It's Officially NOT alot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
there is no such word as alot :tongue:

if there's one thing I learned from my teacher in English class in high school, that was it....it's a lot, not alot :rant:

/rant

now back to our regularly scheduled posting...

alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot alot

actually, ain't IS in the dictionary, so it IS a word.....alot on the other hand isn't. :tongue:

ain't
1. Contraction of am not.
2. Used also as a contraction for are not, is not, has not, and have not.

Last edited:
if you think that's bad, there's this moron who posts on a mailing list i subscribe to and she spells it ALLOT! one of these days, i will quote her "allot" and tell her this:

Main Entry: al?lot
Pronunciation: &-'l?t
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): al?lot?ted; al?lot?ting
Etymology: Middle English alotten, from Middle French aloter, from a- (from Latin ad-) + lot, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English hlot lot
Date: 15th century
1 : to assign as a share or portion <allot 10 minutes for the speech>
2 : to distribute by or as if by lot <allot seats to the press>
- al?lot?ter noun
Main Entry: lot
Pronunciation: 'l?t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hlot; akin to Old High German hlOz
Date: before 12th century
1 : an object used as a counter in determining a question by chance
2 a : the use of lots as a means of deciding something b : the resulting choice
3 a : something that comes to one upon whom a lot has fallen : SHARE b : one's way of life or worldly fate : FORTUNE
4 a : a portion of land b : a measured parcel of land having fixed boundaries and designated on a plot or survey c : a motion-picture studio and its adjoining property
5 a : a number of units of an article, a single article, or a parcel of articles offered as one item (as in an auction sale) b : all the members of a present group, kind, or quantity -- used with the
6 a : a number of associated persons : SET b : KIND, SORT
7 : a considerable quantity or extent <a lot of money> <lots of friends>
synonym see FATE
- a lot 1 : to a considerable degree or extent <this is a lot nicer> 2 : OFTEN, FREQUENTLY <runs a lot every day> 3 : LOTS

Last edited:
I never understood ever why people ever used "alot" in the first place.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom