2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama doesn't have a drop of Arab blood in him. It's so stupid. I was infuriated when I saw that clip yesterday.

Does it imply that any Muslim can't be trusted? Does this mean anyone who is Muslim is automatically an Arab?

:|

I might have actually respected McCain if he had said something like, "Obama's not an Arab or a Muslim, but even if he were that would be no reason to be afraid of him or not to trust him."

The level of mainstream bigotry towards Muslims in this country is really shocking. I've got relatives who, sadly enough, think just like those people at the McCain/Palin rallies and town meetings.

Yep. Instead he comes up with a reply of "No, he's a decent man." WTF?

Are Arabs or Muslims incapable of being decent then?

McCain tussles with Palin over whipping up a mob mentality - Times Online
WITH his electoral prospects fading by the day, Senator John McCain has fallen out with his vice-presidential running mate about the direction of his White House campaign.

McCain has become alarmed about the fury unleashed by Sarah Palin, the moose-hunting “pitbull in lipstick”, against Senator Barack Obama. Cries of “terrorist” and “kill him” have accompanied the tirades by the governor of Alaska against the Democratic nominee at Republican rallies.

Mark Salter, McCain’s long-serving chief of staff, is understood to have told campaign insiders that he would prefer his boss, a former Vietnam prisoner of war, to suffer an “honourable defeat” rather than conduct a campaign that would be out of character – and likely to lose him the election.

Palin, 44, has led the character attacks on Obama in the belief that McCain may be throwing away the election and her chance of becoming vice-president. Her supporters think that if the Republican ticket loses on November 4, she should run for president in 2012.

I'm surprised it's a weekday. Ours are always Saturdays.

I think here that could well result in even lower turnout. I mean, really, who wants to take the time out of a Saturday to vote when you can go do interesting and important stuff. You know, like see movies or baseball or football games or shop or other such stuff. ;)

Plus I've always thought any excuse for a public holiday is a good thing. :D

And then there's this:

The Return of Rove

John McCain has surrendered his campaign to the same political fearmonger who smeared him out of the race in 2000

MATT TAIBBI Posted Oct 16, 2008 7:15 AM

The Return of Rove : Rolling Stone

The first whiff of this kind of tactic in the current race came at the end of June, when the McCain campaign launched its new slogan "Country First," making McCain the first presidential candidate in history to make "My Opponent Is a Traitor" his rallying cry. Then there was the unveiling of a new ad comparing Obama to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. Following that came a coordinated campaign to ridicule Obama for the somewhat bombastic décor of the stage for his convention speech, with the campaign issuing leaflets mocking the vertical columns as a "Temple of Obama."

Somehow this doesn't surprise me, at all. :|

Except this time it's not gonna work; Obama is up by 10 points as of today.

The more hate and fear they try, the more Obama's place is solid.

Solid.

The Class War Before Palin

By DAVID BROOKS
New Yok Times, October 9

Modern conservatism began as a movement of dissident intellectuals. Richard Weaver wrote a book called Ideas Have Consequences. Russell Kirk placed Edmund Burke in an American context. William F. Buckley famously said he’d rather be governed by the first 2000 names in the Boston phone book than by the faculty of Harvard. But he didn’t believe those were the only two options. His entire life was a celebration of urbane values, sophistication and the rigorous and constant application of intellect. Driven by a need to engage elite opinion, conservatives tried to build an intellectual counterestablishment with think tanks and magazines. They disdained the ideas of the liberal professoriate, but they did not disdain the idea of a cultivated mind.

Ronald Reagan was no intellectual, but he had an earnest faith in ideas and he spent decades working through them. He was rooted in the Midwest, but he also loved Hollywood. And for a time, it seemed the Republican Party would be a broad coalition—small-town values with coastal reach. In 1976, in a close election, Gerald Ford won the entire West Coast along with northeastern states like New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont and Maine. In 1984, Reagan won every state but Minnesota.

But over the past few decades, the Republican Party has driven away people who live in cities, in highly educated regions and on the coasts. This expulsion has had many causes. But the big one is this: Republican political tacticians decided to mobilize their coalition with a form of social class warfare. Democrats kept nominating coastal pointy-heads like Michael Dukakis so Republicans attacked coastal pointy-heads. Over the past 15 years, the same argument has been heard from a thousand politicians and a hundred television and talk-radio jocks. The nation is divided between the wholesome Joe Sixpacks in the heartland and the oversophisticated, overeducated, oversecularized denizens of the coasts.

