its official driving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
please give me your best driving tips.

do i stop at a red light when i have to make a right turn?

when yielding to turn left, if the light turns red and im still in the turning mode in the middle of the intersection, do i keep going?

i lost my driver handbook. im teachable.

teach me.

Yes, you have to stop at all red lights...if you are turning right you still have to stop and make sure no traffic is coming, and then you can turn right on red (depending on the state laws).

If you're literally in the middle of the intersection and the light changes, keep going, or someone may hit you. If you are waiting to turn at the light itself and it turns red, then you have to wait.

I'm an excellent driver [/rainman immitation]

Yeah what daisy said. Always stop at red lights to turn like they're a stop sign. Look for signs that say "no turn on red" or you'll get it.. :uhoh:

Oh and when you're getting on the freeway to merge.. SPEED UP. I hate those drivers that go all slow when merging :angry:

hehe...im scared to have sicy drive behind me if im merging on the freeway:uhoh:

i haven't been on the freeway yet:reject:

here's some driving tips

*if someone is on the roundabout and you are left of me, GIVE WAY! Dont just pull out so I can t-bone you! (stupid woman in an Excel today)

*if i am in a turning lane and doing about 30km/hr as is the norm, sitting on my arse in a lame attempt to make me speed up will only make me go slower to give you the shits! (bastard in a Ute yesterday)

*never overtake in the right lane and then cut into the turning lane going left (numbnuts P plater also yesterday)

Argh. People make me mad.

Icelle, just drop a gear and floor it when you merge onto a freeway. Speed is the key. So just drop back, floor it, and pray.
:D

Angela Harlem said:
Icelle, just drop a gear and floor it when you merge onto a freeway. Speed is the key. So just drop back, floor it, and pray.
:D

Or just floor it if you've got an automatic. I also hate people who slow down on onramps. More speed makes merging A LOT easier.

Also, USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS. They're not just decorations. :D I hate people who try to squeeze in front of me but don't bother signalling, or people who just don't signal at all (especially when turning left :mad: ). If you're signalling in advance that you need to get in front of me, I'll almost always let you in. If you don't signal and just try to muscle your way in, then you're not going to get in anywhere except behind me. :evil:

Oh, one more thing, if a lane is closing off ahead when you're on the freeway, merge early. The biggest reason traffic slows to a crawl when the lanes go down by 1 or 2 is because dumb people wait until the absolute last second to merge (because they get to move a few precious car lengths further ahead), forcing everyone behind them to slow down to a crawl to let their asses in. Merge well before so you're not impeding the flow of traffic.

That's enough bay-area-drivers-inspired ranting from me. :)

Last edited:
hehe...my thread turned into a bad drivers bitchfest...

thanks for your tips....keep em coming, please.

diemen, i always use my turn sigs. its an automatic for me.

for those who want me to speed up when merging, won't there be some assholes who won't let me into the lanes? i dont want to get hit...thats my thing.

i had my license for a little over a year...im just starting to use it now...i think im getting the hang of driving around the neighborhoods and small cities.

fizzing, driving scares me every day:crack:

I want to drive, but I don't have a car...and you don't need a car in DC.

But Icelle, isn't driving a necessity in LA? How did you manage to get around before? :confused:

driving is a necessity in LA, but i didnt have a car before. i usually took the bus most of the time. sometimes relied on my friends for rides which was rare...but most of the time it was public transportation for more than 10 years.

When I was with April in downtown Detroit, I learned that it's not good to drive the wrong way down a one way street. :lol: :uhoh: :silent:

It was dark, and the road construction confused me...I didn't know where to go...:reject:

icelle said:
driving is a necessity in LA, but i didnt have a car before. i usually took the bus most of the time. sometimes relied on my friends for rides which was rare...but most of the time it was public transportation for more than 10 years.

Wow, that's amazing! I admire you for that. Taking public transportation has made me a very patient person. :|

You can practice your freeway driving when you come to visit me...which you are going to do right? :D

and bg84 is right...always keep your doors locked.

bonosgirl84 said:
and keep your doors locked...you live in l.a.

i don't want to have to whoop anyone's ass for carjacking you :mad:

Keep them locked anywhere to prevent falling out.

You are also able to prevent people from jumping out of a moving vehicle because they first have to hit the lock to unlock it before moving for the door handle. If the door was unlocked, it would just take the move for the door handle. That's another reason you should make people wear seatbelts because they have to unbuckle before they can jump out. Well, except for this one car I rode in.

icelle said:
for those who want me to speed up when merging, won't there be some assholes who won't let me into the lanes? i dont want to get hit...thats my thing.

Just try to estimate where you will squeeze in, which cars you will squeeze between when merging and adjust your speed so that you will fit in there smoothly. Its when people brake, and then speed up, then brake.. its like MERGE already!!

icelle said:

Actually, your chances of getting hit are much higher if you're moving significantly slower than the traffic you're merging into, because, unless you find a wide open spot (which is a rarity on the LA freeways) whoever is behind you is going to have to slow down a lot or slam on the brakes to let you get in and speed up to freeway speed. And you've also got a much higher chance of some asshole not letting you into the lane, because you're moving so slow compared to them. If you're moving slow, you're going to need a bigger opening to be able to accelerate into, but if you're already moving at close to freeway speed, then you don't need as big a space, and it's easier for other cars to let you in.

zonelistener said:
Remember: The glove compartment is for gloves.

Yeah...let's all remember that people do not fit in the glove compartments.

Therefore, there is no reason to, in your drunken stupor, rip the glove compartment open in an attempt to find your friend, therefore breaking the glove compartment. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom