It's Official: I am the Master of Procrastination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Case(s) in point. Major Shakespeare research paper. Last fall. I need 7-10 sources, 3000 words, etc. We've known about this assignment since the first day of class. The next day is the last. I start my research, crack the first book for the first time, at around 9:00 that night. I get together information on patterns (or lack thereof) of the treatment of the supernatural and magic in Shakespeare. I write the paper, finishing around 4 AM. I turn it in the next day... and I get an A.

American Literature part 1: We're supposed to link two things we've read to a modern work of literature, film or art. I write an 8 page paper on The Godfather comparing it to The Autobiography of Ben Franklin and the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. I get the only 100 the professor gave for the assignment. :)

American Lit Part 2: Different professor. Same deal, I've known about the assignment all semester. 2500 words. I know that one of the things I'm going to write about is Hemingway's "Big Two-Hearted River." I decide to write about "The Old Man and the Sea" as well. I read the book for the first time the night before the paper was due. I then spent four hours doing quick research and writing the paper, finishing it about 5 minutes before class was supposed to start. Grade: 95

The Novel: 8 pages on Nabokov. Start it while away at a Medievalism conference in New Hampshire. Don't pick it up again until 11 O'Clock the night before it's due. I write 8 more pages that night. Final grade: "A, you've really picked up on the subtleties and nuances of Nabokov's work" After reading Pale Fire, re-reading Lolita was a breeeeeze and easy to analyze for violent content (everyone focuses on the sex).

That's all last year. And all English classes. But I've lately found that it works elsewhere as well.

Political Science, Intro to American Government. I HATE government, I hate politics, I hate studying about it. I've done minimal reading for the class. Anyway, the prof gives us the assignment two weeks in advance. It's 6 questions, 3-4 pages each. But that's what the syllabus says. According to the individual sheet he gives us, it says a max of 12 pages. So, around 9:00 the night before it's due, I begin writing this beast of political science. I finish around 3 in the morning. I freak out for the next week worrying about my grade. And I get an A-. How cool is that? I suppose I should feel guilty for all of this, but nevertheless....

My most recent venture is in English Lit Part 1. I did all my research the morning it was due, spanning about 7 articles in the Chaucer Review and a few essays in our critical edition of the Wife of Bath's Tale. I decide to focus on the divergent feminist criticisms of the tale, being a)Alisoun is an empowered woman, b) Alisoun is the unwitting victim of the patriarchal society, and c) Chaucer was just writing a satire about the idea of an empowered woman, and made Alisoun the embodiment of all medieval female stereotypes. I'm reasonably confident that this is one of the best papers I've ever written, and one with lots of evidence to back up my thesis (or theses, rather). Anyway, I delayed as usual but I htink the grade is gonna be great.

The only papers I remember attacking right off the bat were for a Film Studies class and sociology. I wrote a sociological analysis of "Darkness on the Edge of Town" by Bruce Springsteen the day we got the assignment, and started doing research on the Stanley Kubrick paper as soon as I got a night off. Mabye it has something to do with my interests...

Anyway, I'm an evil procrastinator that should be shot for doing so well (though I do put in a lot of effort) without taking proper preparatory time for my assignments. It's official.

Back
Top Bottom