It's Officail #Serious question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Meringue

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Someone has hijacked my e-mail address and is sending a virus and who knows what else using my address. I keep getting returned e-mails that I did not send and e-mails sent to myself from myself. What is bad is that is my work e-mail address and has our company name in the address rather than it being an aol or yahoo address or something like that. Our e-mail administrator does not know how to stop this from happening. I have gotten at least 85 bad e-mails today. :scream:

Any smart computer person out there who can help me??? There probably isn't anything I can do, but I thought see if any of you smart people had heard anything. Is there some way I can trace back to them somehow and e-mail them a nasty message or something? :evil:

No, it is my work e-mail that all my customers use. It's on my business cards and stuff. I don't think that is an option. I guess I'll just hope that they'll quit in a day or two and start using someother poor sods address instead of mine. :(

paxetaurora said:
This thread might get more attention in Lemonade Stand...could an IO mod copy it there?

Sure, that would be cool. I just didn't want to bug people...ya know. :eek:

Lemon,

It depends on if the virus is using your computer to send itself out (it's infected), or if a third-party server or someone else's email is doing it (but making it look like yours).

The #1 thing I would do is make sure you have Norton Anti-Virus 2003 installed, and up-to-date, and scan the entire computer for viruses.

Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck.

Joel

I don't have my Norton virus definitions up to date...I know, I'm a :reject: and a week or so ago I got an email virus from work. I was able to download a patch from the norton Symantic website that should fix it, according to my manager. (I just haven't had time yet to run the patch on my computer :reject: ) You can download patches to fix certain viruses if you know what they are, for free from the Symantic website...I don't have the link to the website on me now cuz I'm at work, but I can look for it later when I get home. The virus I had was a Sobe something or other I can't recall now the name of it, but it was sent to me as an email that looked like someone from work had sent me an attachment, but no one had, it was the virus. I don't know if that's the same thing that you mean that's been happening on your computer or not? :shrug:

It's probably W32-Klez or a variant. It has nothing to do with you, but, rather, it reads the addresses in the server, and randomly chooses one. Since most all SMTP mail sends do not require usernames and passwords (unlike reading the mail), it is a fairly obvious exploit. If you can view the header, you can see who really sent it--or the server it hijacked to send the thread to begin with.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it, unless you can get your e-mail provider who runs the server to fix it.

Melon

Last edited:
Thanks Elvis and melon. :)

They are definitely sending from another place using my address as a "cover" of sorts. There are no outgoing messages from our server, so the messages are not being sent from our system. It looks like they use mindspring or something like that from what I can tell. I guess I'll just hope that they will quit using it soon. What is bad is that I get tons of aol and earthlink bounce backs and I get messages sent from myself to myself. The only person I know who has gotten the messages from me is my assistant. Wherever they got my address must have had her email address, too.

Since I use a Mac, the virus they send doesn't acually affect my computer...I guess that's the only good thing about it. :sigh:

melon said:
It's probably W32-Klez or a variant.

Melon
Symantec sent the instructions to run for detecting this virus, which I didn't have, but damn, thats a nasty bastard. I still had to re-install windows XP and lost everything. Started over from scratch because XP is such a bitch to re-install unless one is an IP manager of course. Dell helped some but it took buying a thousand page book to even get back on track. Geez it still isn't the same and I've never been able to retrieve alot of what I lost.
What ever virus I had corrupted all my files and my roomates. I couldn't even get online in May - for awhile. Darn these people who have nothing better to do that sabatoge internet users. They should put this talent to better use like finding terroist or something. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom