2% ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
odowdpa said:
I am a dual-citizen with Ireland and happen to live in a diverse city.

Yourself?

i've lived abroad and traveled extensively in Europe and North Africa and live in a diverse, international city.

if i had a dollar for every round-table pub discussion where people shout at me for the actions of the Bush administration, actions that i find indefensible ... and through living abroad i feel connected to the repercussions of our actions in a very immediate way, and the repercussions, especially recently, are quite negative.

and being a dual-citizen doesn't mean that you've traveled much. i know dual-citizens who live in one country, and when they go to another, they stay with family and that's it.

financeguy said:

are the two mutually exclusively?

Howard Dean is from your state, isn't he? There is nothing Irvine has said in this thread that Dean hasn't said.

No Dean was actually from NYC I believe:hmm: but yes he was the Gov of VT for a while... and good riddance too him..:tsk: talk about embarressing.

Dismantled said:

What is that suppose to mean? And for your info the answer is yes. Am I suppose to be embarressed that I am an American!? Well, I am not...I love my country, thanks for asking.

i love America The Idea, i love the opportunity that the country has provided me, i am thankful every day that i was born in this country.

i am still embarassed by the actions of my president.

still, the Bushies would have you believe that part of being proud to be an American is to be proud of everything they do. the conflation of patriotism with acquiescence is quite frightening.

Irvine511 said:

i love America The Idea, i love the opportunity that the country has provided me, i am thankful every day that i was born in this country.

i am still embarassed by the actions of my president.

still, the Bushies would have you believe that part of being proud to be an American is to be proud of everything they do. the conflation of patriotism with acquiescence is quite frightening.

I never said I agree with Bush over everything, I just said I am not embarressed to be an American.

To each his own:up: I can see where your comming from also.

your logic is flawed on travel, my friend. you seem to think because you've spent time out of the country your opinion is absolute. not the case.

Isn't it funny how you ask a question, I answer it, and you simply run to shoot me down saying you know dual citizen's who just travel from A to B. now who is being negative. :hmm:

Dismantled said:

No Dean was actually from NYC I believe:hmm: but yes he was the Gov of VT for a while... and good riddance too him..:tsk: talk about embarressing.

well, heath care for every child and civil unions for gay people can't be all that embarassing.

post governorship, you might have a point.

Irvine511 said:

well, heath care for every child and civil unions for gay people can't be all that embarassing.

post governorship, you might have a point.

that was my point:lmao: the T-Rex scream didn't do alot for us.:wink:

Health care for children and civil unions:up:

odowdpa said:
your logic is flawed on travel, my friend. you seem to think because you've spent time out of the country your opinion is absolute. not the case.

Isn't it funny how you ask a question, I answer it, and you simply run to shoot me down saying you know dual citizen's who just travel from A to B. now who is being negative. :hmm:

are you trying to pick a fight?

first, i never said my opinion was absolute; i implied that my embarassment stemmed from the amount of time i had spent abroad.

secondly, you didn't answer my question. i asked if you spent a lot of time out of the country, you said

I am a dual-citizen with Ireland and happen to live in a diverse city.

just where, in those words, did you mention the time you've spent abroad?

easy irvine, we are two civilized people having a conversation. I don't pick fights on the internet or in real life. I do travel extensively through Europe. I have not gone to Africa, however, as you have.

I don't think that matters, however. I know what the opinion in other parts of the world are. But have a mind of your own and make decisons, don't let others govern your opinion. I don't think you let that happen, but the flow of your speech is going that way.

odowdpa said:

channel your rage into something good...go make a difference.

How do you know we haven't? Obviously, you do not know any of us. So where do you get off with that comment? Huh?

I was just making the comment that there seems to be a lot of negativity going on. I know you hate the president, I get it. I was just getting fed up with the same tune every single post.

I don't know what you do for a living, obviously, so I may have been a bit rash - it wasn't meant to be taken literally. I just hate constant bashing. Please, for my faith in Dems, please find a positive Bush story and have a brief convo on it. I will not be finding one for you because that is too easy. I want to know what you think is good. And I think it'll even make you feel good when you do.

In a sense, I hope you are not saying out of ALL the decisons he has ever made in office, he has never made a correct one.

He gave an effective speech on 9/14(?) (questioning the date, not the speech.)

I don't think there was a whole lot of disagreement with him going into Afghanistan.

2 per cent.

TWO PER CENT of african americans approve of bush.

you're right, odowapowow, that's not news at all. in fact, it was only on msn.com home page earlier today. maybe it still is.

yeah, that's really LOOKING for dirt isn't it? i mean, how dare people talk about something like that when they can rather go and make a difference.

odowdpa said:
I was just making the comment that there seems to be a lot of negativity going on. I know you hate the president, I get it. I was just getting fed up with the same tune every single post.

I don't know what you do for a living, obviously, so I may have been a bit rash - it wasn't meant to be taken literally. I just hate constant bashing. Please, for my faith in Dems, please find a positive Bush story and have a brief convo on it. I will not be finding one for you because that is too easy. I want to know what you think is good. And I think it'll even make you feel good when you do.

In a sense, I hope you are not saying out of ALL the decisons he has ever made in office, he has never made a correct one.

I don't think calling a spade a spade is negative.

