it's official#your favourite architecture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wrote nt (i think it's 'no text' or something) because i had absolutely nothing to say

I would've started off but I'm completely clueless about these things

that said that milwaukee art museum looks pretty cool

crysler building (kinda reminds me of Orthanc ;) )
chrysler02-sull.jpg

these neat wooden churches in Russia
russia-kiszhi-woodenchurch01-at.jpg

church of transfiguration
russia-kiszhi-woodenchurch-at.jpg

bank of china tower
pei-bankhongkong-pritzker.jpg

check out these great links

http://architecture.about.com/library/bl-buildings.htm
http://architecture.about.com/msub-buildingtype.htm

:hmm:

Nice selection mr. trap!

since the question was "architecture," and it seems as if Yertle was getting all technical, I would have to say I like the Prairie School and the Arts and Crafts movement. In addition, I also like aspects of the Art Deco and Bauhaus (also a good band).

structure-wise....I am fond of the Great Wall of China and the time and energy that was put into it concerning the resources they had.

I also love Frank O. Gehry. He designed the Fredrick Weisman Gallery on the University of Minnesota campus and sits on the Mississippi River. Most Minnesotans do not realize the archtectual gems they have on the campus (nevermind the great school of architecture at teh University.

Other favorite Gehry works of mine include the "Ginger and Fred Building" in PRague (haven't seen it, but I have read about it):

f8.jpg

and the Guggenheim in Bilbao (again, haven't been to it, but the Weisman looks just like it):

3.jpeg

When I visited Paris...I loved all of the architecture...especially the old churches. Oddly, one of my favorite buldings was the Centre Pompidou (modern art museum). It is the very modern building amongst all the quaint old building in Paris. From the top floor (seventh, I think), you have a great and unique view of the city. I took a lot of pictures from up there.

cid_2348201.150.jpg

When I travel, I love seeing and exploring architecture. I love "great" (gathering) spaces, like churches, train station and museums.

sorry for the long post. Architecture is something I really get excited about.

sorry...more....

Eero Saarinan's TWA Terminal at JFK Airport (formely Idlewild) in NYC. Unfortunately, this terminal is now outdated with the change in aircraft and security...and they may demolish it :( .

F00020.JPG

F00015.JPG

F00003.JPG

I have always been fond of airports. I know, funny that I work for an airline now. :rolleyes:

Paris' Charles De Gaulle Terminal 1 is one of my favorites. I also love Denver's new terminal. I was also quite fond of the art and architecture of the Vancouver airport.

i don't know how to say the english equivalents of the russian architecture i was going to post, so i can't go find pictures in google :huh:

you know what i hate? the post-modernaist structualist whatever you call it concrete stuff around campus.

Gaudi :up: I really REALLY want to go to Barcelona to see the Gaudi architecture there

I'm also a big fan of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. His buildings weren't necessarily the most exciting on first impressions from the outside, but the way they tie in with the interiors make them very special for me. I love Mackintosh interiors

hillhouse.jpg

hfa-music-piano.jpg

hfa-music-window.jpg

hfa-music-room.jpg

hfa-music-fire.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the Scottish Art Nouveau foursome were interesting... you can see CRM's influence on modern furniture in many respects.

The French influenced American Art Deco constructs in New York and Chicago are always fascinating... there's just something about the Chrysler Building.

Personally? Angkor Wat (some spell Ankor), the temple grounds in Cambodia are terrific. Analogous to the great garden parks of Europe in spacial complexity, but so distinct from other monuments of the world.

good thread yertle. you're helping me study.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
Notre Dame du Haut -Le Corbusier
Sydney Opera House -Jorn Utzon
Any Frank Lloyd Wright
Bauhaus -Walter Gropius also most of his designs
Casa Mila -Gaudi :heart: Art in Architecture :drool:
Guggenheim Museum -Frank Lloyd Wright, NY
Dome of The Rock -unknown architect, Israel

:heart:

Back
Top Bottom