$2 a day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard2c

Refugee
I just read in the newspaper about last week's UN Summit that:

"World's Poor Not Getting Enough Help, Leaders Say"

"A grim U.N. report recently said about 40 percent of the world's people struggle to survive on less than $2 a day."

"The 2005 U.N. Human Development Report, released Sept. 7, said more than 1 billion people still survive on less than $1 a day, and 2.5 billion live on less than $2 a day---about 40 percent of the world's 6.2 billion population."

----------

What can they buy for $1 or $2 a day????.........

:|

hey, $2 can go a loooong way in the poorest countries of the world. they are practically bling blingin. they should be thankful for what god has bestowed upon them or maybe if they just weren't so lazy they would be a lot better off.

Why do some people in our country make 2Million in a year, then?
What hell are they doing with their monies?

Makes you kinda happy, yet disgusted, to be an american....

It's all relative.

2 dollars in my country would buy you very little, 2 dollars in another would by you twice, three times or ten times as much.

It's true that many millions of people are living below what many would agree is an 'acceptable' poverty line, but unfortunately the facts are often skewed by misleading statistics.

Se7en said:
hey, $2 can go a loooong way in the poorest countries of the world. they are practically bling blingin. they should be thankful for what god has bestowed upon them or maybe if they just weren't so lazy they would be a lot better off.

what the fuck?

We will never understand what it means to live on $2 a day when casual toss that amount away for one drink at Starbucks or a day's worth of broadband internet connection.

Se7en said:
hyper sarcasm. no more. no less.

It didn't come off as being sarcastic to me. I took it as you being serious. :huh: One should always be careful of how they word things or use (or don't use) smilies, etc. on the internet, because it can be hard to perceive text at times.

Se7en said:

Hope you are kidding :down:

lets make some maths: us$2 are like $6000 colombian pesos, it would be like $180.000 pesos a month... a piece of shit, you can't rent a house or buy decent food with that. to have a "decent" live here (with food, home and services) you have to gain more that a million pesos (more than US$300)

For Honor said:
Why do some people in our country make 2Million in a year, then?
What hell are they doing with their monies?

Makes you kinda happy, yet disgusted, to be an american....

not me.

Se7en said:
hyper sarcasm. no more. no less.

It was obviously sarcastic - well, to me, anyway. Largely because i can't believe that any human beingh with more than half a brain cell could be stupid or ignorant enough to spout that tripe. I didn't take it seriously for a second. :shrug:

sallycinnamon78 said:

It was obviously sarcastic - well, to me, anyway. Largely because i can't believe that any human beingh with more than half a brain cell could be stupid or ignorant enough to spout that tripe. I didn't take it seriously for a second. :shrug:

I took it as being sarcastic too...no worries here:up:

sallycinnamon78 said:

I thought that he was serious, but I'm not stupid, even if is just sarcarsm is still offensive. you and seven have to be more careful before you say that...

again :down:

sallycinnamon78 said:
Largely because i can't believe that any human being with more than half a brain cell could be stupid or ignorant enough to spout that tripe.

You haven´t seen much of the world then. I imagined it was sarcastic, that´s why I asked before of making se7en´s brain to a piece of meat for my pasta asciutta.

Rest assured, there are people on this planet who think exactly what Se7en said.

Muggsy said:

I thought that he was serious, but I'm not stupid, even if is just sarcarsm is still offensive. you and seven have to be more careful before you say that...

Good grief. Talk about a major misunderstanding...

Muggsy, my friend. Be careful when I say what, precisely? For starters, I never said you were stupid. At all.

In my opinion, the comments that Se7en made were obviously not serious. I was saying that I would be disgusted if someone did make those comments and mean it, as I find that way of thinking to be moronic beyond belief.

I thought what I wrote was clear, but it would seem not - maybe I worded it wrongly. That comment was not aimed at you and I was surprised that you interpreted it that way. I'm not apologising for something that I did not say it the first place. I do want to say, though, that I certainly didn't mean to upset you.

You haven´t seen much of the world then. Rest assured, there are people on this planet who think exactly what Se7en said.

Actually, I've moved around a lot, lived in several diferent countries and have visited close relatives on various continents many times. (As have millions of other people, of course.) I'm not trying to say that this makes me any great authority on human nature, but I have seen plenty of the world, thanks very much.

I understand why you say that - the original comment probably came across as naive. In future I shall stick to my usual phrase: the stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

(NO, I'm not calling you stupid, either!!)

christonabikemag.jpg

Last edited:
Muggsy said:

Obviously he has to be more careful because some people just don't have any concept of sarcasm...*ahem Muggsy cough*

nbcrusader said:
We will never understand what it means to live on $2 a day when casual toss that amount away for one drink at Starbucks or a day's worth of broadband internet connection.

Touce, nb: very well said.

Back
Top Bottom