And I don't think that coming up with one or two "good" things Bush has done or said would make me feel better about his presidency or myself as a human being. I would compliment Bush as easily as I criticized Clinton if I could actually think of something to compliment him about but I'm still thinking. In fact, I find that the liberals/Democrats here (and in the world) more freely criticize the left than Republicans criticize the right except for very recently (post-New Orleans). I would like to see the Republicans/right-leaning people here admit a few things that Bush has fucked up but honestly I don't think I've seen that here except from Dreadsox.

zoomerang i cant help but smile looking at your pic.

but you didn't get my point. im not talking about 2%, im talking in general. i think people know african-americans don't support Bush. that story was beaten into our heads during the election, right?

but what i am saying is the constant bush bashing is herendous. if you need to vent, i understand, but it gets ridiculous after a while.

Constant bashing of many things and people on Interference can be considered "ridiculous", the difference being that those things and people don't have the impact that the "leader of the free world" does..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...3/BL2005101300885.html?nav=rss_nation/special

This latest poll included 807 people nationwide, and only 89 blacks. As a result, there is a considerable margin or error -- and the findings should not be considered definitive until or unless they are validated by other polls.

David Bositis, a senior political analyst at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, which tracks African American public opinion, told me this morning that it's clear that Bush's job approval among blacks "has taken a hit from both the ongoing things in Iraq and what happened with Katrina."

But down to 2 percent? "I doubt that it's actually 2," he said.

"But would I be surprised if it's 10 or 12? No." And 10, he said, is typically "about as low as you can go" when it comes to approval ratings.

The latest Washington Post/ABC News poll, released September 13, about two weeks after Katrina hit, found Bush's job approval among blacks at 14 percent, compared to 42 percent among the general population. Exit polls showed that 11 percent of black voters voted for Bush in November 2004.

The Pew Research Center is just out with its latest poll, which has a larger sample, and it finds Bush's approval rating among blacks at 12 percent, down only slightly from 14 in July.

Se7en said:
everyone knows that the only poll that matters was the 2004 election. the american people gave president bush a mandate. if the country really felt so anti-bush surely they would have voted another candidate into office.

You're missing the point. People who voted for Bush in 2004 are abandoning him in droves.

Hillary will be our next President, mark my words...

odowdpa said:
but what i am saying is the constant bush bashing is herendous. if you need to vent, i understand, but it gets ridiculous after a while.

Why? Why would you even call it Bush-bashing?

I just see a lot of Americans expressing a mix of frustration and anger at a President and Administration who to them are going from bad to worse on a daily basis, and confusion and disbelief that there are still those who support that.

I also see a lot of non-Americans who are well aware that an American President's actions have consequences which effect those far beyond just the ones who get to vote for the guy, and always seem to just be essentially screaming into the US "WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES!!!", and are doing so completely and totally free of any Democrat/Republican allegiences.

It's funny, I personally think George W Bush has united the world more than any other single US President. I truly believe that. No matter what corner of the globe you travel to, no matter who you meet, no matter the nationality, race, religion, age, education level, socio-economic background, and even political leanings - believe me when I tell you that disgust at George Bush is the universal language now. Crosses every border and divide.

The problem with that is it often spills over. What Irvine is getting at, asking about travel, is in part the image of the narrowminded American watching Fox News with the 'us and them' attitude, where the world is divided into two 'The US and The Rest' with no knowledge or understanding of the way things really are. The ignorant American who can be convinced to hurl insults at France and boycot their products, the ignorant American who will shout you down with flat out lies in their support of Iraq, but can't find Iraq on a map. You all know the stereotypes (and I've met my fair share of them travelling in the US). The sad thing is that there is a stereotype in reverse, and you meet people that haven't travelled to the US, don't pay close attention to the way things actually work there and the divides within the US, don't realise that the blinded hardcore support for Bush is actually very low and just assume that Bush is a reflection of a genuine national attitude and ignorance. That reflects badly on a great country that doesn't deserve it at all.

Anyway, the point is, the fist shaking and anger isn't going way. I suspect it will only get better or worse depending on Bush himself.

LyricalDrug said:

You're missing the point. People who voted for Bush in 2004 are abandoning him in droves.

Hillary will be our next President, mark my words...

ew.....:barf:

Judah said:
I'm going to search for "positive" Bush stories, right now...will come back if I find one.

Judah......are you still out there? Do we need to send out a search team into the web to help find you?

:ohmy:

odowdpa said:
thats just it, my friend. thats all you write about is negativity. please cast that light back on yourself. you seemingly search for negative Bush stories and post them on this board and talk about it. Who is being negative?
Typical Republican, Bush-supporter nonsense - when you're being criticized don't respond to the actual criticism, instead attack the criticizer for being negative. This is the staple of the Bush administration's media spin policy. Karl Rove would be proud of you, odowdpa, you have learned well.

Zootomic said:

Typical Republican, Bush-supporter nonsense - when you're being criticized don't respond to the actual criticism, instead attack the criticizer for being negative. This is the staple of the Bush administration's media spin policy. Karl Rove would be proud of you, odowdpa, you have learned well.

we're not going to play the blame game right now. quit being so negative.

The fact of the matter is I don't even have to search for "Bush" negativity. It hits me in the morning when I turn on the tv to see what the weather report is. Bush negativity is on CNN, CTV, MSNBC, BBC, in music and videos. There is no reason to search. Just breath the air, crank up you car or have to see a doctor, insurance or not.. It's there..in your face all the time. And yes I know it didn't start with Bush, but he has managed to magnify, ten fold, an already dreadfull situation.

trevster2k said:
Black people don't care about George Bush.

Would this be because they feel he doesn't care about them?

If so, how does this make Bush supporters feel? I cringe when electeds and anyone, really, shows little or no concern for others. Dont we all cringe when we see blatant disregard?

Of course, if the African Americans asked in this poll are just being silly, write this off. But if this might be part of the truth, I'd love a response.

Back
Top Bottom