$15,000 for a Play Station 3?!?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would never pay so much for a system. I could have put a down payment on a house or buy a car for that money. Hell that could pay a couple of semesters at a community college.

Someone actually bought it for that price??? :shocked: Well, at least the shipping was free :wink:

$15k was the cost of my entire undergraduate degree. Now I know I can trade in that diploma for 60 gigs of Final fantasy action! :drool:

Liesje said:
I heard someone got shot over one.

Not that I'm saying I approve, because you already know my opinion on guns :wink:. But I just wanted to point out that there is usually at least one altercation that results in a shooting (sometimes death) whenever a new gaming system is released.

Liesje said:
I heard someone got shot over one.

Actually what happened was a a gun men went up to the line and demanded the peoples money. One guy refused and got popped. The robber didn't get away with anyones money I think.

It looks like someone fake bid it up to that price

still, it looks like they are going for 2,500-3,000 which is ridiculous

They only made like 400,000 of them or some crap.

I still wouldn't pay more than face value for one. Of course, I haven't owned a game system since Super Nintendo. :wink:

Everyone knows there's been a huge PlayStation 3 dump on eBay, as entrepreneurial sorts (like Alex from today's editor's corner) attempt to cash in on the frenzy (and short supply) surrounding the next-gen console. From eBay Marketplace Research, here's the breakdown so far:

As of 9:23 AM Friday, 174 PS3 consoles have sold for an average selling price of $2,618.47, and since its availability on eBay in pre-sale (October 17 until midnight last night), 3,533 PS3s have been sold for an average price of $1,788.88.

The average price for last week was $1,959.73, and the average price of the 334 sold yesterday was $2,184.85. In a month, the average price has nearly doubled. How long can this go on for?

A final statistic-- at the moment, there are currently 1,579 PS3s listed on eBay.

IDIOTS!! But it's their money I suppose!

People are idiots for pouncing on launch consoles, not only because they tend to be buggy, but also because most launch titles are less than desirable. By the time the good games for the PS3 comes out, these supply issues should be ancient history.

That's why it makes so little sense to me.

^even better point. Plus they have no receipts for their purchase to get it repaired or exchanged if they buy it off ebay. Well, maybe the seller will give them the receipt, I dunno.

I was just reading CBC news which said Sony anticipates 4 more shipments to Canada of only 8000 units each this year. So Canada for the year of 2006,will get less than 80,000 PS3s. Over a million PS2s have been sold in Canada.

It's nice that it creates a HUGE demand but if I was a Sony fan, I would be pissed. I wonder if the PS3 will behave like Sony laptop batteries.

:wink:

Ormus said:
People are idiots for pouncing on launch consoles, not only because they tend to be buggy, but also because most launch titles are less than desirable. By the time the good games for the PS3 comes out, these supply issues should be ancient history.

That's why it makes so little sense to me.

My brother was silly enough to do the same. He got a PS2 when it first came out, of course, since then, he's passed it on to me. Now I'm stuck with an old PS2 that doesn't play blue discs and some dvds :madwife:

I had heard ebay had banned the sale of these things due to this type of price gouging. Maybe the local radio DJ who announced that 'news' yesterday when I heard it was only trying to give heart attacks to all those who sat in line for days. I really wish someone would stop this type of profiteering and taking advantage of people who cannot spend 3 days camped out at Circuit City.

Butterscotch said:
I had heard ebay had banned the sale of these things due to this type of price gouging. Maybe the local radio DJ who announced that 'news' yesterday when I heard it was only trying to give heart attacks to all those who sat in line for days. I really wish someone would stop this type of profiteering and taking advantage of people who cannot spend 3 days camped out at Circuit City.

How is it taking advantage of people? If you want something bad enough, then you'll get it by any means necessary. Knowing that they are people out there would pay thousands of dollars for a PS3 only encourages people to wait in line just to sell it. For a lot of people, it would mean making more money than 2 or 3 days of working. I'm not defending the people that are only in it to make money, but the people paying these outrageous sums of money are the real idiots and the ones would should be stopped.

Maybe they shouldn't be stopped and be free to sell or buy as they please. If it is a mutually agreed transaction then whats the issue; the extra 1400 dollars is just for bragging rights.

I heard this morning that one went for $6,000.
I really think the whole thing is disgusting.
IMO - I couldn't justify spending $ on the system.

I wouldn't even allow my kids to put it on their christmas lists. I explained to them that they have PS2 and that spending that money on it would buy sooooo many other things for needy people.

I sound mean....but I truly believe its wrong to give a child a $600 toy. :|

JCOSTER said:

I sound mean....but I truly believe its wrong to give a child a $600 toy. :|

You don't sound mean at all! We never had these games as kids, so we never even thought to ask for one. I think we turned out all right, so my future kids won't have them either, at least not until they are old enough to buy their own.

With the X-Box 360, my friend won one from the Mountain Dew promo and sold it for like $600 to someone that just HAD to have it. :shrug:

My husband is into gaming, but he never gets these new systems because not only are you spending a month's rent on a TOY, you have to buy all new games!

Are people's lives so empty that they will pay $1000's of dollars and become violent over a game system that will be cheaper and more available in a few month's time?

It's terrible that the lure of the huge profit will make people do drastic things like camping in line and taking them away from people who want one so that they either do without or have to pay outrageous prices. When most of the people there don't actually want the product but are buying it to hike up the price to others, it is unfair to those who really wanted one but didn't get to buy one because some greedy loser with no job who had several days to rot away in line got there first and took the spot. In general I am against any scalping of this type. And yes, I do know some guys who were guilty of this.

If any of you had a PS3, you and especially me would put it on ebay and sell it for as much as possible. Comeon! Like Wanderer said it's a mutually agreed transaction, both parties gain.

I have a question, maybe someone here can explain it to me.

If a store has about 100 consoles for sale only, why would there be a line of 100+ people waiting? I mean, those first 100 people know they are guaranteed a console if they are let in two at a time, but what about the people after the first 100?

I never can understand that, unless they're praying for a small miracle of the 101st console suddenly popping out of thin air to be sold.

Yeah, but if you're like someone that's in the middle of that line, you really won't get much of chance of that happening, right?

The whole ordeal seems crazy to me anyway in the first place lol.

Sevikins said:
IIf a store has about 100 consoles for sale only, why would there be a line of 100+ people waiting? I mean, those first 100 people know they are guaranteed a console if they are let in two at a time, but what about the people after the first 100?

With the PS3, try stores with 8 consoles or less. In other words, those after the eighth place in line were out of luck.

That's what makes all of this so incredibly silly. Of course, most people don't pay that close of attention to these details, and, instead, pay attention to the console release date.

Yeah, when PS2 came out, we told everyone we only had 8. And those 8 were for pre-orders. WHY people with preorders felt it necessary to line up, I'll never know. But they did, and so did many other random people. I guess maybe they thought we were lying or something??

Back
Top Bottom