IO# Virtual Memory Too Low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reboot. :drool:

Rebooting fixes everything...kind of like how turning up the car radio to drown out loud sounds make you think it's all better now.

try deleting everything out of your 'temproary internet items' folder too. and reboot.

my motto: "when in doubt, reboot"

Happens to me when I have Photoshop amoung various other things open at once :crack:

Tell me your Windows version (i.e., Windows 98, 2000, XP, etc.), and I'll tell you how to fix it permanently.

Also, tell me how large your hard drive is, and how much free space is left.

Melon

i've had the same issue, and it was because i had about 9 windows of different programs open at once.

i deleted all my cache files and cookies and then everything was ok.

What I want to know is why is it that every time our computer technician comes out to fix a problem, new ones creep up the minute he leaves? :mad:

ohhhh I had this problem a week or so ago, it was popping up every hour or so, and then a friend of mine in brazil had it happen too... We figured it was some pop up thing making it happen as it only happened when we were both on the same site...

It hasn't happened since we both ran SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Hijack This and got rid of this "Evil Blue Search Bar" so we thought it was that.

but its prob something tooooootally different and much more technical. But anyway, like I said, since we both cleaned out the computers with the spy programs, it hasnt popped up... :scratch:

It'll probably haunt me again now... LOL!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
melon, it's windows xp.

This should work for Windows 2000, as well.

1) Right click on "My Computer."
2) Hit "Properties."
3) Hit the "Advanced" tab.
4) Under "Performance," hit the "Settings" button.
5) Hit the "Advanced" tab.
6) Now this is where I am going to make recommendations. Microsoft suggests that you allocate 1.5x the amount of RAM you have. Thus, if you have 512 MB of RAM, you should set it to 768 MB. However, it is always to your benefit to set it to as large as you can allow. For people like me, who have seemingly endless amounts of free hard drive space, I have it set at 4096 MB (e.g., 4 GB)--the maximum allowed. For many of you who like to run lots of programs and can spare 1024 MB (1 GB), then that is what I would suggest.

Click on the "Custom Size" radio button. Enter 1024 for the initial size and 4096 for the maximum size (I have 4096 set for both to keep it constantly at 4 GB), and I think that you'll all be just fine. Make sure to hit the "Set" button when finished (don't just hit "OK").

If you still get those "virtual memory too low" messages, just increase the initial size in 128 MB increments.

Melon

melon, on mine it says that Recommended is 381 mb. Sure its ok to change it?

As long as you make the number larger than the recommended, you'll be fine. I would never make it lower than 381 MB.

Melon

melon, can you recommend a good (and relatively cheap) external hard drive? i really need to get one. i have way too much stuff (i.e. mp3s) on my computer.

:crazy:

p.s. - we need another "ask melon" thread.

Tell me the size of the external drive you want, and I'll make a suggestion.

Melon

thank you so much! :)

this is probably a dumb question, but this hard drive will work on any computer, right? i don't have to do anything special? :der:

Back
Top Bottom