What had been a disdain for liberal intellectuals slipped into a disdain for the educated class as a whole. The liberals had coastal condescension, so the conservatives developed their own anti-elitism, with mirror-image categories and mirror-image resentments, but with the same corrosive effect. Republicans developed their own leadership style. If Democratic leaders prized deliberation and self-examination, then Republicans would govern from the gut.

George W. Bush restrained some of the populist excesses of his party—the anti-immigration fervor, the isolationism — but stylistically he fit right in. As Fred Barnes wrote in his book, Rebel-in-Chief, Bush “reflects the political views and cultural tastes of the vast majority of Americans who don’t live along the East or West Coast. He’s not a sophisticate and doesn’t spend his discretionary time with sophisticates. As First Lady Laura Bush once said, she and the president didn’t come to Washington to make new friends. And they haven’t.”

The political effects of this trend have been obvious. Republicans have alienated the highly educated regions—Silicon Valley, northern Virginia, the suburbs outside of New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Raleigh-Durham. The West Coast and the Northeast are mostly gone. The Republicans have alienated whole professions. Lawyers now donate to the Democratic Party over the Republican Party at 4-to-1 rates. With doctors, it’s 2-to-1. With tech executives, it’s 5-to-1. With investment bankers, it’s 2-to-1. It took talent for Republicans to lose the banking community.

Conservatives are as rare in elite universities and the mainstream media as they were 30 years ago. The smartest young Americans are now educated in an overwhelmingly liberal environment.

This year could have changed things. The G.O.P. had three urbane presidential candidates. But the class-warfare clichés took control. Rudy Giuliani disdained cosmopolitans at the Republican convention. Mitt Romney gave a speech attacking “eastern elites.” (Mitt Romney!) John McCain picked Sarah Palin.

Palin is smart, politically skilled, courageous and likable. Her convention and debate performances were impressive. But no American politician plays the class-warfare card as constantly as Palin. Nobody so relentlessly divides the world between the “normal Joe Sixpack American” and the coastal elite. She is another step in the Republican change of personality. Once conservatives admired Churchill and Lincoln above all—men from wildly different backgrounds who prepared for leadership through constant reading, historical understanding and sophisticated thinking. Now those attributes bow down before the common touch.

And so, politically, the G.O.P. is squeezed at both ends. The party is losing the working class by sins of omission—because it has not developed policies to address economic anxiety. It has lost the educated class by sins of commission—by telling members of that class to go away.

I've lived through a lifetime of what can happen next. A President shot and killed. A Presidential candidate shot and killed. (The Kennedys)
The leader of equal rights movenment - shot and killed (Martin Luther King, Jr.) Presidents Reagan & Ford were shot at. Even George Wallace was shot at and lived. And so many other's lives that have been destroyed fighting for the rights of all American's.

This is what someone will do next if McCain and Palin don't stop what they are doing. What McCain is doing now by saying "Obama is no one to fear" is too little too late. He and Palin have lit the fuse, cocked the gun and it's just a matter of time too see if anyone can get a shot off or blow them away.
They (McCain/Palin) need to be begging for forgiveness. It will be on their heads if something happens to Obama or his family.

you & moi both....... :(
*sits down on the stoop next to sue4u* :hug:

keep the white light around Barack & Joe and their families & staff.........

Solid.

Well I do have some quiet confidence that Obama will win. But I'll be praying just the same.

The most important thing is to totally turn out a ginormous amout of voters for Barack.
THAT might be the one sure way to win over Rovian tactics. I say this because they say in the 2006 election more democrats in the House & Senate actually won than did win, b/c election fraud took some of their wins away.
So the enormous turnout last time in 06 was able to overrun a fair amount of voter repression/dirty tricks etc by the Neo-con/Republicans.

There's a whole bunch of groups currently trying to help voters see if they have been illegally taken off the rolls already.

What had been a disdain for liberal intellectuals slipped into a disdain for the educated class as a whole.

It has lost the educated class by sins of commission—by telling members of that class to go away.

I have quoted bits of this article myself a couple of days ago. It is bang on. People who are educated, intellectuals, and heaven forbid went to the top schools are not welcome in the Republican party. Anti-intellectualism runs rabid, and Barack Obama was right this summer when he said that these people actually take pride in being ignorant. It is particularly appalling to me, maybe as an immigrant kid, because my parents always told us education was everything and it was the only chance at an equalizer that we had. They sacrificed everything to push us forward and we excelled. I came from means that were not even modest, so I don't understand why anybody in the same situation would not take pride in excelling and bettering themselves or their children. Instead, they look scornfully on the rest of us. What happened to the American dream, one has to wonder. Isn't Obama the perfect example of it?

Solid.

