IT'S OFFICIAL # Yay I dont have to go to work tomorrow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KhanadaRhodes said:
i've never seen an employer who'll pay you while you're at jury duty.

my employer does. i thought if you got chosen for jury duty your employer had to pay you if its during a time when you'd normally be working?

Mr. BAW said:

:up:

I have no chance in a trial since the matter is always Civil or Criminal...my former law enforcement experience keeps me out of the Criminal and since I work for the Insurance companies, the plaintiff sure as hell doesn't want me either!!!

:)
Mr. B - apparently our current career paths are similar....I'm in insurance as well. Used to be a claims asst (unlicensed position), but now I have my P&C and work as an agent. How 'bout you?

And seriously, on the whole jury duty thing: I've never even been called, and I realize it's a disruption to your regular schedule, but why do people hate it soooo much??? :shrug:

If I could afford to miss work I wouldnt mind at all. But just missing one day really affects my paycheck. Plus I am the only Legal Assistant at my office and they need me there.. my work piles up quick :mad:

This reminds me of the time when Marc Dutroux went on trial in Belgium and there were literally thousands of people sending in applications for jury duty because they wanted to put him away. :lol:

Sicy said:
If I could afford to miss work I wouldnt mind at all. But just missing one day really affects my paycheck. Plus I am the only Legal Assistant at my office and they need me there.. my work piles up quick :mad:

A law office that won't pay for your day at jury duty? Judges don't look kindly on that.

NB..have you ever been called for jury duty; have you ever been seated???? would your case load back up on you even if it was one or two days???

Many of us, me included, can't afford a day away from a case load.

:yikes:

Sicy said:
Well yes, instead of having 12 normal people decide your fate, you only have one judge.. I would imagine that's kind of rough on the person being tried :shrug:

In many cases there are 3 judges, so you're not dependent on the preferences, emotions and knowledge of just one person.

To drive is a privilege.
To serve jury is a duty.
To remain silent is a right.

Mr. BAW said:
NB..have you ever been called for jury duty; have you ever been seated???? would your case load back up on you even if it was one or two days???

Many of us, me included, can't afford a day away from a case load.

:yikes:

I've been called for jury duty, but booted from the box because I use to work with the prosecuting attorney.

Yes, workload doesn't stop, and if you are paid on a billable hour basis (as I was at one point in private practice), jury duty can create quite a hardship.

If I spent a day on jury duty, I would come back to 100+ emails and multiple issues that needed attention. I do not look forward to such a situation.

I've heard judges, from the bench, say they would want the names of lawfirms that would not pay their employees for jury duty (as a way to discourage us from making a hardship plea).

When I lived in San Jose (santa clara county) I got called for jury duty. The first day they did the screening process and I was up there and I told them that I just moved in with my sweetie to redwood city (san mateo county) so I got to leave. Whoohoo!

Sicy said:
I dont think you get paid for the first day :| And its $5 here :mad: :sad:

I just had Jury Doooootay today and we get paid $15 if chosen to serve on an actual jury. I was very close to being chosen on the jury when I was excused at the last moment. Normally I'm fine with doing my civic duty and showing up... but this was for a murder trial which would have lasted several weeks :no:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom