2 explosions in Bali - 32 killed so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/th...ng-bomb-victims/2005/10/01/1127804697690.html

Deadly blasts rip through Bali
October 2, 2005 - 2:18PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Emergency ... an unidentified woman is rushed to a hospital after suffering injuries in the blast.
Photo: AFP

· Three Australians among 25 dead
· Suicide bombers suspected
· Telstra offers rebates for relatives
· Muslims condemn "heinous" attack
· Australian wounded to be evacuated
· Special flights to operate
· Downer warns of more attacks
· World condemns attacks

Twenty-five people were dead, including three Australians, after terrorist bombs exploded overnight in three packed tourist restaurants on the Indonesian island of Bali, just days before the third anniversary of the nightclub attacks there.

Officials at Sanglah Hospital said the three Australians were a teenager from Perth, a woman from Newcastle and a man whose hometown was not listed. Nineteen Australians were among more than 100 people wounded in the attacks.

At least two Australian men were being evacuated to Singapore with serious shrapnel wounds and five Australians are listed as missing .

Police said two explosions ripped through beach-side seafood restaurants 100 metres apart in the fishing village of Jimbaran during the evening meal.

Advertisement
AdvertisementMinutes later witnesses said at least one blast tore through the Raja restaurant 30 kilometres away in the shopping district of Kuta, the scene of the 2002 bombings which left 202 people dead, including 88 Australians.

The Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer, has confirmed the death of a 16-year-old Australian boy. Australian authorities have yet to confirm the deaths of two other Australians.

Australia believes Jemaah Islamiah is likely responsible for the latest string of attacks - the same group blamed for the 2002 bombings.

Suicide bombers suspected
A top Indonesian anti-terror official said today three suicide bombers carried out attacks on three crowded restaurants on Indonesia's resort island of Bali.

He said two Malaysian fugitives Azahari Husin and Norodin Mohammed Top were suspected of masterminding the strikes.

Major-General Ansyaad Mbai said said the three attackers went into the packed restaurants on last night wearing explosive vests. The remains of their bodies were found at the scenes, he said.

"I have seen them. All that is left is their head and feet," he said.

"By the evidence we can conclude the bombers were carrying the explosives around their waists."

Malaysians Azahari bin Husin and Noordin Top have been on Indonesia's most wanted lists since the Bali attacks in 2002.

The two - alleged to be key members of the al-Qaeda linked Jemaah Islamiah terror group - were accused of orchestrating those blasts and two others in the Indonesian capital in 2003 and 2004.

Those attacks also involved suicide bombers.

"The modus operandi of Saturday's attacks is the same as the earlier ones," said Mbai.

"We suspect [Husin and Top] were behind this."

I was watching Jana going over about this on the tvs at the gym

Are the others Balinese?

I wish all the bombings world wide would stop, now. I've had enough. :mad:

I think there's many nationalities involved, it sounds like a few were locals/Indonesian, beli.

Not sure Miss V. I heard about this earlier this morning, reported to have happened during our night time but I dont think there were others.

Careful, Halifax. Yes, the leaders of various conflict parties often refer to past events to cloak the conflict in history and justify their actions. And yes, many in the conflict parties believe it. But most often, the actual issues they're pissed about are quite "now".

John Howard and Downer said these attacks are because the terroists want to undermine the Indonesian government and if they kill a few tourists as well then thats a bonus. They also don't want tourists in Bali because they want an Islamic State.

These people are animals, killing more Australians. After all that we've done for Indonesia.
I suppose they will blame us again for being in Iraq, the Terroists will blame anyone but themselves for there own warped way of thinking.
These people are taught to hate the minute that they are born.
I feel sorry for the people caught up in this again.

mucho traffico said:
i dont think people will rush back to holiday there now.

Just come back from the pub, chatting with my mate who says he will still go this christmas ( has planned this trip for 3 months).
It doesnt matter where you are, if your time is up......i could have been hit by a car on my way home from the pub.....i could go down to the kitchen now and choke on a peanut......the only place i wouldnt visit right now is Iraq......(and i would of pre-coalition of the 'willing')

They're killing their own people, hurting their own economy... It's so senseless. I don't know what to say. Bali is a beautiful place. :mad:

foray

foray said:
They're killing their own people, hurting their own economy... It's so senseless. I don't know what to say. Bali is a beautiful place. :mad:

foray
The Balinese are infidels who are occupying Muslim land ~ they deserve to be slaughtered just like the Timorese and Papuans, only when the Pan-Islamic Superstate can unify the archipelligo can there be peace.

Oh and Australians really deserve it for what we do in the region, a billion dollars in aid to Indonesia following the Tsunami is surely an action warranting death.

Aussies go to Phukett instead. My Sister and family were there when the tsusami hit and luckily all survived. They went back at easter and said there were not many tourists there. That was a natural disaster not a terroists bomb. They need tourists in Phukett to help there economy.

I'm really sick of this. Three years ago at this time of the year I remember being so shocked and horrified that people could do this and now it's happened all over again.

There's a story the paper ran today about this Aussie boy who's around my age and he's dead.

they're showing the dismembered heads of the bombers to see if anyone can identify them..you can see them in the background of the picture here

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/10/03/bali.blasts/index.html

"Maj. Gen. Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terror official, said the attacks apparently were planned by Southeast Asia's two most-wanted men, Malaysians Azahari bin Husin and Noordin Mohamed Top.

The men are believed to be connected to Jemaah Islamiya, the regional arm of Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda terrorist network. "

foray said:
They're killing their own people, hurting their own economy...

In Indonesia, that's the point.

The idea goes like this:

Indonesia has only been a democracy for 7 years (I think, between 5 and 10, lol). In the transition to democracy a lot of feathers were ruffled among those who formally had 'real' power or freedom to do whatever in the country.

The government there is relatively shaky. Not in a real threatening way, but like any young democracy it faces a lot of challenges and hasn't had time to truly get it's shit together yet, meaning it is, in relative comparison to countries like most of ours, a very weak democracy.

If the terrorists can continuosly set off the bombs aimed at western tourists and western businesses and embassies etc (remember there have been bombings in Jakarta of embassies and at least one US owned hotel) then they can damage western confidence and investement in Indonesia, tourists will stop going and the economy will take a significant hit.

That weakens the government further and this is the point in the end. Not so much to blow up Australians (although I'm sure this is a sub-goal), but mostly each bomb is a knife into the back of the government.

If they can weaken the government to a certain point, maybe, just maybe, they'll get 'their' people into power. 'Their' people being those who want to run Indonesia as a hardline Islamic state, or those who let it effectively operate that way under the surface. There are some who believe that ever so quietly in the background, the military is either aware of what is going on and provides a level of support, or at the very least turns the other way, as they lost a significant amount of power when the country democratised and would dearly love it back.

At the time of the first Bali Bombings I was in close contact with a guy who, well, certainly knew what he was talking about. His words then were along the lines of "Never underestimate Indonesia's ability to turn from relative calm to very real and immediate threat within 24 hours" and believed that a military coup in Indonesia was to put it simply, Australias biggest nightmare, and was a real threat, particularly if their government is significantly weakened to a point where the people might even openly support it - which, in a country used to effectively military rule, is not such an extreme suggestion.

That of course, is a very very 'worst case' view point and is most likely not a reality we will ever see, but it's certainly the goal.

Were all infidels or apostates here :wink:

Unless of course you are a hardcore Islamist who advocates restoration of the caliphate and the elimination of all other religions. But I don't think there are any of those lurking in FYM.

Back
Top Bottom