12 year old girl murdered for rude posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeloo

War Child
I'm surprised this hasn't happened here yet as upset as some people can get over internet sites and message boards! A 12 year old Japanese girl was killed by an 11 year old classmate over comments posted on a website!

Japan Eyes Internet as Culprit for School Killing

Thu Jun 3, 4:12 AM ET Add Technology - Internet Report to My Yahoo!

By George Nishiyama

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese media have turned to the Internet as a culprit in the shocking killing of a 12-year-old girl by her classmate this week, as trouble over messages posted on a Web site emerged as a possible motive.

The 11-year-old girl who killed Satomi Mitarai by slashing her throat at their primary school in southern Japan on Tuesday told police she killed her friend because she was angry about a message posted on a Web site, newspapers said.

Media reports on Thursday said both girls had their own Web sites and took part in online chatrooms, the use of which is proliferating in Japan even among primary school students.

The Internet has already become a part of life for Japanese children. Almost all public schools have access to the Web and government data shows that over 60 percent of children aged between six and 12 use the Internet.

Experts say communicating via the Internet can stimulate emotional reactions and warn that users should take extra care not needed in face-to-face conversations.

"When you talk with your friends in the classroom, you look at their faces. So you can tell if they're serious or joking, or angry or laughing, from their expressions or tone of voice," the Internet Association Japan, a non-profit organization, says in its "Rules and Manners for Children using the Internet."

"But with the Internet, you can't hear your friends' voices or see their faces... What you wrote as a joke can make your friend angry."

Media said the 11-year-old had told investigators she asked Satomi not to write messages about her appearance on an Internet bulletin board, but that her friend had refused to stop.

HIGH-TECH SCAPEGOAT?

Satomi died from loss of blood after her classmate slashed her throat with a knife during the lunch break on Tuesday at their school in Sasebo, 980 km (610 miles) southwest of Tokyo.

"I tried to blindfold her with a towel, but she refused, so I covered her eyes with my hand," Kyodo news agency quoted the girl as telling investigators.

Some experts, however, said the Internet was being wrongly blamed for what is the latest in a series of high-profile juvenile crimes that have shocked Japan and forced it to search for answers.

"It is true that the Internet can be a factor in increasing emotional reactions, but the more basic problem is that of an inability to communicate skillfully with another human being," said Tatsuo Inamasu, a professor at Tokyo's Hosei University.

"The reports say that the trigger was a comment on the Internet, but there must have been a lot that went before."

Inamasu, who specializes in media studies, also said many parents and teachers put the blame on computers as they do not understand well how to use them.

"I don't think we can blame computers for causing a murder."

The 11-year-old will appear before a family court, which could send her to a special reformatory. Children under 14 cannot be prosecuted in Japan. (Additional reporting by Linda Sieg)

Last edited:
And I thought refusing responsibility for one's own actions was a uniquely American way of explaining tragic events like this....looks like I was wrong. :sad:

What a disturbing trend...what makes an 11 year-old even THINK about murdering a classmate or anyone else for that matter?!? And I'm sure there are those who will claim it's the influence of movies, video games, and television in addition to the Internet, but somewhere, somehow this child was let down by adults who are supposed to be shaping her mind - which includes teaching her how to properly handle situations that make her angry. Without a medical condition that would explain her lack of reason or anger management skills, I cannot believe that this child has parents who are fully involved in her upbringing on a day to day basis.
It's just all so tragic; two families will be irrefutably damaged by this and the root of the problem may never be found or addressed. My prayers go to both sets of parents.

And people think I get too emotional over message boards :( That is a tragedy such a thing would happen. :(

Satomi even sort of sounds like Salome

I agree that "the more basic problem is that of an inability to communicate skillfully with another human being"

Experts say communicating via the Internet can stimulate emotional reactions and warn that users should take extra care not needed in face-to-face conversations.

"When you talk with your friends in the classroom, you look at their faces. So you can tell if they're serious or joking, or angry or laughing, from their expressions or tone of voice," the Internet Association Japan, a non-profit organization, says in its "Rules and Manners for Children using the Internet."

"But with the Internet, you can't hear your friends' voices or see their faces... What you wrote as a joke can make your friend angry."

:shocked: what a shame. obviously this girl has issues that extends beyond not being able to communicate with other people. The post on the internet just happened to be the thing to ignite those issues.

"It is true that the Internet can be a factor in increasing emotional reactions, but the more basic problem is that of an inability to communicate skillfully with another human being," said Tatsuo Inamasu, a professor at Tokyo's Hosei University.

:( This is just awful.

BRG and Olive have a good point; this girl obviously had other issues, possibly mental problems. Otherwise, she would've simply confronted her friend about what she posted, instead of flying off the handle and killing her. I hope she can get the help she needs, and steps taken to prevent this happening again (no, I don't think cutting off the Internet is the answer).

I've always thought that Communication should be taught at school. So many problems would be solved if only we could communicate properly with each other. Teaching kids to respect each other, even if they don't like each other, would be a big help, too.

Maybe this will make some people afraid to flame. That could be a lesson learned. People like to hide behind the internet and screen names and say and do things they'd never do in person. I'm sure we've all been pissed at somebody's insulting post but you usually never have to face the person. These girls lived in the same town and went to the same school so they were in contact. It's like the computer form of road rage. I hope this doesn't start a trend :(

Let's face it......kids can and will do nasty things toward each other.
Nowadays, kids don't meet after school for a fist fight; they bring
guns or knives it seems.
Easy explanation by the "media" is that it's music, movies, etc
that causes this. A new one is web message boards.
Columbine comes to mind. Those two dudes were sick to begin
with and had a history of weird behavior.
Scary trend. Some kids that are made fun of in school now
have weapons and will kill you now.
Probably this girl who murdered the other girl has a history of
violent behavior. Watch as this story unfolds that this girl had
troubles in the past that went un-noticed by teachers, etc.
Anyways, just my opinion.

there is a tendency to ignore or deny mental illness in one's kids, the world over.. from america to africa to japan.

it's nothing new. the parents keep on going "there's nothing wrong, it's just a phase" and then something like this happens.

some 20-odd years ago a classmate invited me to come hang out after school at a local park... when i got there there was the "friend" and a bunch more kids, bigger than me. this "friend" slashed my face open with a razor blade. there is still a scar visible, running down my right cheekbone from the corner of my eye across my cheek.

why?

I'd scored higher on some tests and had refused to study with this person.

there WASN'T an Internet at that time (per se.).

That's awful Wolfy :( I'm sorry :hug: I had kids kick my ass before but not with a knife. It's so sad people have to be that way.

It's just to illustrate the point that kids have always been horrible to one another, whether people want to blame it on TV or video games or Ozzy Osbourne or the Net... it's always been out there. this kind of violence has ALWAYS been present.

parents need to wake up and get their kids the help they need, before this kind of thing happens again... this Japanese tragedy, Columbine USA, or the young boy abducted and murdered by two boys not much older than him in England...

but none of this will happen until mental illness stops being stigmatized as a weakness or a failure and starts being treated like any other disease that can befall a body.

Last edited:
I agree there has always been violence and I get tired of seeing the internet, TV, movies and songs blamed when something happens. It's hard not to blame the internet for this since it was over a message board, but like everyone says there had to have been trouble anyway. I don't think all kids who do this are necessarily mentally ill, some are just plain mean, and some are so upset by being picked on they feel their life is over anyway (I have felt this myself) In Japan, their culture and 'saving face' might have something to do with this, the thing that it's better to die than face disgrace and humiliation, but they usually kill themselves (harikari?) instead of someone else.

Last edited:
wolfeden said:
some 20-odd years ago a classmate invited me to come hang out after school at a local park... when i got there there was the "friend" and a bunch more kids, bigger than me. this "friend" slashed my face open with a razor blade. there is still a scar visible, running down my right cheekbone from the corner of my eye across my cheek.

why?

I'd scored higher on some tests and had refused to study with this person.

:shocked: What an absolutely horrible thing to happen to you. And over such a trivial reason. Please tell me you reported the incident to authorities?

I got beat up a lot in grade school, too (about 25 years ago), though never with a potentially lethal weapon. The worst I dealt with was other kids using big rings or long, sharp fingernails. Their reasons were just as stupid; I was the only poor kid in a school full of rich kids.

For all the hoo-ha over improving kids' self esteem, we've neglected lessons in esteeming others. The result is a bunch of shallow, narcissistic children who truly believe that they are the Center of the Universe, and if anything goes wrong, no matter how minor, they totally lose it. :( Needless to say, they are very ill-equipped to deal with the real world.

Back
Top Bottom