Well, I'm not so sure. Take a look at Gallups results the past 4 days including today:

10/09/2008 - Obama by 11 points.
10/10/2008 - Obama by 10 points.
10/11/2008 - Obama by 9 points.
10/12/2008 - Obama by 7 points.

I have quoted bits of this article myself a couple of days ago. It is bang on. People who are educated, intellectuals, and heaven forbid went to the top schools are not welcome in the Republican party. Anti-intellectualism runs rabid, and Barack Obama was right this summer when he said that these people actually take pride in being ignorant.

Sorry, but this is just total horse dung. George Bush and General Petraeus both have graduate degrees from the top schools in the country. The vast majority of the military's field grade officers have graduate degrees and they are more heavily Republican than nearly any other group in the country.

In fact, a gallup poll recently in the summer showed that among all people, John McCain led with people who had just a 4 year college degree. Obama led with those who did NOT have a 4 year college degree as well as those with graduate degrees.

If the race was to be decided by individuals who make over $100,000 dollars a year, McCain would win. McCain also leads among male voters and white voters.

Well, I'm not so sure. Take a look at Gallups results the past 4 days including today:

10/09/2008 - Obama by 11 points.
10/10/2008 - Obama by 10 points.
10/11/2008 - Obama by 9 points.
10/12/2008 - Obama by 7 points.

This could possibly mean that if McCain does well in the next debate, he could get back to within 3 or 4 points of Obama making it a race again.

Sorry, but this is just total horse dung. George Bush and General Petraeus both have graduate degrees from the top schools in the country. The vast majority of the military's field grade officers have graduate degrees and they are more heavily Republican than nearly any other group in the country.

In fact, a gallup poll recently in the summer showed that among all people, John McCain led with people who had just a 4 year college degree. Obama led with those who did NOT have a 4 year college degree as well as those with graduate degrees.

If the race was to be decided by individuals who make over $100,000 dollars a year, McCain would win. McCain also leads among male voters and white voters.

None of this contradicts the points she made. You're using your usual scattergun approach of throwing a bunch of darts at the dartboard in the hope that one or two of them hit the bullseye.

College education does not necessarily equal intellectualism. They're not one and the same. George Bush may have a graduate degree, but he sure as hell is not an intellectual. Are there a lot of people who have four-year, graduate, or ph.ds who are intellectuals? Yes. Does that mean you have to have one to be an intellectual? No, although I don't think you'd find too many people without at least a four-year degree who would be classified as such. Does that mean everyone who has one is an intellectual? I suppose it depends on what field the graduate or doctorate degree is recieved in, but overall, I'd say hell no. We're talking about two different things here. Intellectualism is a curiosity about the world, a desire to think deeply about things. That kind of thing. Now, I'm not saying that none of these people in the military who you say have graduate degrees are not intellectuals - I don't know them from Adam so I have no idea - but I am saying, saying, 'x has a graduate degree' does not automatically mean that x is an intellectual.

STING, there's only so much you can say with statistics. Sometimes, instead of statistics, you just analyze things. And I mean "you" in the general.

The October 13, 2008 issue of the Army Times has a new Military Times election survey of 4,293 members of all branches of the military. Here are the results:

If the presidential election were held today, for whom would you vote?

John McCain 68%
Barack Obama 23%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

BY RACE OR ETHNICITY
WHITE/NON-HISPANIC

John McCain 76%
Barack Obama 17%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

BLACK/AFRICAN-AMERICAN

John McCain 12%
Barack Obama 79%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 4%

HISPANIC OR LATINO

John McCain 63%
Barack Obama 27%
Undecided 7%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 1%

OTHER RACE SPECIFIED

John McCain 58%
Barack Obama 30%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 3%
Other 2%

BY RANK

ENLISTED

John McCain 67%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

OFFICERS

John McCain 70%
Barack Obama 22%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

BY SERVICE

ARMY

John McCain 68%
Barack Obama 23%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

NAVY

John McCain 69%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 1%

AIR FORCE

John McCain 67%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 7%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

MARINE CORPS

John McCain 75%
Barack Obama 18%
Undecided 4%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

BY GENDER

MEN

John McCain 70%
Barack Obama 22%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

WOMEN

John McCain 53%
Barack Obama 36%
Undecided 7%
Decline To Answer 3%
Other 2%

BY AGE

18-34

John McCain 65%
Barack Obama 27%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

35 AND OLDER

John McCain 70%
Barack Obama 21%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 1%

BY DUTY STATUS

ACTIVE-DUTY

John McCain 67%
Barack Obama 24%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

GUARD & RESERVE

John McCain 71%
Barack Obama 21%
Undecided 5%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

Which of the
candidates would do
a better job as
president handling
the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan?

