15 years ago...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reagan-berlin.gif

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

I can't either, in the old days when I was in school it seemed forever. Who'd have guessed?

This reminds me of the story of U2 flying into Berlin on the last flight and accidently getting caught up in the pro Communist parade :laugh:

I remember when they tore down the Berlin Wall. That was one of the very few periods of my life that watching the news was really fun. They were overthrowing all of the Communist dictators in Eastern Europe, starting with Hungary, and every day I'd turn on the news to check on the developing revolt against Communism. It was a real rush to watch all of that, something I never thought I'd see in my life. Vaclav Havel went from prison to the Czech Presidency! They overthrew Ceceauscu, the notorious Bulgarian dictator, and all of those other Communist :censored:'s!!

Just think, there is a whole new generation who do not know the Iron Curtain, the Cold War or the influence of communism in Europe.

nbcrusader said:
Just think, there is a whole new generation who do not know the Iron Curtain, the Cold War or the influence of communism in Europe.

You're right, unfortunately there are still a lot of tensions between East- and West-Germany as well as economic imbalances. Let’s hope all this gets resolved in the near future.

I was in Berlin in June. I loved it. I went looking for the Hansa-Tone Studios were "ONE" was recorded, I never found it. It was emotional to see the remains of the wall scattered throughout the city. The city really has come far and I believe it has a good future. There are still divides, which you can see, but with time it will all fade into history.

Some of my relatives live in Berlin.

It´s a cool city.

I remember 15 years ago, when we called each other, and they said they would not have expected to see that wall coming down in their lifetime. It was a great historical moment.

I remember when it came down. It was an amazing feeling for those of us in Eastern Europe.

My father went to East Germany in the early 80s, and in a moment of rebellion wrote my name, and my brother's name on there. He says he often wonders where that piece of wall is now.

Back
Top Bottom