It's official ... could it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
That anything I try turns crappy ASAP?

Must be some kind of spell or a curse.

Prolly the worst day ever at work (seriously I don't think I can go back there on Monday) - I barely made it to home without crying - and at home I had a huge cry (and I can't remember the last time I really cried about something), and still I get all teary just thinking about it.

Gotta get some sleep, unless I won't calm down.

I can't work like that anymore.

Being nervous at a first real job,
getting critisism almost every single day - and so by now just waiting who'll chop away at my self esteem next,
getting to know with a lot of new things
making mistakes due to first three points

today was just the final blow with being yelled at and apparently i'm stupid.

Edit: plus now I'm all confused what things I can do and what I can't do. Maybe office work isn't my thing - maybe I should try something else, or go to school. If I have this much trouble now, imagine what will happen at a regular job?

Last edited:
Thats not cool. Everyone makes mistakes. Try not to let it bug you too much. :slant:

Aw dont worry about it, last year when I turned 16 and got my first time job- i was working in a big supermarket at the tills....and there were allt hese ppl coming to me with weird fruits and vegetables and i used to give these ppl so much free food cus i didnt wanna look dumb.....:reject: It was kinda funny though.....

U2girl said:
today was just the final blow with being yelled at and apparently i'm stupid.
if your boss talks to you like that then leave while your self-respect is still intact

find another job
go to school
but don't let anyone make you question your abilities

No No No. I hate seeing people like you do this to yourself Maja.
You are not stupid, you know that. *I* know that and I dont even know you in real life.
You are not incapable either of doing this kind of work. You must know that as well. Please read what Salome said, you can't ever let someone like this destroy your confidence.
This is your first job in such an atmosphere. It is very hard adjusting to it, even though the work itself may not be very difficult, adjustment is not always smooth sailing. You know better than anyone what your capabilities are Maja. They dont suddenly disappear (what tasks you are capable of that is) when someone decides to treat you like this. Dont let this person's unfair treatment of you question yourself. There are probably a thousand reasons why you had a day like this, and I sincerely doubt it has much to do with how good you are at this kind of work. The fact that it is your first post in this kind of work is a huge factor and you must not let it get you down. You would have inadvertantly put yourself under a certain amount of pressure to do well when you started at the company, you want to prove that you can do it. But until we learn how a workplace operates and how we function in that workplace, it is not always going to be easy.
Are you there because of help with an employment agency? Maybe talk to someone who helped place you in this position, see if you can pass on some of your concerns.

:hug: Maja. Dont let this be a huge problem. Do whatever it is you need to keep yourself happy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you for going through this. You are smart and capable. Leave if you need to. No job is worth crying for. Dont be sad. :(

Lara Mullen said:
Aw dont worry about it, last year when I turned 16 and got my first time job- i was working in a big supermarket at the tills....and there were allt hese ppl coming to me with weird fruits and vegetables and i used to give these ppl so much free food cus i didnt wanna look dumb.....:reject: It was kinda funny though.....

:lol: I was the same way when I took a grocery store job! I had no idea what some of the fruits and veggies were! I would just pick up the questionable item, look at the customer with an inquisitive expression and say, "I'm sorry, but I do not know what this is."

"What did you say lil' missy?!!"

"I don't know what this is ma'am/sir."

"Girl! Them there's some collard greeeens!! And that there's a rhutabega!!"

Me: :crazy: :mad: :der: :huh: :|

:hug: U2g :hug: I'm sorry you're having a rough go at it, girlie. Office jobs are so hard because to them you are replaceable, and so thus they often observe no manners of common decency. If you think that you'll ever enjoy your job, then try to stick it out. First days are hard on everyone (not at all to excuse the way you've been treated). I've walked out on several jobs because of my self-esteeem taking a beating, and I've never regretted it.

However, always make sure there's a net everytime you jump - if you really need a job, and the job market is tough where you live, make sure you have a Plan B.

thank you all for listening

Sicy said:
Try not to let it bug you too much. :slant:

Funny you should mention it - for about a month now, every "work" morning of the week now, I get this trow-up like reflex in my stomach.
:blargh: You know? Not that I'd really throw up or anything, just "blaaah". Stomach feels a bit woozy, but it gets better after that.

:shrug:

And actually, I can remember the last cry I had - about the universitiy problems.

Blargh - today is a bit better but still it brings me down to think about it. I don't know...on one hand, internship is important because it's easier to get a job later on - on the other hand, I wouldn't want to do it at any cost. I'm 1 3rd of the way through but...

*not related but I took the first two parts of the test today - speaking, which was OK but i forgot one of the things i was supposed to do - and listening which wasn't hard*

...and on a lighter note, I had a great comforting PM talk (on yahoo, not here) with a really great someone - right about the time I posted the thread too!

HelloAngel said:

I would just pick up the questionable item, look at the customer with an inquisitive expression and say, "I'm sorry, but I do not know what this is."

"What did you say lil' missy?!!"

"I don't know what this is ma'am/sir."

"Girl! Them there's some collard greeeens!! And that there's a rhutabega!!"

Me: :crazy: :mad: :der: :huh: :|

:lmao: I totally picture some southern accent with this.

Collard greeens?!? Rhutabega?!? What kind of names for vegetables/fruits are that?

Right...had a talk with my family and now the plan is I'll talk to my boss tomorrow, about the nervousness etc... and hope for the best.
I can still quit later on.

yeah you need to talk to your superiors about this...looks like your already planning to..

the first couple months at my job were rough too. I finally gutsed up and sat them down and literally asked them if i was cutting it or not. Cuz they werent making me feel like it. And i know i know what i'm doing so it had to either stop or i had to quit. one of the 2.

They were blown away, and had not realized they were making me feel this way. They were very impressed with my uh "balls" so to speak and its been a great work environment ever since.

Theres no reason you should be feeling this way, especially if your new. You should be asking questions, i mean, would they rather you just do things without knowing stuff? and screw it up?

Talk to them. Hope it goes as well as mine did :D If it doesnt, ditch the crap job and find a new one.

:hug:

Ugh...yeah I talked to the boss

As soon as I started talking, my voice started shaking like never before (it gets shaky if I'm nervous or sad, but this was a MAJOR shake) - if it was gonna last 5 minutes or so longer I'd probably start crying, as I already had eyes all watery by the end.

He seems to understand, though - they will try to be patient with me, and if there really is no other way, I can still find something else.

So :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom