10 Commandments...HOW DARE YOU! Koran....It's all good....its about DIVERSITY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]A Koran installed in the lobby of police headquarters has raised concerns about a breach in the constitutional wall separating church and state, and underscores the influential role religion plays in the culture of the department[/Q]

[Q]The Koran is displayed atop a brass pedestal and ensconced in a glass cube in front of the official police seal near the Hall of Heroes. Its installation coincides with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.[/Q]

[Q]Donna Lieberman, the New York Civil Liberties Union executive director, said no matter what its intentions are, the city can not violate the separation of church and state.

"I think that the government, including the Police Department, cannot engage in religious promotion," she said. "There's a vast difference between promoting religion and in educating police officers about religions so that they understand and are sensitive to various values and beliefs."[/Q]

I will now return to my self imposed exile......

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/nyc-nyreli073529012nov07,0,3516051.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-manhattan

I'm for removal too. Either it's complete separation of church and state or not.

Well i guess they're trying to show respect for the muslims after all the muslim bashing after Sep11. ..... But then again.... it's all the double standards!

bayernfc said:
Well i guess they're trying to show respect for the muslims after all the muslim bashing after Sep11. ..... But then again.... it's all the double standards!

I *hate* Muslim bashing; they're people too, and many of them are U.S. citizens too. However, I don't think a religious object should be on public display in a government building.

Last edited:
I really don't see what it's hurting. If it's an educational thing, that's fine.

Sometimes I think the separation of church and state goes TOO far.

Back
Top Bottom