It's Official# Obsessive Compulsives - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > It's Official... > It's Official Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2003, 03:17 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:46 PM
It's Official# Obsessive Compulsives

I've noticed this website keeps track of a lot of stats. For instance: replies per thread, view counts, etc...

I think this is causing a lot of people to fret over their threads or journals... in some cases, causing them to refresh their journal repeatedly until they are masters of the viewing stat. What's with all the fuss? I think that I would be disturbed if my official RPE (replies per entry) count was high... who really wants to read my journal. That's probably a question no one wants to know the answer to...

So why does it feel like a competition...? Is it some deep down human desire to have recognition and praise... or has this site turned people into mindless zombies whose only purpose is to raise their post count so that they may sit atop the mountain of achievement...

enlighten me...

PS- I'm nearly at 2000... I'm so excited

Old 04-05-2003, 03:18 AM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:46 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about
I deny everything

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-05-2003, 03:23 AM   #3
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Salome! I just noticed you used my 'shake it' in your sig!
Old 04-05-2003, 03:24 AM   #4

I'm approaching 7,000 posts btw
Old 04-05-2003, 03:24 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:46 PM
statistics! numbers! sliding scales!

woooooo!

Old 04-05-2003, 03:28 AM   #6
you are what you is

I've lost control over my sig
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-05-2003, 03:29 AM   #7
Jesus Online

woohay!
Old 04-05-2003, 03:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I've lost control over my sig
Old 04-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #9
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
woohay!
sig shaker
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-05-2003, 03:34 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've lost control over my thread...

and I love it... because I have no idea what you're talking about...
don't stop on my account...
Old 04-05-2003, 04:54 AM   #11
Jesus Online

oh there's nothing to get really cujo, slomey is a dork. you can call him that if you like.

join the fun!
Old 04-05-2003, 05:00 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:46 PM
hey! watch where you're shaking that thing!
Old 04-05-2003, 05:04 AM   #13
you are what you is

Quote:
, slomey is a dork. you can call him that if you like.

join the fun!
woe

~Frank Zappa
Old 04-05-2003, 05:07 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I know you're having a good time and all.. but I think we're getting too many of these popularity contest threads. Some people actually feel bad when they're not mentioned...
The Filibuster: Mr. Cujo goes to Interference...

I'm not in the mood to start a battle over this, but isn't this creating a bit of a double standard. I've seen some nasty replies to threads, even from some of those that preach the above message. By all means say what you will about threads... if someone is offended give them a right to gripe in response. Don't close threads and pretend like nothing happened. This whole website is a popularity contest I'm happy to lose... with all the thread replies and ratings, no wonder people are feeling left out...

If anything, the rating system is more demoralizing than anyone disagreeing with you. It is anonymous and in my opinion a coward's way out... if someone has something to say, they should voice it in a reply, not just a smilie or a thumb (a necessity for a rating to be posted). Unfortunately lately, a lot of threads have resulted in closures and conflicts... which were most likely not the intentions of the thread authors in the first place.

I respect the positions of all the moderators and anyone that visits this forum. The only thing I ask is for this sentiment to be reciprocated, equally to everyone. Passion and heated arguments sometimes result in good ideas... not everything degenerates into verbal assaults...

I'm sorry if anyone is offended by this, for that was not the intention. It's all in the spirit of free speech and assembly... a pursuit that I hope everyone can appreciate. By all means if you disagree with me say something... don't mutter something under your breath and submit a rating of one (unless you feel it necessary)...

if you would like a copy of this rant please send one American dollar to Igloo #1, Canada city, Canada...
Old 04-05-2003, 05:13 AM   #15
Jesus Online

um, did you post this in the wrong thread cujo?
these things really shouldn't drag over from other threads, or private discussions and the like, not to accuse you...but its just a bit of courtesy.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:18 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
um, did you post this in the wrong thread cujo?
these things really shouldn't drag over from other threads, or private discussions and the like, not to accuse you...but its just a bit of courtesy.
Oh, I agree... but the thread I was going to post in was closed... and being the author of the thread I have no quams about anything being said here... say whatever you like. The only thing devoid of COURTESY would be to restrain your voice and type the same old complacent answer...

...but, in everyone's interest we can move on. Although I thought what I said was quite relevant to the thread subject... this thread will probably be closed anyways, so this reply is of no matter worth worrying about.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:32 AM   #17
Jesus Online

Hey, I'm not going to argue your points with you, to be honest I have no idea which thread you are talking about. Its more the fact that its a practice around Interf to not begin a new topic on a closed thread, or bring over things from that into another forum, in this case IO. Its preferred that its dealt with in a pm, or an email as you dont have pm. I'm sure Sicy wont mind talking with you about whatever the prob is. She's easy going about stuff ya know. I know you wantde to move on, but I just wanted to say that, incase you weren't familiar with it.

But moving on.....All I care about statistic wise is my post count. I watch it like a hawk. Well, I dont really, cos I believe there are forces out there determined to keep me at under 5000. And despite my stalking of Slomey and others in IO lately, its still not really near 5000

I want my 5000 dammit!
Old 04-05-2003, 05:48 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 08:46 PM
I Slom's new sig it makes me
Old 04-05-2003, 06:00 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Aww I made it for him daisy! Aren't I a good friend?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:02 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 08:46 PM
yesh

Now I offered you a quarter to post my choice of sig.....is 2 fiddy more than a quarter?