2004 US Presidential Elections - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2002, 10:38 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Well, there are lots of options for the Dems in '04....

Gore is polling well, but many people want him to not run. He had his shot, it didn't happen, and he should let someone else have a go. He does have the name recognition-thing going on, though.

Kerry seems like a really good candidate, but he's not polling well at all right now! I met him last week, and while it could have been just good politics, I liked him. I've met politicians before, but he was very good....

Anyways.

Lieberman has the name-recognition-thing also. He's also the democrat most likely to be dragged down with the whole corporate-responsibilty thing. He's got the Connecticut-Insurance company connection there.

Biden is a real stand-up guy, and I like him, but he's from Delaware, and there's really hardly a chance of him getting enough support.

Howard Dean, Governor of Vermont is also in the race, but unfortunately he has little chance, either. See "Biden".

Edwards seems to be the newest "Golden Boy" of the Democratic party. He's young, and popular, but that could work against him in trying to gain national support, because young ususally equals poor name recognition.

The short version of this is that the field is wide open. Add to that a president with sky-high approval ratings, and it should be an interesting campaign all around.

-MIke

Old 07-21-2002, 03:03 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Al Gore will have a tougher time getting the nomination. I think Gephardt will be his greatest competitor, but Gore should run on the idea that he should have won and is setting the record straight.

I think it be a rematch of sorts....with the candidates being:

Rep: George W. Bush
Dem: Albert Gore
Green: Ralph Nader
Lib: Harry Browne
Reform: Ross Perot (just to feed his ego, mind you)

Old 07-21-2002, 05:32 PM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:28 PM
President in '04?

Come on, we all know who the best man for the job would be.

<------------

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:37 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
President in '04?

Come on, we all know who the best man for the job would be.
it's a shame he can't be president, cuz i think he might be able to do a good job. unfortunately, he wasn't born in america or any american territories. however, he could be vice president...
Old 07-21-2002, 10:10 PM   #25
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

it's a shame he can't be president, cuz i think he might be able to do a good job. unfortunately, he wasn't born in america or any american territories. however, he could be vice president...
I really hope you all are kidding. I couldn't do without the concerts and new albums. And I don't think he would like the pay cut / smaller house.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:43 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I'm an independent and not big into politics, but I am a registered voter. I think the Democrats *should* go with a clean break with the Clinton Administration. I don't care what you think of Clinton, he's just too damned controversial, and Gore was his veep. Bush will have to screw up big time to lose. But the American electorate tends to be pretty darn fickle, we'll just have to see how this cookie crumbles. I don't have a crystal ball.
OK, back to PLEBA!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 10:49 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

Actually, no he can't. All of the laws that cover U.S. presidential candidates also apply to vice-presidential candidates. One more thing before I beat it back to PLEBA--I think that law is stupid. If someone is a U.S. citizen and very capable but was born somewhere else I don't see why they can't run for president. Heck, maybe we can get choicer candidates that way....I'm stealing Vaclav Havel from the Czechs.
JOKE! JOKE! I'd vote for Havel if he decided to run here, however----he might make a cool prez.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:01 AM   #28
Refugee

A stupid rule? Possibly. But like the electoral college, it would take a contstitutional amendment to change the rules.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:39 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
A stupid rule? Possibly. But like the electoral college, it would take a contstitutional amendment to change the rules.

Would it take a constitutional amendment to change the U.S.-born rule? Gosh, I wasn't aware of that. I guess so. Otherwise Congress probably would have changed it. After all some of those people were born somewhere else. I just don't care for that rule. It keeps out qualified people IMHO. Hey, there's not a law that says I have to like it!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:38 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Would it take a constitutional amendment to change the U.S.-born rule? Gosh, I wasn't aware of that. I guess so. Otherwise Congress probably would have changed it. After all some of those people were born somewhere else. I just don't care for that rule. It keeps out qualified people IMHO. Hey, there's not a law that says I have to like it!
True, you don't have to like it.

But, yeah, it's in the Constitution: Article II, Section 1, fifth paragraph.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:46 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba

True, you don't have to like it.

But, yeah, it's in the Constitution: Article II, Section 1, fifth paragraph.

OK. Damn. I think that's a shame. I can't rip off a Czech.