It's Official: Thank God I Had My Fannypack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
I was just watching I Love the 90s Part Deux on Vh1 and wished we could all be together to watch it.

"Never trust a big butt and a smile." Truuu! :dance:

beli said:
umm, can I ask what a "fannypack" is please? Cause a "fanny" in Australia is a womans secret bits...... :uhoh:

Same here.

I thought maybe it was an unfortunate name for a "bum bag", those things you see the tourists with their cameras swinging from their necks wearing around their waist.

Ah, okay. We have "bumbags" here. People who do long distance walking have them.

But I'm still lost. Whats the correlation between watching tv and a bumbag? :scream:

The lack of an international form of English can be really annoying sometimes :mad:

Aha! Thank you. I thought you ment you had tissues in your bag to cope with the crying induced by a movie on tv, hence the "Thank God I Had My Fannypack" .lol

And I thought I was doing so well to have worked out that VH1 was a tv station :sigh:

lol

also known by people who didnt want to be known as wearing fanny packs as " lumbar satchel"...lol. Please! you still look like a goof. :D

beli said:
umm, can I ask what a "fannypack" is please? Cause a "fanny" in Australia is a womans secret bits...... :uhoh:

Yeah, in the UK it's bumbag, and 'fanny' means the same as in Australia. I remember my first night in the States (lived there for a few years when I was a kid), I was watching America's Funniest Home Videos. There was a shot of an old lady falling on her arse. The jingle with it went:

Gee my name is Granny and I've fallen on my fanny.

That was extremely traumatising for an 11 year old English kid, clueless about the transatlantic variations in the meaning of the word fanny!

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this I Love the 90s much better than the first one. The first series was a lot more irritating for some reason.

It always amusing me how some things dont translate well internationally. Usually its the other way around, usually its the USA people who are more conservative with their words.

But in this case, its the other way around. Fanny is a word not spoken in polite company here. It's no where near as bad as the C word but it's really not a word uttered by anyone other than dirty old men.

It's so weird to see the word flash across the thread list. lol. :huh:

So how does a song like the BeeGee's Fanny Be Tender (With My Love) go over in Australia and the UK? :laugh:

Ooh, be tender with my love;
You know how easy it is to break me.
Fanny, be tender with my love,
'Cause it's all that I've got
And my love won't forsake me.

:ohmy:

The first time I really heard this was on that bloody annoying The Nanny when the intro sings about her being out on it. I was mortified as it was Prime Time tv.

I'm curious how it ever got to be about bums anyway as it came from the common English name Fanny back in the day and as most rude things were, back then, took on an actual Name to ease the sting.
:slant:

Curious :lol:

~LadyLemon~ said:
I'm enjoying this I Love the 90s much better than the first one. The first series was a lot more irritating for some reason.

Yeah! Part Deux is much better than the first series.. it felt so flat for some reason (even though it's terribly rushed).

I'm enjoying the linguistic discussion too :) (hope i didn't offend anyone with the word "fanny") but here's the show she and I are talking about (it's 90s nostalgia stuff):
http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/i_love_the_90s_part_deux/series.jhtml

beli said:
It always amusing me how some things dont translate well internationally. Usually its the other way around, usually its the USA people who are more conservative with their words.

But in this case, its the other way around. Fanny is a word not spoken in polite company here. It's no where near as bad as the C word but it's really not a word uttered by anyone other than dirty old men.

It's so weird to see the word flash across the thread list. lol. :huh:

I find that it'd mainly schoolkids who say "fanny" - 10 year olds trying to be naughty.

Back
Top Bottom