It’s official: I’m not under-skilled; I’m over-aged.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golightly Grrl

Refugee
I am currently temping at a local bank in their training department. I’m doing basic administrative assistant tasks while looking for a new job. A few weeks ago, I interviewed for a curriculum development type job in this department that would require strong writing and editing skills.

A couple of weeks ago, I was told that they decided to hire someone else who had more skills and qualifications than I. Okay, fine. It happens. And when I found out that the new hire was coming from a local major daily newspaper, I figured she was a former reporter or editor with years of experience and loads of impressive qualifications.

The new hire started last week, and if she is more qualified and skilled than I, then Bono is 6’5”!

She is only 22 and a recent grad with very little work experience and her time at the newspaper was as an intern fetching coffee and making copies for the reporters and editors. There is no way in hell her experience can compare to mine. I have written and edited news features, publicity and marketing materials, informational brochures, 30- second radio commercials, copy for a local radio show, and training curriculum. I also have several years of training under my belt because I worked as a tutor for several years and trained employees as a retail manager. All she’s got going for her is a more recent birth date.

Needless, to say I'm pissed. All my life I’ve been told that I need to gain the experience and pay my dues and when I do, I find out that it doesn’t compare to being young. I was discussing this with some friends and they thought that maybe my supervisors see me as a threat because I do have so much experience and good skills. Well, I’m a little sick and tired of people thinking of what’s good for their egos and not what’s good for the organization.

tell me about it. this happened in my case, except it was the other way around. i was hired BECAUSE i was young. i just know it. how else could i have beat out 150+ applicants for this job? i had the bare minimum of experience and no degree (which isn't necessary, but others in this job have degrees and i'm sure there were several college graduates who applied).

in my case, it was probably because they knew they could pay me less because of the lack of experience and education. then again i know people making more money than i could ever imagine :shh:

Back
Top Bottom