2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy with the camera should have pulled out a world map and asked each of them to point to Iraq or Afghanistan. It’s been a guaranteed laugh for 7 years now when interviewing these types of people. “God Bless George Bush! Saddam Hussein deserved to die for 9/11!” (can you please point to Iraq on this map?) “Here?” (points to Brazil).

NBC is also reporting that at today's McCain/Palin rally, there were screams of "Off with [Obama's] head!"

I am embarrassed on behalf of your entire country to be honest.

YouTube - The McCain-Palin Mob

These people are just plain dumb!!!
I was a little disppointed in the the guy doing the "interviewing" - please ask better questions than "when was the first time you heard of..." - that got slightly redundant. Anyways, just shows you how uninformed many people in smalltown America really are. It's hard to believe that not one of those people compared OBAMA to OSAMA???? That's kinda the mentality isn't it???

I feel for your country - no matter who wins (and all signs are pointing to Obama) there's gonna be trouble.

Obama didn't choose Nancy for his wife or running mate... Sorry, like he says, McCain's record speaks for itself. :shrug:

Your direct quote is here:

Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I think McCain may be scared of smart women...

Obama didn't pick Hillary, and most agree right or left that Hillary has twice the IQ as "God Love Ya Joe Biden".

Perhaps O is really the one that was afraid of a strong, smart woman-in not picking Hillary.

By the looks of it strong smart women tend to gravitate to Johnny Mac.

:)

<>

sarah-palin-thumb.jpg
mccain.jpg

As strong and smart as anyone else that is currently up for debate. Though both of them have made some really dumb statements just recently.
The one can hold her head, the other one can raise her arm. Well, a little strong at least.

But I think when it comes to intellectual capability and really strong-mindedness Michelle Obama is proof enough that Obama is not afraid of strong and smart women.
I also find the argument regarding Hilary Clinton quite pointless as there were obviously good reasons why he didn't pick her.

NBC is also reporting that at today's McCain/Palin rally, there were screams of "Off with [Obama's] head!"

I am embarrassed on behalf of your entire country to be honest.

YouTube - The McCain-Palin Mob

I'm not sure what to make of that. . .

It's sad, I guess. I see a lot of fear in the folks on that video. (and one person who--like many of us Americans likes being on camera!)

His question wasn't thought through that well.
"How long do you know Obama?"
"A year"
"How long do you know Palin?"
"A year"
"And you don't support Obama?"
Well, obviously not. Apparently, these people agreed with Palin's political views more. Or are at least firm conservatives
Alternatively, they knew Obama longer than Palin. But that doesn't mean that they now have to support Obama simply because they knew him well before Palin. However, the person didn't know what to make of it.

His question wasn't thought through that well.
"How long do you know Obama?"
"A year"
"How long do you know Palin?"
"A year"
"And you don't support Obama?"
Well, obviously not. Apparently, these people agreed with Palin's political views more. Or are at least firm conservatives
Alternatively, they knew Obama longer than Palin. But that doesn't mean that they now have to support Obama simply because they knew him well before Palin. However, the person didn't know what to make of it.

True. I thought that was a pretty lame question too. And you could tell these people knew they were being baited.

The one lady though, who said that Obama might be a terrorist "because he has the lineage." . . . wtf?

What about Timothy McVeigh? Did he also "have the lineage?"

Why does no one ever talk about the worst act of terrorism on U.S. soil pre-9/11? How does Okalahoma City fit into all this?

If the guy with the camera were smarter he would have followed up with that!

I sometimes have the feeling the Oklahoma bombing has left many people's mind.

And you find the usual suspects in the video: The one who says Obama was a Muslim the first four years of his life (and, what's the problem with that? I was a Lutheran Protestant the first 18 years of my life), the other one who says his name makes him suspicious etc.
Barack Hussein Obama, well, I didn't know being a terrorist comes with your name.
Poor guys that were named Adolf in the 1920s.

I didn't get what the blonde woman was referring to.

The one lady though, who said that Obama might be a terrorist "because he has the lineage." . . . wtf?

What about Timothy McVeigh? Did he also "have the lineage?"

Why does no one ever talk about the worst act of terrorism on U.S. soil pre-9/11? How does Okalahoma City fit into all this?

If the guy with the camera were smarter he would have followed up with that!

I was at work when the Oklahoma City bombing happened, so it was pretty much all anyone talked about that day. One thing that I've remembered very clearly was that several people I talked to said it had to be Arab terrorists. That didn't make sense to me (I figured someone from another country who wanted to bomb a location in the US probably wouldn't think "Oklahoma City, yeah, that's the place!") so I asked why they thought that. The answer was "because they used a truck bomb -- only Arab terrorists use those."

Yep. People are stupid.

Obama didn't pick Hillary, and most agree right or left that Hillary has twice the IQ as "God Love Ya Joe Biden".

Perhaps O is really the one that was afraid of a strong, smart woman-in not picking Hillary.

By the looks of it strong smart women tend to gravitate to Johnny Mac.

:)

<>

I think sometimes you purposely miss the point. Obama didn't choose Hillary for many reasons, none of which was because she's a smart woman, just look at his wife. McCain on the other hand, and I'm being completely honest non-partisan, I don't think he really gets women. I really don't.

