It's Official #It's (almost) a quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
This SARS virus that's been spreading like wildfire...

My mother visited the hospital on Tuesday. Now she's been told to quarantine herself. No outside, no other contact. She can still see us, her immediate family, but shouldn't go near outsiders. No work. She can't visit her mother (who's really sick as well with the shingles) because if she has, in the odd chance, contracted SARS, she'll pass it on.

My brother, sister, and I can still attend school. We're not to visit any outside relatives either, just in case :sad:. There have already been many reported cases of SARS at the hospital my mother visited. The virus may take 10 days to manifest itself.
Although the odds are slim that she may contract it, this entire situation, SARS epidemic wordwide, is incredibly terrifying.

And so we wait.

Last edited:
:crack: This SARS thing... it's starting to freak me out. [enterstupid question] What are the symptoms? Have people died? [/endstupidquestion]

Angel said:
:crack: This SARS thing... it's starting to freak me out. [enterstupid question] What are the symptoms? Have people died? [/endstupidquestion]

I heard on the news today that 15 people have died from it.

To: Sweetest_ Thing, I hope that your mom will be alright. She'll be in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

a friend of my parents is in hospital with a suspected case in burligton, they think he should be fine as he is feeling better and my parents havent seen him for weeks.
sweetest_thing, hope your family is well.

it does seem to be spreading quite extensively throughout the greater toronto area...i know another family in quarantine in the downtown area...but overall im impressed with how little it has spread to other north american cities, given all the travel

Firstly, thank you so much (to all) :hug: You guys are incredible.

Second, to answer all the questions (and there are NO stupid questions here):

SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) is akin to the rapid onslaught of severe pneumonia. Symptoms include cough, shortness of breath, headache, fever over (100.4F r approx 38 C), muscular stiffness, loss of appetite, malaise, confusion, rash, and diarrhea. The biggest risk here is that it is spread so quickly (through close contact. There is no evidence yet of it being an airborne virus) but it's difficult to treat b/c it is so contagious.

So far (as of March 28, 2003), there have been about 53 deaths out of 1,485 confirmed cases (according to the World Health Organization).

Cases originally began in Singapore, Vietnam, China, and Hong Kong. It has spread (via travellers) to Europe (I heard Slovenia had a few cases), and now Canada. I live slightly north of Toronto. There have already been a few cases reported up here. It seems to be spreading very quickly. A worldwide epidemic?

The centre for public health is actually really helpful. They're dropping off antibacterial stuff, thermometer, masks, etc at our house tomorrow. As well, they've got my mom's name on a lost and are going to call here everyday (to check if she's feeling well).
At least my mom is incredibly optimistic. She's like 'A week off from work? Whoo hoo!' :crack:

My aunt was scheduled to have a C-section on Friday. Her hospital is quarantined, so they sent her home, resvehduling for Saturday. Then they rescheduled for Sunday. We just got word that they've moved it back again. The hospitals are only taking extreme emergencies. This is serious.

:hug: all of ya!

Last edited:
thanks for the info, Sweetest Thing...this is very scary...I heard that they will be screening for this at airports :up:

DOnt be too worried about it hitting the US just yet. Nobody with so much as the flu is getting on a plane any time soon!

Here in Singapore they've shut schools down till next Monday. Every day when I wake up another few cases pop up, both here and outside. It's worrying, and I don't think there'll be a cure if it's a coronavirus.

All we can do is hope and pray for the best. Good luck to your mum.

So they showed the nitwit from upstate New york on TV today - throwing a football around. :der: He may have infected his three sons.

This stuff is scary - especially knowing that we have two flights a day coming from Asia (one directly from China) right to where I work. Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom