It's Official - Friday cant come fast enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, most of the photo ops werent working :grumpy:

I swear I am too old for this lol. After every ride we were like .....uhhhhhhhhhgh vomit. So we took breaks and we were ok. It was a lot of fun though :up:

Maybe you can build a tolerance? Go often enough and it won't a/effect you as much. Glad you had fun though!

When I went last weekend, I posed at all the camera spots (I've been going to KD since I was a fetus), only to find they weren't working either. I wonder if it isn't going to be as common as it used to be.

holy mother of g-d!

Outage Leaves Roller Coaster Riders Dangling
AP
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (June 10) - A dozen riders on a roller coaster spent half an hour hanging upside down - 150 feet above the ground - after a power outage shut down the attraction.

It took about 30 minutes for the city Fire Department to rescue the riders using a ladder truck Saturday evening, said Aundrea Crary, spokeswoman for the Springs & Crystal Falls amusement park.

Spectators cheered when the riders were brought to the ground from the highest point of a loop on the X-Coaster, but one passenger threw up after reaching safety.

The X-Coaster was one of several rides brought to a halt by the outage that originated somewhere near the park.

"You could tell who got off the (X-Coaster) because their faces were red," said Angela Salter. She was riding the Gauntlet, another coaster, and said park employees worked quickly to free her.

The park resumed normal operations, although the X-Coaster remained closed.

One X-Coaster passenger, Jay Plummer, 37, was taken to St. Joseph Mercy Medical Center in Hot Springs after complaining of neck pain and a headache.

"It was very scary," said his girlfriend, Connie McBride. "I love the amusement park, but I will never get on the X-Coaster again."

The park has experienced outages before, but usually they last only seconds, said Dan Aylward, Magic Springs president and general manager.

Entergy Corp. was investigating but crews found no faulty wiring.

"The cause could be a (tree) limb or as simple as an animal (on the lines)," said Mark Hunt, general manager of customer service for Entergy. "We could find no faults, but we are going to continue to investigate until we find the cause."

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...s/20070610175609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Ok that's horrible. I cant imagine being upside down for 30 minutes! I'd barf too!

Dude I would seriously be freaking out.

I would keep thinking that the bars would come undone and we'd fall out.

I mean, if its a power failure issue, why DIDNT the bars come undone?

:crazy:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/21/six.flags.accident/index.html

Girl's feet severed on ride at Six Flags in Kentucky

(CNN) -- A girl's feet were cut off Thursday when a free-fall thrill ride malfunctioned at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Amusement Park in Louisville, Kentucky, police said.

A cord wrapped around the 16-year-old's feet and severed them at her ankles while she was on the "Superman Tower of Power," a police dispatcher said. The girl was taken to a local hospital.

An unidentified witness told CNN affiliate WLKY she saw a cable on the ride snap.

"The people on the ride just came and hit the ground," she said. "When I got up there, the lady she was just sitting there, and she didn't have no legs. ... And she was just there, calm, probably in shock from everything."

"That could have been all of us -- riding that ride," witness Whitney Sandfer told CNN affiliate WDRB/WMYO.

The incident took place shortly before 5 p.m. ET, according to Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg. The park remained open, but the ride in question was shut down and will remain so until the full investigation is complete, Goldberg said.

During the ride, passengers are lifted to 177 feet, suspended momentarily and then dropped, according to the park's Web site.

Passengers drop 154 feet at 54 mph, stopping "just 20 terrifying feet above the pavement," it adds.

"I seen the car go up. Then, like, the cable broke, I heard -- pwchh -- and I heard a lot of people screaming," Chris Stinnett, who was at a ride next to the Superman Tower of Power, told WDRB/WMYO.

"The cable went under the car -- and I seen it pull up and hit a lot of people -- and I seen them bring their legs up," Stinnett said.

The ride was introduced in 1995.

Now they say she's 13.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/22/six.flags.accident/index.html

Teen who lost feet on amusement park ride has surgery

(CNN) -- A teen whose legs were severed in an accident at a Kentucky amusement park has undergone surgery, a park spokeswoman said Friday.

Spokeswoman Carolyn McLean said she has been in touch with the 13-year-old girl's family and believed the girl is still receiving treatment at the University of Louisville Hospital.

Hospital spokeswoman Julie Gordon would not discuss details of the surgery or recovery, citing patient privacy.

The girl's name was not released because she is a minor.

The girl's feet were completely amputated just below the ankle Thursday afternoon while riding the Superman Tower of Power at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville.

Her feet were recovered by Six Flags staff and were sent to the hospital with her, McLean said.

During the Tower of Power ride, passengers are hoisted aloft, suspended momentarily, then pulled down, according to the park's Web site. Passengers -- secured with bars and seat belts but with arms and legs free -- drop 154 feet at 54 mph, stopping "just 20 terrifying feet above the pavement," the Web site says.

A police dispatcher said a cord wrapped around the girl's feet while she was on the ride.

"I seen the car go up. Then, like, the cable broke ... and I heard a lot of people screaming," Chris Stinnett, who was at a ride next to the Tower of Power, told CNN affiliate WDRB/WMYO-TV in Louisville.

"The cable went under the car -- and I seen it pull up and hit a lot of people -- and I seen them bring their legs up," he said. (Watch witnesses describe the accident )

"We are not confirming that happened," McLean said. "There was a lot of misinformation from witnesses."

The ride will remain closed until a full investigation by state officials and "our team of experts" is conducted, McLean said.

The inspectors will interview staff members, witnesses and speak with the girl and her family, she said.

"Every ride, every investigation is different," she said.

The rest of the park was operating as normal on Friday.

Just saw on my local news that they closed the same ride at the park I just went to. They're made by the same manufacturer. They want to test it and check it all out to make sure its safe.

:uhoh: I'm going to Six Flags on monday....

:wink: and disneyland paris thursday...

:lmao: and these stories aren't enough to put me off rollercoasters!

Honestly, how often do you hear about an accident like this? RARELY. Just about as often as you hear about a plane crash. So, overall I feel that they are safe. It's just one of those freak things that happens every once in a while unfortunately.

Bonochick said:
I love rollercoasters...but now that I'm "old", they just make me get sick, so I can't ride them anymore. :sad:

I used to love them but now that I am old they make me sick. Even looking at those pics Sicy posted made my stomach churn and my face turn green! :eyebrow: I never used to get motion sickness, but now I can't even ride in the backseat of a car without feeling sick. It's horrible.

I also agree these amusement park ride accidents don't happen that often, but the Press sure loves to report on them. Thrill seekers will still keep riding them no matter how many unfortunate accidents are reported.

Last edited:
Sicy said:
Honestly, how often do you hear about an accident like this? RARELY. Just about as often as you hear about a plane crash. So, overall I feel that they are safe. It's just one of those freak things that happens every once in a while unfortunately.

yes exactly, and I've never heard about any problems in the theme park here... :wink: so who knows, I might make it on the news some day...

Sicy said:

Yep...they're still a foot whackin' rush-of-blood-to-the-head good time. :happy:

:grumpy: the superman was closed today... for the whole bloody day! damnit!

:hyper: but the Goliath 2 times in a row is nice to do twice..:D

Back
Top Bottom