John McCain 74%
Barack Obama 19%
Undecided 4%
Decline To Answer 2%
Other 2%

In making your decision
about voting for
president, your
candidate’s choice for
vice president is:

Very Important 37%
Somewhat Important 50%
Not Very Important 11%
Not At All Important 2%
No Opinion 1%

Which of the candidates
would do a better job as
president handling
military personnel issues,
such as pay and
benefits?

John McCain 73%
Barack Obama 18%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

Which of the
candidates would do
a better job as
president handling
domestic issues, such
as education and the
economy?

John McCain 53%
Barack Obama 33%
Undecided 11%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

Which of the candidates
would do a better job as
president handling
Defense Department
issues, such as weapons
purchases, the size of the
armed forces and national
security strategy?

John McCain 77%
Barack Obama 15%
Undecided 6%
Decline To Answer 1%
Other 2%

http://www.militarytimes.com/static/projects/pages/081003_ep_2pp.pdf

Barack Obama's lowest level of popularity among any major group or area in society is probably found in the US military!

George Bush may have gone to Yale and Harvard, but the public image he tries to project is the exact opposite. His supporters laud him as the guy you wanted to go have a beer with. It's pretty clear his campaigns weren't exactly targeting intellectual voters. Meanwhile, Gore and Kerry and their supporters were slammed for being out-of-touch elitists.

None of this contradicts the points she made. You're using your usual scattergun approach of throwing a bunch of darts at the dartboard in the hope that one or two of them hit the bullseye.

All of it indicates that the following points are total rubbish!

People who are educated, intellectuals, and heaven forbid went to the top schools are not welcome in the Republican party. Anti-intellectualism runs rabid, and Barack Obama was right this summer when he said that these people actually take pride in being ignorant.

There is absolutely no evidence that people who are educated, intellectuals are not welcome in the Republican. If anything, especially when looking at officers in the US military, the opposite is true.

Intellectualism is a curiosity about the world, a desire to think deeply about things. That kind of thing. Now, I'm not saying that none of these people in the military who you say have graduate degrees are not intellectuals - I don't know them from Adam so I have no idea - but I am saying, saying, 'x has a graduate degree' does not automatically mean that x is an intellectual.

But you believe if x is a Republican x is not an intellectual?

I don't think the point is that you can't be a Republican and an intellectual at the same time. I think it's that the Republican Party isn't exactly going out of its way to court intellectual Republicans. Instead, the party is going after the so-called "Joe Six-Pack" voters.

But you believe if x is a Republican x is not an intellectual?

No. But I believe that George Bush and John McCain are not. Even if they were, I believe that their campaigns are very purposefully geared towards anti-intellectualism. When you insist on pushing ads that try to make the case that your African-American opponent is a terrorist sympathizer, knowing damn well that it will hit its mark with people who have pre-existing racism and prejudice fueled by ignorance and lack of information/education, that's gearing it towards anti-intellectualism. No one who actually thinks about things falls for that crap. When your VP is going around using the phrase "Joe Six Pack" every chance she gets, and trying to hit the emotional mark by trotting her family out on stage at the convention, that's geared towards anti-intellectualism. When people like Pat Buchanan say after a debate that Joe Biden was boring because he spent too much time talking about facts, that's geared towards anti-intellectualism. Apparently the people who have power within the GOP have determined that that's the demographic to go for. Which is incredibly sad.

To be fair, Democratic campaigns have done it too to a lesser degree. Hilary's certainly did to a point. I just don't think Obama's has done it much yet.

I don't think the point is that you can't be a Republican and an intellectual at the same time. I think it's that the Republican Party isn't exactly going out of its way to court intellectual Republicans. Instead, the party is going after the so-called "Joe Six-Pack" voters.

Actually the whole "Joe Six-Pack" voter thing is about blue collar Reagan Democrats, especially in western Pennsylvania, not Republicans.

But I believe that George Bush and John McCain are not.

Well, thats not a very informed or intelectual statement at all. It suggest that you have not read very much about John McCain's life, and no I'm not talking about the 5 years he spent as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.

But below is the statement I objected to.

People who are educated, intellectuals, and heaven forbid went to the top schools are not welcome in the Republican party. Anti-intellectualism runs rabid, and Barack Obama was right this summer when he said that these people actually take pride in being ignorant.

Its as uninformed and anti-intellectual a statement as any other statement in here.

McCain finished in the top 98% of his college class. I suppose that makes him intellectual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom