100 Year Old Celebrates Birthday by Smoking a Cigarette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the iron horse said:

Julia Child (passed on at 92)

>More butter....

Maybe if we post enough exceptions it will become fact.

I know a man that survived a bullet to the head, so I really don't think bullets kill.

the iron horse said:

Can you count me as a friend?

A tobacco smoking friend?

*only in moderaration, of course :)

Julia Child (passed on at 92)

>More butter....

since i'm not near you, i can't smell the nicotine on your fingers and breath, but i can smell the insecurity in these posts.

you should quit. you'll feel better and live longer and not be so stinky.

'This ain't a city, it's a gosh damned arms race.."

Ahem. I smoke. I personally get really tired of the non smokers lecturing the heck out of me every time I light one. I'm often tempted to say, "I smoke because you bother me."

I personally have no desire to live longer. For what purpose? Chances are good, that even if I didn't smoke, I'd die at about 68 at the latest, considering my family history of lovely colorectal and other lovely digestive tract issues.

But hey, if I quit smoking and live longer, I'll get to enjoy those things. :thumbsup: Brilliant!

People who smoke are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease or dementia than nonsmokers or former smokers, according to a study in the current issue of “Neurology” magazine.

The study, conducted in the Netherlands, followed 7,000 people age 55 and older for an average of seven years.

During that time, 706 of the participants developed dementia. Smokers were 50 percent more likely to develop dementia than people who never smoked or quit before the study started.

A 2006 analysis of 19 similar studies reached the same conclusion, according to the March issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology.

Those studies measured a combined 26,374 participants who were followed from two to 30 years.

Dr. Monique Breteler, the author of the recent study, said smoking increases the risk of disease in the brain’s blood vessels, increases oxidative stress which damages cells and can lead to hardened arteries.

Breteler said similar damage is seen in Alzheimer’s patients. She said oxidative stress can be eliminated by antioxidants, but “smokers have fewer antioxidants.”

Back
Top Bottom