McCain made a short sighted decision with Palin, he picked someone that would help him get to Nov 4.

Obama made a long term decision with Biden, he picked someone that he could govern with, that he knew would be good to have at his side when things get tough. If Obama wanted to be short sighted like McCain, he could have gone with Hillary. But he's smarter than that.

Oh diamond, why do we even spend time on you? :sigh::tsk:

When it comes to governing, it is not Hillary, it is Bill that would make things difficult.

Joe Biden was a wise, forward thinking choice by Obama. There. I've said my piece, back to work. There's an election to be won.

When it comes to governing, it is not Hillary, it is Bill that would make things difficult.

And this sums everything up. I think Bill Clinton will go down in history as one of our best presidents. His charisma and compassion have been met only by Obama in recent U.S. political history. However, if he was anywhere near the presidency, even as the husband of the VP, his shadow would eclipse Obama's. A president cannot govern effectively when they're playing second fiddle to someone else.

And this sums everything up. I think Bill Clinton will go down in history as one of our best presidents. His charisma and compassion have been met only by Obama in recent U.S. political history. However, if he was anywhere near the presidency, even as the husband of the VP, his shadow would eclipse Obama's. A president cannot govern effectively when they're playing second fiddle to someone else.

how old were you when bill was in office?

and according to you by asserting that bill knows how do be an 'effective leader', don't you think he would know when to stand down if his spouse were in office?

don't great leaders know how do that, or does bill's out of control 'chrismo and compassion' supercede his leadership skills?

<>

Here is a perfect example of the celebration of ignorance and stupidity by the right:

– “When Obama says Pock-i-stahn I have an uncontrollable urge to read the New Yorker and find some Chardonnay. Fortunately I have an old copy of NR and a Coors Light to snap me back to reality. Seriously though — no one in flyover country says Pock-i-stahn. It’s annoying.” [E-mail posted by Kathryn Jean Lopez]

– “Re Senator Obama’s ostentatiously exotic pronunciation of Pakistan, one thing I like about Sarah Palin is the way she says ‘Eye-raq’.” [Mark Steyn]

– “Most overwrought pronunciation of the night: The academic way that Obama says ‘Pakistan,’ with a soft ‘a’ - reminscent of a 1980s ‘Saturday Night Live’ sketch in which newscasters over-pronounced ‘Managua, Nicaragua.’” [Philadelphia Daily News]

– “Drinking Game: A shot every time the candidates pronounce ‘Pakistan’ or ‘Taliban’ in an annoying way?” [Ramesh Ponnuru]

Even the Atlantic’s Marc Ambinder liveblogged yesterday, “Noticing that Obama says Pahk-istan and McCain says Pack-istan.” However, Gen. David Petraeus also pronounces Pakistan with a soft “a,” the same as Obama.

Yes, let's celebrate incorrec pronunciations of foreign places. After all, who the hell cares what the right way is, the American way is BEST!! Don't be such effete liberal intellectuals.

David Brooks (Republican for those keeping score) really put it best when he stated that:

[Sarah Palin] represents a fatal cancer to the Republican party. He [Bill Buckley] thought it was important to have people on the conservative side who celebrated ideas, who celebrated learning. And his whole life was based on that, and that was also true for a lot of the other conservatives in the Reagan era. Reagan had an immense faith in the power of ideas. But there has been a counter, more populist tradition, which is not only to scorn liberal ideas but to scorn ideas entirely. And I'm afraid that Sarah Palin has those prejudices. I think President Bush has those prejudices.

how old were you when bill was in office?

and according to you by asserting that bill knows how do be an 'effective leader', don't you think he would know when to stand down?

don't great leaders know how do that, or does bill's 'chrismo and compassion' supercede his leadership skills?

<>

Your hatred for Bill Clinton makes it impossible to reason with you, so I'm not even going to try. I don't know what difference my age makes, but if you must know, I was 4 when Clinton got elected and 12 when he left office. I am able to read and listen, though, so I've learned a lot about the laws passed and reforms he made as president, and I think they prove that he was one of our country's best. I wasn't even alive during the Lincoln, FDR, or Kennedy administrations, for example, but I've read and learned a great deal about them, and I feel that they're also among our country's best presidents.

and according to you by asserting that bill knows how do be an 'effective leader', don't you think he would know when to stand down if his spouse were in office?

don't great leaders know how do that, or does bill's out of control 'chrismo and compassion' supercede his leadership skills?

<>

You're not understanding. The Dem party has been the Clinton's party for a while now, they either had to take first chair or pass the baton, second chair would have created uneasy balances of power. It has nothing to do with Bill knowing when to stand down, his presence there alone would cause old alliances.

i don't hate anyone.

ps-

you left out reagan as being a great president.

<>

I don't feel that Reagan was a great president. I find him highly overrated especially in his asinine trickle-down economics philosophy and his defense policies (i.e. the massive waste of money that was STAR WARS). I give him credit for helping to end the Cold War and standing firm to Gorbachev, but I don't feel he belongs on a list of our best presidents.

You're not understanding. The Dem party has been the Clinton's party for a while now, they either had to take first chair or pass the baton, second chair would have created uneasy balances of power. It has nothing to do with Bill knowing when to stand down, his presence there alone would cause old alliances.

Thank you. You said that clearer than I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom