It's official What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Some of you know, some of you don't: (to make this short) I got an invitation to my cousin's wedding in May. At the start it was clear tops 3 members of my family are going - me and my two brothers; plus my grandma. Without mentioning being nervous in front of the unknown people and being in a dress (yikes! I feel soooo awkward in dresses), there's a recent new development:

my oldest brother said today that he may have to take some university exams - he finds out tomorrow. Apparently those exams probably take place at the end of May - so he's out in that case. Now my other older brother said "I'm not going if he's not going" which means it's just me and Grandma. So:

A) I go anyway, it may be fun

B) Why go if I'm gonna be the only one of my family?

go!

if everything else goes wrong I'll dress up as your brother and will go with you myself instead :up:

(might be a slight language barrier problem though
I hope your brother drinks a lot)

Why aren't your parents going? I'd make your whole family go.
I say go anyway... you usually end up having a blast at things you never wanted to go to in the first place.

I'd say go too...I'm sure there will be other relatives there as well, some you haven't seen in a long time, plus I agree with LMPA, you never know who you'll meet :sexywink:

They don't feel like going - the wedding's in Belgium, and the reception afterwards is in Germany, close to Belgium border. They say it's too far away and that they would feel too awkward - since men have to wear tuxidos and women have to wear formal/evening dresses. (because my cousin is marrying a "von" and it looks like it's gonna be a super-duper classy event. even the mayor of town and chief of police will be there.)

Well, there will be relatives - my uncle's family obviously, and some others from that family - but the rest of them I see VERY rarely. I'd have to use all my skills in German language.

:lol: Salome

Oh my god go! That sounds like so much fun! My cousin's marrying a 'von' :laugh:

You know, everyone I talk to mentions the "you might meet someone" theory. (right after the "we get to see you in a dress" line. blah)

That is, I'm afraid, the best case scenario - almost too optimistic.

What else info can I get you? Oh yeah, 250 guests (as if nervousness couldn't use a boost), the groom's family has an estate - that's where the reception will be, and the brunch the next day. Luckily dressing up is just for the reception part. Considering my cousin already has two women as house help, I'm guessing we're talking a la servants, various kinds of spoons/knives/forks on the tables (I read about the "go from the outside to the inside" idea about eating with those) etc... kind of classy. For all I know they might have a special kind of servant just to announce us at the estate during the reception!

I've met the groom twice so far, he seems nice and I heard his Mum is nice and not some uptight lady-like figure. Still that leaves me with making a good first impression with everyone else!

ooh I'd live to go to that wedding!

dressing up in formals...I've never done that before, I think it would be fun!

maybe you'll meet some really sexy guy too :sexywink: :hyper:

my knowledge of the german language isn't all that bad :hmm:
and I do look great in a tuxedo :hyper:

so when are we going?

I heard if you catch the bouqet you get married really fast!

Um, I can't take someone else because only invited people get to go. We even got special cards with our names on them and we should show them there so they'll let us in.

The latest news: the groom's parents invited the bride's family to sleep over at the estate on the night between the wedding/brunch. That also included Grandma.

Now, Grandma called this morning to say that apparently this invitation goes for me too...this is getting more and more interesting I admit.

This wedding saga is one of the most interesting things to happen in interference.com in a long time.
Honestly Maja, take Slomey, after all there's the von Trapp element. He'll do a lovely Julie Andrews after a few cans :D
If you're unsure about the knives and forks, just wait til others start eating and copy them. Thats what I do, and smile knowingly :D
I think it is so hilarious that the wedding is in Belgium then you have to go to another country for the reception. Well, its funny to me, I live on a gigantic arsed island and the thought of going 'overseas' afterwards just to eat....well, its a pisser!
But seriously, it sounds like you really want to go. Think of this too, at weddings no one really pays attention to the guests (no offence). All eyes are on the bride for the main part. Your shyness and reserve will most likely help you blend in too, aristocracy loves demurity.
If it ends up being totally torturous, ring a cab and head back to the hotel and lounge by the pool. Tell your gran you have a massive headache and have to go.
But at least give it a shot! Weddings are usually fun.

Well I'm sorry to those of you who saw this in my journal already...I just thought it would be nice to get more opinions. I'm beginning to fear I'm going towards too much exposure with this. Yes, SAGA is the perfect word for it. For the last month or so since we got the invitation the majority of conversation between my Mum and Grandma (and often me) is "wedding this" and "wedding that". I don't know whether to :laugh: or :banghead: or :hyper: about it.

The wedding's in Belgium because parents (errr I think the groom's parents) declined church and they found a priest there who is willing to do it anyway. (I know...it's weird)

Hm...if I sleep over at their estate, should I buy a classy sleeping gown you think?

If I go as the only one from my family, that means I'll probably have to take my camera - and I'll probably have to be on some of the pics (ay ay ay) .
(that's not counting the possible official photographer there - but they'll probably focus on the happy couple)

U2girl said:
Um, I can't take someone else because only invited people get to go.

you can't take a friend? :der:

most weddings that are by invitation only usually say the name of the person who's invited + 1 guest :shrug:

Nope. It's only the invited person's name on our cards, no "+1 guest" thing.

*edit* You know I just thought of this: there's usually dancing at weddings, right? So...is it very likely lots of people will dance, or just I dunno the happy couple, their parents etc...? Because really, I'm not much of a dancer.
Also, do you think "old school" aristocracy folk still kiss a woman's hand when they're introduced to her? I mean, I won't mind if it's a young and cute fellow, but some old geezer...:huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom