the world.

No, but I'd like to see this evidence that we all just sit here and do nothing when someone is clearly out of line. I can think of a few instances where I and others have spoken up when a poster went over the top in their "critique" of the Bush administration.

Besides, I think the environment, reach and overall raison d'etre (ooh, damn my elitist ways!) of this small little corner of the internet are considerably different than a public and internationally televised rally held by a candidate seeking the highest office in the land. So I don't think your distraction comparison holds much weight.

Actually in contrast to a rally, it can be much easier for people to say something that is thoughtful, objective, and not so heavily impacted by emotion.

I would say any point in the past where someone has stated something out of line about Bush and no one responded. There have been threads where literally every post was someone bashing the President without a single person taking the opposite side. Its much easier to notice these things when you come from the opposite side of the political fence.

I would say any point in the past where someone has stated something out of line about Bush and no one responded. There have been threads where literally every post was someone bashing the President without a single person taking the opposite side. Its much easier to notice these things when you come from the opposite side of the political fence.

I can guarantee you that if someone came in here yelling "Kill President Bush! Off with his head! He's a terrorist!" and little else, you'd find nearly everyone here speaking up against it. And that person would either be severely reprimanded or tossed out if that's all s/he had to offer.

So I still believe your comparison isn't that apt. And there is a vast difference between someone bashing the president here (which is not always out of line, mind you) with little opposition and people yelling out "Off with his head!" or "Kill 'em!" or "Terrorist!" and the potential next President of the United States not saying a damn thing against it.

You can try and equivocate these things all you want, but they're not the same.

I can guarantee you that if someone came in here yelling "Kill President Bush! Off with his head! He's a terrorist!" and little else, you'd find nearly everyone here speaking up against it..

as they should, after all pres bush is a head of state.

if obama becomes a head of state, legally his status changes.

<>

Do you realize what you're implying here?

Sure you don't want to rephrase anything?

do i really need to explain it ?

i don't condone violence, or threats of violence against any public official-elected or not.

that said whether a head of state democrat or republican, if a threat is made againgst him -it is a federal offense.

i found it humorus how some act like when/if a person is threatening pres. bush with it was big of them to tell them that they wouldn't stand for it, when in fact it's a federal offense.

that should clarify matters.

:)

<>

I can guarantee you that if someone came in here yelling He's a terrorist!" and little else, you'd find nearly everyone here speaking up against it. And that person would either be severely reprimanded or tossed out if that's all s/he had to offer.

Well, someone on this page just mentioned that Bush belongs in court in the Hague, a place where war criminals guilty of genocide from the Bosnian war have been sent, yet, neither you nor anyone else has said anything at all.

Lots of people have gone to the Hague.

And very few of them were charged with genocide.

So nice try, but I don't think financeguy is a lunatic for making the statement that he did.

Lots of people have gone to the Hague.

And very few of them were charged with genocide.

So nice try, but I don't think financeguy is a lunatic for making the statement that he did.

The point is that no one even question the idea. Do you really believe Bush should be locked up in the Hague for the rest of his life, because it appears that is why financeguy is suggesting?

I have absolutely no way of concluding what you just did based on the fact he said that Bush "belongs in the Hague."

Maybe he just wants an open trial, who knows. I'm not going to put words in his mouth.

I have absolutely no way of concluding what you just did based on the fact he said that Bush "belongs in the Hague."

Maybe he just wants an open trial, who knows. I'm not going to put words in his mouth.

The phrase, "belongs in the Hague" has most often been used in the media when refering to war criminals guilty of genocide or gross human rights violations.

Oh.My.God.

:|

Just google the phrase, Milsovic pops up on the first page. No, technically it does not mean they belong in prison for the rest of their life there, but its most often used to refer to people that do.

Oh, so because you can google something it means that it is exactly what the poster in here meant?

What was I saying earlier about compelling debate?

Oh, so because you can google something it means that it is exactly what the poster in here meant?

What was I saying earlier about compelling debate?

Did I actually say that? No, If you read what I said, the phrase "He belongs in the Hague" is a possible indicator that the person thinks they need to be locked up.

Even if he means he thinks Bush should be locked up, given some of the questionable practices of the Bush administration, that in and of itself is still not on the same level as "kill 'em!" and "off with his head!" and you know it.

Even if he means he thinks Bush should be locked up, given some of the questionable practices of the Bush administration, that in and of itself is still not on the same level as "kill 'em!" and "off with his head!" and you know it.

Again thats not the point. No one even for a second questioned his statement on any level. No one would ever get away with saying something similar about Obama.

What has Obama done that could POSSIBLY be Hague worthy?

This is the dumbest thread detour yet and that's saying something. Christ on a bicycle!

Do you really believe Bush should be locked up in the Hague for the rest of his life, because it appears that is why financeguy is suggesting?

Nah. I'd much rather he spend the rest of his life in San Quentin so he could become good friends with some guy named Tiny. :lol:

Don't worry, I feel at least 10 IQ points dumber for having made that mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom