ITS OFFICIAL #857 (Religion Rant)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I removed this, because I'm embarrased over it...lol.

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 02-28-2002).]

I know its easy to say "ignore it" but seriously.. you and Bubba AGAIN? You're both gonna get yourselves in trouble. No matter who said what, you're both at it again.

frown.gif

I think I'm going to accidently DELETE FYM.

FYM hasn't been about discussion for quite some time now
it's about a few people yelling very hard at eachother

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

melon
frown.gif

You did an excellent job. You fought the good fight and I commend you for that. It is unfortunately true that you and bubba will never agree on this and many other issues. Although you were not able to get through to bubba, it is my belief that others reading that thread needed to hear what you had to say. Probably someone else who has been made to feel sinful and bad just for being themselves. You know, you are one of my favorite people ever.

I believe in love.

Well, Sicy...I beat you to it. I decided to end the discussion. I am learning when "enough is enough."

We will always butt heads. However, it shouldn't get to the point of needing admin assistance. I'll see that it never does.

So, your life should be easier.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Anyway, I feel like an idiot for even posting this thread. I wrote it in anger, which is the worst way for me to write.

I take it all back, and I'm taking an extended break from FYM. I think I'm going to post here more...hehe.
smile.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I posted in that thread after the fact asking why it always turns that way, simply because I don't understand it.
You guys get yourselves so worked up and half the time you're putting yoursleves through stress that isn't necessary. We all know it affects you melon, because u comment on it a lot.
Everyone has their right to argue their points, of course and maybe what you can learn from it, because I think we can learn something from every situation, is that you can argue strong points until you are blue in the face but that doesn't mean the people you're trying to get through to will listen or change their mind and see it your way. They just won't.
Just remember, these are people who have no affect on your life, people you don't know or will ever know. Is itworth you feeling angry and upset over strangers?
Maybe you think its more about the principal, but you do have to think of yourself and what you let someone's opposing thoughts do to you personally.
That I know, is my biggest struggle with this place at times.
So I can understand where you are coming from.
Chill out in Its A Fish. Silliness abounds.

I just don't understand why is it necessary to have this argument over and over again. Every time it turns out like that. Although it's very interesting to read, sometimes I just want to smash up my computer.

Anyway, I agree with Calluna that you did an excellent job. Your posts are very well-written(as they always be). I really really like them.

Melon buddy -

O.K. - Intervention time!!!!!

I finally opened that thread today - I've been holding off reading it. Dude (and I hate using that word) - STAY OUT OF FYM!

Agree to disagree. I don't think you will get through some of these thick skulls. Ugh, I want to support you - but sometimes, people have there way of seeing stuff, and you can't budge them - Bubba, case in point.

i had been following that thread until it started getting ugly and embarrassing (which was no surprise given the topic and the people replying). i just checked it out and agree with zone - some people are impossible to reason with and they will never open their minds. you should not let them get to you. it's not worth it.

Well, honestly, you are all right. I do take it too seriously, but that topic especially, because it affects me personally. I wish I could just escape it completely, really, but I have to deal with this debate constantly in real life. I want it to end, but I don't want it to end just for the sake of ending, whereas conservative religion wins. I want my point to be put across, and if it still doesn't convince the person I'm debating, then so be it. At least I've made all of my points and maybe lurkers will know something they didn't know before.

Foreigners may never fully understand this, but religion is a major issue of contention in America. Not like Northern Ireland, where it has led to violence, but, especially since they have "one of their own" in the Presidency, they want to assert their muscle, which has absolutely no regard for anyone that doesn't think like them. I certainly have respected their right to believe as they do, as long as it doesn't infringe on my right to disagree, but they don't extend the same courtesy. They have the advantage with such "nice" names as "Christian Coalition" and "Focus on the Family," but, make no mistake about it: they have a very huge political agenda that is not very representative of all of Christianity nor all families; just their narrow view. I need to expose them for what they are.

Melon

------------------

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 03-01-2002).]

Oh, Melon, Salome reminded me of something I wanted to state, just not in FYM where the apocalypse (sp?) would happen....

My uncle is gay, and he is a brother AND a honorary nun (just went to the Vatican last month courtesy of an order). He is finishing his Doctorate in London right now - he's writing about Gay art in churches.

My other Uncle was a priest (now deceased) - not gay, but he more or less had a "wife" figure.

Back
Top Bottom