we all officially live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
question for you beatles fans. what the hell is so bad about the lyrics 'knowing she would'? i dont agree they had to change it to appease anally retentive society.
:grumpy:

Angela Harlem said:
question for you beatles fans. what the hell is so bad about the lyrics 'knowing she would'? i dont agree they had to change it to appease anally retentive society.
:grumpy:

in my sleep deprived state, i'm not sure what you mean :der:

the lyrics to norwegian wood were originally 'knowing she would' but the record company heard that and said "no f*cking way lads! try again" and to prevent rewriting the song, they picked a line which kinda ryhmed with what they wanted in the first place.

apparently. the story goes something like this anyway.

does having 'knowing she would' make this song too suggestive for brit pop 60's culture?

we've come so far, this society of ours! :cute:

Angela Harlem said:
the lyrics to norwegian wood were originally 'knowing she would' but the record company heard that and said "no f*cking way lads! try again" and to prevent rewriting the song, they picked a line which kinda ryhmed with what they wanted in the first place.

apparently. the story goes something like this anyway.

does having 'knowing she would' make this song too suggestive for brit pop 60's culture?

we've come so far, this society of ours! :cute:

Angie...

this whole topic is far deeper than you may know. What you have to do is take a look at what was going on with the Norwegian Lumber Industry at the time (would = wood). The Norwegian Lumber Jacks were ready to strike at any moment...negotiations with the Norwegian Lumber Mills over pay and health benefits were not going well. Plastic was a hot comodity at the time, and looked like Scandinavian designers were primarily designing with this new found media.

When the Beatles toured Europe, their stop in Oslo was clouded by the Lumber protesters. Paul and John developed a kinship with some of the Lumber Jacks who visited with the band. In fact, to this day, if you were to tour Lennon's "Dakota" apartment in NYC, you would notice that Yoko has a number of Norwegian Wood pieces.

At the time, the Brits did not want to disrupt the Norwegian lumber trade, so they asked the Beatles to change the lyrics of the song slightly.

Who wood have known?

no.

At the time, there was a Lumber Jack Union.

It wasn't easy to get into. Not easy at all.

I will look back through my book shelf and suggest some interesting reading to you later. :up:

Shoot...I'll just send you the books. You know, as long as I don't forget to take em out of my trunkLOL :lol:

Last edited:
you think so?

I guess. I mean...if it isn't about you, and you get mad, and this is...yeah...I am pretty much deadLOL. :uhoh:

don't do drugs
stay in school
get your 8 hours of milk
and drink lots of sleep

It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear
That I'm not here.

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene
And I'm doing the best that I can

Angela Harlem said:
Oh my god you are going to be killed.

KILLED!!!!!!!!

:up:

hmm, yes. killed.

this might have been the case had i even seen his post.

ah, well. enjoy the books. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom