2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10. - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Well the poor man had to go and get engaged to a woman and for what? You'd be bitter too.

i guess McCain blew him off first, and then he reaches around and blows off McCain.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #322
Blue Crack Addict

The biggest tragedy for McCain is that this is really the second time that W has fucked him but good.

The Dems had all the advantages this year, with the Bush administration's appalling "leadership" for the last 8 years. But the financial crisis is really icing on the cake.

McCain should go commiserate with Jeb.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
It might be. There might also have been some statistical error, making it just an outlier. I mean, only a month ago McCain was up 53%-41%. So that's a huge swing to the statistical tie it is now (45%-43% for Obama). Still, both figures are a far cry from the 27/28 point margin Bush had in 2004 and 2000.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #324
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Off topic, but is it true there are no speed limits on the highways in Montana?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that used to be the case. I think the law was that you had to drive at a "reasonable" speed. (Ha.) Nowadays they do have posted speed limits. I think on the interstates it's 75 or something else that's higher than the norm in other states.

When I moved to Seattle, we would go for miles and miles on the interstate in Montana without seeing another car. We'd stop at a rest stop and only hear birds - very eerie! And there would be exit ramps that would be a dirt road leading to a closed fence - like a ranching road.

Very strange, yet very cool.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Only a month ago, Obama was down 20 in North Carolina according to SUSA....
Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #326
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Off topic, but is it true there are no speed limits on the highways in Montana?
Not anymore. They say that was only in place for a short period of time and speed limits were reintroduced about nine years ago.
It's unbelievable. You have big, free highways with very light slopes but are not allowed to go more than 110 or 130km/h.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #327
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I dunno.

Suppose a group of Obama supporters had a parade going down Main Street in Cheyenne Wy during Cowboy Days, or Pioneer Days in Salt Lake City, Ut- state hoilidays held once a year in their states during the summer months.

Do you really believe that you would have the same vitriolic and obscene gestures and feedback from observers in Wy or Ut. as you did Manhattan?

Be honest now.

<>
I wasn't being dishonest before.

I don't know the first thing about Cheyenne or SLC society, so I'll guess no. I don't expect either candidate's supporters would encounter all that many boos and raised middle fingers (plus racial epithets and non-injurious projectiles, which, together with a considerably increased middle-finger count, I'd add to the likely responses list at decidedly non-'intellectual' Neshoba) if they tried marching through a public fair in most localities--which I still find an obnoxious PR concept to begin with. Yes, flipping marchers off is crass and childish. And morally equating it to failure to address far, far more dangerous, "vitriolic," "obscene," and repulsive sentiments like "Kill him!" "Off with his head!" "Terrorist!" "Killer!" and "Traitor!" towards an opponent at a rally presided over by a candidate is ridiculous--again, show me where Obama supporters have shouted "Kill him" "Off with his head" and the rest about McCain at formal campaign events with Obama or Biden presiding. That, God forbid, would be analogous. Lewis is right to be unnervingly reminded of the scattered shouts of "Kill 'em, Kill 'em, Kill 'em" at some of Wallace's campaign rallies. We're not talking run-of-the-mill lameass boo-hiss stuff here.

As I said earlier, my guess is it's Palin this particularly frightening fringe contingent is attracted by, and I think I understand why. McCain has never excited the rednecks in his own right, and I don't expect that to change.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #328
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quote:
Saturday, [Crist] skipped a McCain football rally and instead went to Disney World.
Ouch.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Ouch.

That's the first thing that thought, too----especially since it's right after his quote about helping McCain if he has time.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #330
Refugee

Local Time: 12:06 PM
Quote:
Go tell it to David Brooks, of your conservative Republican persuasion.

I can't believe you are standing there with a straight face and telling us that intellectuals and "elites" have not been scorned by the Republicans. Did you watch the GOP convention this year? Did you not hear Romney's speech? Giuliani's speech? Please. Get a dose of reality check.
Liberal intellectuals and elites have been scorned by Republicans in the past, but not intellectuals and elites in general. Have you not heard the praise for General Patraeus? Have you not heard the praise for the United States military? Do you really think Republicans despise someone like Alan Greenspan?

I suggest you turn the TV off and examine the issue a little more closely and I'm sure you'll come to understand just how absurd the following statements were:

Quote:
People who are educated, intellectuals, and heaven forbid went to the top schools are not welcome in the Republican party. Anti-intellectualism runs rabid, and Barack Obama was right this summer when he said that these people actually take pride in being ignorant.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, STING, I won't bother even arguing with you. I know you're busy coming up with a whole new set of talking points, seeing as to how you'll need them in 22 days. Best of luck, chap.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #332
Refugee

Its funny, there are probably only 10 people on this board that support McCain or Bush, but clearly, some people in this forum wish that it was zero.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #333
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Some people wish those who supported McCain were more compelling debaters.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #334
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Some people wish those who supported McCain were more compelling debaters.

Those same people would never acknowledge there being any.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #335
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Liberal intellectuals and elites have been scorned by Republicans in the past, but not intellectuals and elites in general. Have you not heard the praise for General Patraeus? Have you not heard the praise for the United States military? Do you really think Republicans despise someone like Alan Greenspan?
Greenspan is a curious example to put forward as a Republican intellectual heavyweight, particularly at this juncture. As I predicted here over a year ago, history will not be kind to Mr Greenspan.

Market fundamentalists like Greenspa believed that the system of US banks using CDOs and passing on risk as packaged securities spread out risk in the system to those who could afford it, and made the system more stable. Obviously, he was completely wrong.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #336
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
It'd be interesting to have Sting explain away what we witnessed in that video.

I found that video as discouraging and the McCain/Palin mob flick. Equally dishonest, equally deplorable. And again it was the people making the video not the "baddies" in the video that I found most dishonest and most deplorable.

Sad.
What I find ironic, is that we have had people in this forum claim that Bush is a Terrorist with the majority in here not stepping in to voice their opposition to that type of a statement. If your looking for wild and crazy things said about politicians, you don't need to look any further than what many have said about Bush in FYM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #337
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Example, please.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #338
Refugee

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
What I find ironic, is that we have had people in this forum claim that Bush is a Terrorist with the majority in here not stepping in to voice their opposition to that type of a statement.
Maybe it's because Bush HAS been responsible for thousands of civilian deaths.

I'm not saying that makes him a "terrorist" necessarily, but certainly tactics of terror have been used fighting a conflict for.............what was the reason again ????
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #339
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

You didn't just give Sting an open invitation to explain the reasons to us (again), did you?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #340
ONE
love, blood, life

What would possess you to ask Sting why we went to war?

Do you WANT to hear about Res...I can't even type it out...again?